• Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Playoffs or not - it's fun to have a young QB playing so well. W e'll be looking forward to each game with JH as our new QB. And to think I didn't want them to draft him. lol
    It beats the hell out of all those QB less years wandering in the wasteland between Fouts and Humphries an then again till Rivers. Going from a HOF QB to what looks like a very promising rookie QB with a great head on his shoulders really takes the sting out of what could be a poor injury riddled season.

Comment

Originally posted by Critty View Post

:deadhorse:
      Seriously, has any other poster raised the question of why Herbert was not starting in week 1? I think my raising it for the first time in my post is pretty much the opposite of "beating a dead horse".

If you conclude that there was no meaningful change in Herbert's play from week 1 to week 2 (in practices), which I think is very reasonable, then why wasn't Herbert named the starting QB for week 1 in the first place?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I do not know where the troll aspect comes from when you have a head coach that fails to start the obviously superior QB from day one and then doubles down on the stupidity when confronted with the issue when it was clearly visible to every rational thinking analyst and media person just how much better Herbert is than Taylor. A great and yet unasked question concerns why Herbert was not named the starter at the outset. Unless your position is that Herbert suddenly transformed himself from how he was playing 5 seconds before the week 1 kickoff to the KC game, it is pretty darn obvious that Herbert was the better QB all along.

And yet Lynn named Tyrod as the starter. That is pretty clear evidence that there is a strong bias in favor of Tyrod. If Lynn had all of these days in practice to see them both, why is it that he could not see what it took the rest of us exactly one drive against Kansas City to see? I would submit that that is a pretty fair question.

Lynn stated that he wanted to take things slowly in his decision making process about the starting QB, which is why he delayed in naming Herbert as the starter. But that explanation is after the fact horse manure. If someone wants to leave the issue open, then he does what Belichick just did and indicates that he will evaluate the matter and decide. That is not what Lynn did. Lynn insisted that Taylor was his starter. And when he found himself on shaky ground for stating such a ridiculous view, he offered up some pretty weak reasons for his view that even included some criticism for the Browns and Baker Mayfield.

I think it would have been fine for him to say that he was going to take time and see how things went, but that is not what he did. He kept trying to force the Tyrod is the starter narrative on us. It seems very clear that that is the result that he wanted, but Herbert forced him to make a different choice because everyone could see that Lynn's reasons made no sense and demonstrated that Lynn was out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Lynn also knows that there is no reason not to develop Herbert, so that is why he had to commit to him for the rest of the season. In my view, any chance that Lynn has to remain as the head coach only exists if he plays a healthy Herbert. If he plays Herbert and the team has a losing record, he can fall back on the point that although there were numerous losses, he succeeded in developing his QB, laying the foundation for a successful future.

If Taylor plays, the team loses and Herbert does not get to develop for the future, that could easily be view as a pretty big failure on Lynn's part.

So Lynn was forced to make the change that he did based upon all of the factors involved.
        Why do you assume he was a better QB than Tyrod from day 1? I wouldnt assume that. He is a rookie from the Pac 12 and Tyrod is a vet NFL QB. Is Herbert more gifted and has more tools? Obsolutely but it doesnt mean he is obviosly better Day1 so im going to disagree with that. He had the speed of the NFL to deal with, and a new, much bigger playbook to learn with no NFL experience and we had no preseason games to see him play in a real game.

What we have seen is really a surprise to many of us that he has done this well so soon. He has made his rookie mistakes which we knew he would make. But lets also know that when DCs get more video of him, they will scheme against him better.

Daniel Jones started off not bad last year and now he looks awful. I'm aware the Giants arent a good team but Jones looked better last season with that same bad OL than he does this season. DCs are able to scheme better for him. Minshew not doing as well either, Haskins isnt looking good but apparently he is kinda lazy and doesnt study hard for games. Drew Lock had some ok games but not lighting it up til he got hurt. Murray seems to be doing a little better. His completion % is up but his INT to TD ratio is also up.

This will be the real test for Herbert when they start doing that to him.....but i like what ive seen so far. Im just saying we are seeing the early results from Herbert which are good but DCs are going to find ways to try and slow him down with the more tape they have....and if they do, im sure it will be Lynns fault lol.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-09-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Seriously, has any other poster raised the question of why Herbert was not starting in week 1? I think my raising it for the first time in my post is pretty much the opposite of "beating a dead horse".

If you conclude that there was no meaningful change in Herbert's play from week 1 to week 2 (in practices), which I think is very reasonable, then why wasn't Herbert named the starting QB for week 1 in the first place?
          The only reason is a scared old school coach would rather start a QB who does not score many points but won't give game away easily with picks....... over a clearly better, super talented rookie who did not have a complete off-season or pre-season to adjust to the actual speed of NFL game and different defenses, etc..... in practice, Herbert is not getting hit or chased by people who care nothing for his health..... in fairness to Lynn, with no pre-season, most coaches likely would have done same thing.....

Marty did it even though Rivers looked far better in practice...... Rivers was mature and could have started during his rookie year like big Ben and manning did....

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Looks to me like we're on our way to a 13-3 season!veryourhead:
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The only reason is a scared old school coach would rather start a QB who does not score many points but won't give game away easily with picks....... over a clearly better, super talented rookie who did not have a complete off-season or pre-season to adjust to the actual speed of NFL game and different defenses, etc..... in practice, Herbert is not getting hit or chased by people who care nothing for his health..... in fairness to Lynn, with no pre-season, most coaches likely would have done same thing.....

