• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
    Ran across this today...thought I'd share from Dan Patrick show!

Damn. Herbert had to evacuate because of the wildfires. Its crazy in CA this fire season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Damn. Herbert had to evacuate because of the wildfires. Its crazy in CA this fire season.
      Been getting more and more intense, destructive, and sizeable for 25+ years.
      Colorado and even up here in AK fire season is longer and more destructive.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

People here were just using Lynn's own comments on Herbert - "He is a backup for a reason" and "Taylor is our starting QB as soon as he is healthy".
        There were also quotes where Lynn praised Herbert. Just not as much as people wanted him to which I appreciate. It was good to keep Herbert humble and hungry.

Edit: not to mention those negative quotes lacked context.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

2020 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Odds Tracker

Updated October 27, 2020

Odds to Win 2020 NFL OROY

Justin Herbert QB LAC -175
          Joe Burrow QB CIN +220
          Justin Jefferson WR MIN +1200
          Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB KC +2000
          Tua Tagovailoa QB MIA +2000
          Chase Claypool WR PIT +2600
          James Robinson RB JAX +3800
          Jonathan Taylor RB IND +3800
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

PFF

PICK NO. 6: QB JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

2020 overall grade: 75.8

Justin Herbert’s play continues to amaze, at least on the high end. Some of the inconsistency we saw from his college tape showed up more against the Jaguars than it has in other games, but he still made four big-time throws, the second-most by a quarterback this week.

Herbert’s ability to play at his current level despite the protection in front of him has been remarkable — only Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones have been pressured on a greater percentage of dropbacks than Herbert’s 38.5% rate this season.

He is also the No. 1 ranked quarterback in terms of PFF passing grade on third down (90.4). The only issue is using those highly unstable numbers to project future performance. As impressive as Herbert has been, those data points will almost certainly regress, and then we will see a more accurate reflection of his NFL baseline.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Poppers provides his own thoughts about why Herbert is so good during the live Q&A session. The third point is the one that I think we should keep an eye out for, especially as more teams have film on him.
              I think there are a number of factors in Herbert's development so far this season:

1. He actually has talented weapons to throw to now. He did not have NFL-caliber receivers when he was at Oregon, despite having a really good offensive line. Having guys like Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry and even Jalen Guyton has allowed Herbert to play more aggressively as an NFL QB compared to college.

2. The Chargers have done a tremendous job of coaching him up and preparing him for any situation that might arise. You can primarily credit QBs coach Pep Hamilton and OC Shane Steichen. But the whole offensive staff really deserves praise, including offensive assistant Dan Shamash, who has regular sessions with Herbert running through various potential situation to prepare for anything that might happen in the game. Herbert isn't playing this well without great coaching. He has learned a ton in a short period of time.

3. This is related to the second point, but the Chargers are putting Herbert in a position to succeed. They have created an offensive scheme that fits his skillset, between the added play action, bootlegs, pocket movement and the consistent shot plays. They have also simplified his reads through his first five starts, calling a lot of plays where Herbert has half-field reads or other easy progressions. And so far, they are not asking him to do a lot at the line of scrimmage pre-snap, which has allowed him to play fast and free.

I think the draft community, in general, underestimated Herbert's decision-making and football IQ. The Chargers have done a good job of maximizing that through their offensive schematics and play-calling. They are allowing Herbert to use his immense physical skills in the most productive ways possible.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

PFF

PICK NO. 6: QB JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

2020 overall grade: 75.8

Justin Herbert’s play continues to amaze, at least on the high end. Some of the inconsistency we saw from his college tape showed up more against the Jaguars than it has in other games, but he still made four big-time throws, the second-most by a quarterback this week.

Herbert’s ability to play at his current level despite the protection in front of him has been remarkable — only Sam Darnold and Daniel Jones have been pressured on a greater percentage of dropbacks than Herbert’s 38.5% rate this season.

He is also the No. 1 ranked quarterback in terms of PFF passing grade on third down (90.4). The only issue is using those highly unstable numbers to project future performance. As impressive as Herbert has been, those data points will almost certainly regress, and then we will see a more accurate reflection of his NFL baseline.
                So the last paragraph they suspect some regression, but I really don't see it, I know teams have film on him and next year team will definitely have film on Herbert. This is what stands out to me the play under pressure behind this line and still #1 passing grade under pressure, what more can teams do to through him off or get him out of his game, all what is going on now how can he regress playing behind one of the worst line and not having your number 1 RB. Bagala and Turner will come back and help as well as Ekler, and I can't help but to think next year they will shore up the line even more, and to get Derwin back next year has to be good for a drive changing play per game. I don't see a drop off like Baker Mayfield after his rookie season he had a good offensive line, two pro bowl recievers in Beckham and Landry, and good RB's Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Herbert is getting the job done with bandaids so how is he not going to get better when we are healthy he is killing it in the midst of adversity now. Future is ooh so bright.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

It's been a long time, I've been this excited about a player on the Chargers. a LONG time.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Re: simplified reads, no pre snap adjustments, half field stuff. -- Ben Roethislburgler did the same thing with the Steelers. But he did it for about the first 4-5 years of his career. Took Ben a little (long?) while to be able to evolve mentally to the game. But he was still extremely succesful because of the strong team he was on.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Re: simplified reads, no pre snap adjustments, half field stuff. -- Ben Roethislburgler did the same thing with the Steelers. But he did it for about the first 4-5 years of his career. Took Ben a little (long?) while to be able to evolve mentally to the game. But he was still extremely succesful because of the strong team he was on.

TG
                      It took Ben until 2012 under Todd Haley and for the fruits to bear in 2013. But yeah, we don’t have the same strong team as the Steelers during that 2004 — 2008 run.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

I am blown away by how good Herbert has been, especially given the college offense he was in and the lack of a preseason for him. I am a little worried that the hype train is getting a little out of control after only 5 games played. Just look at the QB we face this week - he was 4-1 5 games into his career and the Broncos thought they had their QB of the future - and then the wheels fell off. Now Herbert has a way higher ceiling than Lock so I am not worried he'll flame out, but he could still face some struggles as teams adjust more to what we are doing.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Lets hope Herbert doesn’t get big headed. Work is the key to success in this league.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X