Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I would love Peyton and Peyton would love Herbert, but because coach's salaries come out of Spanos profits, not the cap, Spanos would never pay Payton or Reid which is why those future HOF aggressive coaches will never coach the Chargers.....
    Fake news...if those guys would even want to come here, the Spanos would pay them...it sells tickets. Nobody big has been available to us when we were searching for a coach, with a competent and reasonable GM at the helm, in recent memory. Firing Marty, who was well respected, and retaining AJ might have put a stigma on us for awhile, but I don't believe that is the case now.
    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
      I think we need a Josh McDaniels type, someone who has been there and its looking for a second chance, i don want to experiment with newbies again, or old retreats, i want someone young with energy and experience
      Hes my guy because he’s made his mistakes and appears to have grown from them
      his infamous exit out of Indy tells me he’s got the balls to do what he thinks is in his best interest and withstand the criticism that follow
      I also have a theory about that. People criticize him for leaving the Colts job even after knowing about Lucks injury, but I think he got more intel, he got wind of Lucks early retirement contemplation and decided not to take that risk. I’ve read that Luck has been talking with people close to him for years about retiring early.
      McD did his homework and chose wisely.

he is a true under study to the GOAT in Belicheat and even Saban. I think they genuinely like McD because he’s a lot like them, a grinder who stops it nothing to gain an advantage.
      hes been around the best and is a true X and O guy who will absolutely maximize Herbert’s talents giving us the best chance of taking advantage of modern NFL rules and putting up potentially historic numbers.
      offense is the future of the NFL and he is cutting edge
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I would love Peyton and Peyton would love Herbert, but because coach's salaries come out of Spanos profits, not the cap, Spanos would never pay Payton or Reid which is why those future HOF aggressive coaches will never coach the Chargers.....
        Hmm that's an interesting take. Do you think the move to LA would allow Spanos to afford coveted coaches?

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Hmm that's an interesting take. Do you think the move to LA would allow Spanos to afford coveted coaches?
          afford, sure.
          have the balls to hire someone who isn't a "yes-man"?
          that is the true challenge imo
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

his infamous exit out of Indy tells me he’s got the balls to do what he thinks is in his best interest and withstand the criticism that follow
            I also have a theory about that. People criticize him for leaving the Colts job even after knowing about Lucks injury, but I think he got more intel, he got wind of Lucks early retirement contemplation and decided not to take that risk. I’ve read that Luck has been talking with people close to him for years about retiring early.

he is a true under study to the GOAT in Belicheat and even Saban. I think they genuinely like McD because he’s a lot like them, a grinder who stops it nothing to gain an advantage.
            hes been around the best and is a true X and O guy who will absolutely maximize Herbert’s talents giving us the best chance of taking advantage of modern NFL rules and putting up potentially historic numbers.
            While I think it is like watching paint dry in terms of enjoyment, I agree that McDaniels' short passing system was used very effectively by Brady over the years. My concern, however, is that McDaniels has not done a good job of maximizing the talent of his players when that talent does not fit his system very well. In Denver, the more talented Cutler was jettisoned in favor of the less talented Orton who was seen as a better system fit. This year, New England's offense has not suceeded. Now, a good chunk of that is on Newton to be sure, but I also question the matching of the system and play calling when compared to Newton's strengths.

To me, the system that McDaniels has used does not fit Herbert well at all. Would McDaniels adjust his system to fit Herbert's strengths the way Reid did for Mahomes? So far, I have not really seen that from McDaniels.

That aside, I agree that he is like Belichick in that he is a scrapper that cleverly fights for every advantage.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Shouldn't this be combined with the thread about Anthony Lynn?
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

It took some balls to get rid of Cutler in Denver. He took some flack, but in the end they are probably grateful.
                Things started off well for him; and then they collapsed...stepped on too many toes. Rumored to be not liked by
                Broncos players. Who knows.

Refreshingly familiar for Charger fans: new head coach starts off well and then collapses. Still, i'd be interested.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

While I think it is like watching paint dry in terms of enjoyment, I agree that McDaniels' short passing system was used very effectively by Brady over the years. My concern, however, is that McDaniels has not done a good job of maximizing the talent of his players when that talent does not fit his system very well. In Denver, the more talented Cutler was jettisoned in favor of the less talented Orton who was seen as a better system fit. This year, New England's offense has not suceeded. Now, a good chunk of that is on Newton to be sure, but I also question the matching of the system and play calling when compared to Newton's strengths.

To me, the system that McDaniels has used does not fit Herbert well at all. Would McDaniels adjust his system to fit Herbert's strengths the way Reid did for Mahomes? So far, I have not really seen that from McDaniels.

That aside, I agree that he is like Belichick in that he is a scrapper that cleverly fights for every advantage.
                  Valid. I’d have to take a closer look at how he’s been able to match scheme with talent to be fair.
                  it’s important to not be married to one guy and stay objective about the strengths and weaknesses each candidate would/could bring.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

It took some balls to get rid of Cutler in Denver. He took some flack, but in the end they are probably grateful.
                    Things started off well for him; and then they collapsed...stepped on too many toes. Rumored to be not liked by
                    Broncos players. Who knows.

Refreshingly familiar for Charger fans: new head coach starts off well and then collapses. Still, i'd be interested.
                    I can't speak to Cutler's relationships with teammates, coaches and ownership, but I am 100% sure that he was a better QB than Orton or Tebow.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I can't speak to Cutler's relationships with teammates, coaches and ownership, but I am 100% sure that he was a better QB than Orton or Tebow.
                      iirc didn’t JMcD have a big hand in drafting Tebow?
                      I think it’s fair to say McD may have over estimated his ability on that one haha
                      credit for forward/out of the box thinking, but a GM he is NOT
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

iirc didn’t JMcD have a big hand in drafting Tebow?
                        I think it’s fair to say McD may have over estimated his ability on that one haha
                        credit for forward/out of the box thinking, but a GM he is NOT
                        Exit JMD and Tebow. Enter PM+Kubiak+Wade = Trophy.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post

He didn't have to pay Marty market value, because he was still being paid by the Redskins. (for like 3 years)

I don't necessarily think he's cheap, either. But we sure do seem to go with the cheaper options for Head Coaches.
                          Redskins were paying Marty's offset costs, so the Chargers got a discount, but remember, Alex Spanos made the Marty head coach pick. Alex did. Then, GM AJ Smith picked Norv. Dean Spanos has selected every Charger subsequent head coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X