Marty did it even though Rivers looked far better in practice...... Rivers was mature and could have started during his rookie year like big Ben and manning did....
              Seems your first sentenced is effectively countered by the rest of your first paragraph.
              Saved me from typing a blazing response.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Read what Lynn said when he thought he had a whole pre season to evaluate his roster and the QB battle.
                And you might realize that you are chase a ghost argument and then continuing to beat that horse.
                :deadhorse:
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• PR#1
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

No they are trolls for playing up a narrative that Lynn was so loyal to Tyrod he wanted Justin to fail.
                  Or so Loyal to his vision with Tyrod that he would stubbornly go back to Taylor and bench Justin.
                  Trolls for playing up his comment after KC game and ignoring/forgetting other comments Lynn has made about the QB position battle.

Let's take him at his word.
                  This is what was said by Lynn after the draft when he was hopeful they would have a full pre-season with 4 games to evaluate his roster. "We drafted him high to one day be our franchise quarterback, for sure," Lynn said about the 22-year-old Herbert. "But I don't want to put a timetable on this young man. ... Does he need a couple of years? Does he need one year? Maybe he doesn't need any at all. I don't know. They're going to go in and they're going to compete. The best guy is going to play."

Lynn is staying true to his principles.

After one game, a loss. Where Justin tossed a terrible interception vs KC. He said he was a back up for a reason.
                  He admitted, (his words) that he did not want to compliment anyone after that loss.
                  Then he got to see him play two more games. And play mostly lights out in his 3rd start on road vs heavy pressure by Bucs.
                  I'd imagine if Justin had 4 pre-season games and played lights out in pre-season game 3, Anthony would have kept his word and decided to name Herbert the starter to begin the season.
                  Fate did not give him the chance to evaluate the QB position battle like he wanted to and would typically be able to. So instead he made a very sensible decision to start the veteran QB.

The KC statement was so overblown because it ignored other statements Lynn has made this year, as well as his basic philosophy of letting them compete and playing the best guy.
                  In the Furture with Lynn thread. I responded to the trolls and said I believe Lynn really wants Justin to start winning games so he can easily say to Tyrod. I am not messing with chemistry, we are winning so Justin is going to keep playing. But they had not won. Yet Lynn still decided he had seen enough to make the change. Which exactly matches up with his after draft statements about the QB position battle and playing the best guy. Tyrod injury gave Justin an opportunity to audition like he would have had if a pre-season existed and he won the job.

In my estimation. Lynn is staying true to his word the entire time.
                  Wow !! Are you Lynn's mom or something?

I've never seen such fervent support for a horribly mediocre head coach.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Per Coach Lynn, Tyrod didn't take losing his job well.

And let's clarify some nomenclature here. He didn't "lose his job." He's still employed the Chargers earning the same salary he did when he was the starter. You can call it a demotion, but that usually comes with a pay cut and is the result of wrong-doing by the person being demoted.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

"The NFL Players Association has opened an investigation, and has a 60-day window to file a grievance on Taylor’s behalf. A league source said things are currently “on hold” with the process, as any potential grievance would hinge on whether Taylor would suffer material losses — in other words, a loss of money because of incentives tied to starts, wins, etc.

Grievances can be messy and drawn out, which certainly means there’s space for the Chargers to do the right thing and pay Taylor due to a mistake of their medical staffer. All of the guaranteed money in his two-year contract came last year.

Immediately after that Week 2 game, Lynn was adamant that Taylor wouldn’t lose his job. And once the news of exactly why he’d missed the game against the Chiefs leaked out, it was completely understandable.

Comment

• PR#1
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Part of Tyrods grievance could be he was the starting QB, and because of the medical malpractice lost his starting job through no fault of his own, which in turn means he lost future earnings or potential millions.

Looks like spanni may have to cut a big check to tyrod to make this go away.

Also looks like Lynn knew all along and participated in the cover up which is why he was adamant Tyrod would not lose his job to possibly negate any future lawsuit.

However Lynn may have been following the orders of Spanni.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Wow !! Are you Lynn's mom or something?

I've never seen such fervent support for a horribly mediocre head coach.
                          Ive been a Chargers fan for 40 years. And there have only been a few coaches I thought were actually leader teacher who could actually team build a culture of winning and over achieve with talent on roster. Boss Ross, Marty & now Lynn.

I have coached soccer teams.
                          And my approach is leader teacher and we won a lot of games. My philosophy is like Lynn's. You practice the right way, you teach and help them be confident about how to play the game. And the score takes care of itself.

Team building has absolutely nothing to do with Xs & Os. And my thoughts about sports or business or family is that confident connected teams win.

When confidence and connection is lacking, hesitation occurs, doubt occurs, and then eventually the blame games occurs as people start worrying about themself over the team.

IMO, Lynn has the skills to build a winner.

You see mediocre and maybe you are correct.
                          I dont see it. I see a true leader and teacher who has over achieved. The 9-7 12-4 seasons when the team moved and had no homefield and below average o-line......How the heck is that medicore achievement?

I suspect that if your Philosphy of team building aligned with a Chargers HC then you would be very supportive of that coach like I am.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X