• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Week 8 last year who could have imagined the Chargers would open 2020 with a rookie QB who gets pressed into action Week 2 and immediately becomes the best looking rookie QB in years, and is throwing bombs to sub 4.4 WRs and a 6-8 TE, none of whom were on the roster at this time a year ago.

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

I was just looking at the remainder of the schedule to see if there are any cold weather games, and there is @Buffalo on 11/29 and @KC on 1/3. In Buff, it will probably be in the 30's or 40's, but could have snow and wind, and in KC, it could be in the 20's or 30's. Herbert has been playing great, and am interested to see how he handles the weather elements. I don't think it's rained in any games yet to see how Herbert handles a wet ball, but the U of Oregon fans probably could give some feedback on Herbert from his college days.

The O would be ok playing in good weather, but will need to be able to play tougher, cold weather football in the upcoming Herbert years if it has plans of advancing in the postseason, unless it gets homefield advantage. I don't get the feeling that the team has the mindset or makeup yet of traveling to Pittsburgh in Jan in a future season in 15 degree weather and winning a smashmouth game, when the injured players are back. I am a fan of the high-flying offenses, just like most. I realize the team has a lot of areas to improve too, and am looking for those improvements to include building a tougher mindset and playing good cold weather football.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Herbert played about a third of his games with the Ducks in wet/rainy weather, he can handle the wet ball quite well. Remember that many, if not most, of the players played their college ball in the mid-west - they have often played when it's cold. Snow and ice can be a problem but that problem effects both teams - I don't think the weather is an excuse.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Having big mitts helps
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Attack
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            Herbert played about a third of his games with the Ducks in wet/rainy weather, he can handle the wet ball quite well. Remember that many, if not most, of the players played their college ball in the mid-west - they have often played when it's cold. Snow and ice can be a problem but that problem effects both teams - I don't think the weather is an excuse.
            Good points. I'd say that teams playing home games in cold weather tend to play better in the weather elements than warm weather and dome teams, though, but maybe I'm stereotyping. Those cold weather teams have more exposure to and reps in the elements. Some players simply don't like or can't handle the cold, just like regular citizens, like me. I hate the cold, and don't do well in it. I just think back to the times the Chargers have played in cold weather playoff games in the past 40 yrs, and they have not played well or have been bothered by the weather, except for the Dennis Gibson game in Pitt on the run to the Super Bowl. I think Bobby Ross was a big factor in that game though, as his mindset/philosophy/approach influenced how the team played.

Comment

Working...
            X