• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    Eric Bieniemy is my first choice, but Dean had the choice of Andy Reid and Dean chose Mike McCoy. So, I'm going with a coaching staff designed to appeal to an audience of one: Dean Spanos

If we all know Dean, here's what we're gonna get: The safest, cheapest, least-controversial option with 'continuity' a main bone of contention. So let's help Dean make that.

Head Coach - Pep Hamilton Low cost, mild-controversial, very safe. Preserves continuity and protects the franchise QB.

Offensive Coordinator - Shane Steichen Low cost, mild-controversial, very safe. Proven production and it preserves continuity and protects the franchise QB.

Defensive Coordinator - Wade Phillips New addition This is a known quantity for Dean (Charger staff DC 2004-2006). That was the best defense the Chargers ever fielded. This is where I want to spend Dean's money as Wade was the highest paid DC in the NFL in 2018, & 2019. It will cost but the results on-the-field will be worth it, IMO.

Wade's last game as a DC was against Bill Belichick & Tom Brady in Super Bowl in 2019: held the Patriots to 13 points, & 3-for-13 on Third Down.
    only good as an interim measure.... me thinx,

maybe after the Jets game ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

very wary of McDaniels in that don't think he connects well w/players, hence better off w/a HC that does better @that ??

and liked Toub, but wonder why he (apparently) didn't impress team Tommy John last go 'round, or.... was he TT's choice, but young John overruled w/the hire of AL ??
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        very wary of McDaniels in that don't think he connects well w/players, hence better off w/a HC that does better @that ??

and liked Toub, but wonder why he (apparently) didn't impress team Tommy John last go 'round, or.... was he TT's choice, but young John overruled w/the hire of AL ??
        I'd love to know who was really sold on Lynn - was it a TT decision or a Spanii decision?

Comment

• Lyth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

I want someone who's intense, detailed, and demanding. Lynn seems like he's trying to be a father figure. Way too close to the players. A "player's coach" is the last thing we need. Not sure where to get a hard ass head coach anymore. That generation seems to be dying out. It's like millennials have infected the NFL too.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post
            I want someone who's intense, detailed, and demanding. Lynn seems like he's trying to be a father figure. Way too close to the players. A "player's coach" is the last thing we need. Not sure where to get a hard ass head coach anymore. That generation seems to be dying out. It's like millennials have infected the NFL too.
            man.... think I'm the polar opposite.... even liked the Mike Riley hire.

give me the NFL version of John Wooden,

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I have very mixed feelings on McDaniels. He was a disaster with the Broncos - way too cocky and immature when he was their coach. It looks like he was humbled by that and has matured.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I have very mixed feelings on McDaniels. He was a disaster with the Broncos - way too cocky and immature when he was their coach. It looks like he was humbled by that and has matured.
                I will take Josh over a newby - even Bieniemy. A humbled Josh might be a better Josh.

But again, if Telesco is making the decision - we all know his life will finally be complete when he hires

Cheer, Cheer for Old Notre Dame
                Wake Up The Echoes Calling Her Name

(but truth be told, if its between Kelly and another lame OC newby - I would take Kelly)

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Agree but that was a while ago and he had Tebow as his QB. Anotherthing he did was back out from being the Colts HC before Reich was hired. But i figure BB begged him to stay and Kraft gave him a big raise.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree but that was a while ago and he had Tebow as his QB. Anotherthing he did was back out from being the Colts HC before Reich was hired. But i figure BB begged him to stay and Kraft gave him a big raise.
                    I always figured that was some kind of a you can take over here for Belichick when he retires type of thing. But coming to a team with Herbert as your QB will make this job very enticing.

Comment

• Lyth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

man.... think I'm the polar opposite.... even liked the Mike Riley hire.

give me the NFL version of John Wooden,
                      I'll take a Payton, Reid, Rivera type. Holmgelren, Parcels, Shannahan, etc. Players need to have a little fear. Accountability is a foreign concept to the Chargers and it's what makes alot of good teams into great teams.

Belichek says it best. "We're evaluating every position, every week.".

I want a HC that everyone complains is too tough, then find the players who can handle it.

​​​​​​

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

only good as an interim measure.... me thinx,

maybe after the Jets game ??
                        BIG agreement here. The Jet game and the performance will be The Maginot Line for Dean & Family.

Bottomline: The Woody Johnson Family vs. The Dean Spanos Family. Real NFL fans are locked into a lose-lose situation, and one family is going end up with Eric Bieniemy, IMHO.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Falcons owner Blank explains firings of Dan Quinn, Thomas Dimitroff: 'It's called lack of winning'

Or as Deano calls it, “ That’s Charger’s Football.”
                          This..... lol

Quinn and Bradley are very similar and ran same system...... ATL instantly started playing better on offense and defense once they fired Quinn..... Chargers defense should get much better after we fire Bradley.....as long as the new guy does not stay with same system...

one huge problem with Spanos, is when he hires a HC, he hires cheap guys and forces them to accept all the existing coaches, OC, DC, etc......coaches salaries come out of profits, not the cap so he will not fire a coach while still paying his guaranteed salary..... none of our HC's have actually chosen the OC or DC or ST's.... etc.....
                          not Marty, not Turner, not Mccoy, not Lynn......though Lynn was allowed to get rid of Wiz(maybe his contract was up), but replacement was from within, not Lynn hire from outside...... might also be true of all previous coaches...

Other teams when they hire a new coach like 49ers did with Shanahan, and chiefs did with Reid, they got to choose their staff, that is part of why they coach so much better.....

Comment

Working...
                          X