POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Ha! Telesco and Josh are friends!?
    oh this is happening....
    we’re going all in on a high powered offense
    A desperate JMcD will NOT fail on his last HC chance.
    Telesco gets one more chance

ya it’s early, but I now have a strong strong feeling it’s happening

all aboard the Baby Hoodie train
    choo choo!!
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Ha! Telesco and Josh are friends!?
      oh this is happening....
      we’re going all in on a high powered offense
      A desperate JMcD will NOT fail on his last HC chance.
      Telesco gets one more chance

ya it’s early, but I now have a strong strong feeling it’s happening

all aboard the Baby Hoodie train
      choo choo!!
      I really think he was promised the Pats job. But if not and he’s the guy root for the Tams on Thursday so they don’t go to the playoffs and the Chargers have the chance to hire someone else good when he leaves them at the altar

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I really think he was promised the Pats job. But if not and he’s the guy root for the Tams on Thursday so they don’t go to the playoffs and the Chargers have the chance to hire someone else good when he leaves them at the altar
        Hahaha
        am I the only one who sees that as a strength?
        my theory is that he did his homework, got clued in about Luck mulling over early retirement and opted out of a bad situation that would have likely been his last chance at a HC job
        he’s not an idiot, he knew that was a professional taboo, but did whats he thought was best for him
        He gave a giant F U to the Colts, his guys and his reputation, imo, all in the pursuit of winning.
        We need a guy willing to do whatever it takes to win
        Embrace the villain role, we moved from our home town, gave SD the finger, everyone hates us, LA doesn’t even acknowledge us, Dean is a wimp and the whole family are pathetic morons!!
        fine! Just win already!!

and I thought he was promised the NA job too but if so, why did he interview for the Browns job just last year?
        and the Packers job before that?
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Hahaha
          am I the only one who sees that as a strength?
          my theory is that he did his homework, got clued in about Luck mulling over early retirement and opted out of a bad situation that would have likely been his last chance at a HC job
          he’s not an idiot, he knew that was a professional taboo, but did whats he thought was best for him
          He gave a giant F U to the Colts, his guys and his reputation, imo, all in the pursuit of winning.
          We need a guy willing to do whatever it takes to win
          Embrace the villain role, we moved from our home town, gave SD the finger, everyone hates us, LA doesn’t even acknowledge us, Dean is a wimp and the whole family are pathetic morons!!
          fine! Just win already!!

and I thought he was promised the NA job too but if so, why did he interview for the Browns job just last year?
          and the Packers job before that?
          I would be okay with Hoodie Jr. My guess he has matured, understood what he did wrong (and right) in Denver and is better prepared now to be a HC than he was in 2010 or whenever that was. Yes, leave Indy like that was wrong - but he can discuss

Or maybe he will be the next coach of the patriots as Hoodie Sr is moving west. He has had a week to look at properties

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would be okay with Hoodie Jr. My guess he has matured, understood what he did wrong (and right) in Denver and is better prepared now to be a HC than he was in 2010 or whenever that was. Yes, leave Indy like that was wrong - but he can discuss

Or maybe he will be the next coach of the patriots as Hoodie Sr is moving west. He has had a week to look at properties
            McHoodie linked to the Bolts in this story:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

McHoodie linked to the Bolts in this story:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...ing-early-buzz
              Jim Caldwell also listed

Thats the guy, along with Kelly - at the top of my personal list. Josh would be okay - not my top choice.

I think Caldwell has been dealt two bad hands so to speak: first with Manning and the second with the Lions
              may not be flashy but the record is darn good

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Im not sure on Hoodie Jr and IMO some guys are just meant to be coordinators including guys like McCoy and Lynn.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

Im not sure on Hoodie Jr and IMO some guys are just meant to be coordinators including guys like McCoy and Lynn.
                  Josh would be okay but he is not as high on my list as others

The reason Kelly is at the top, even if a pipe dream, he won everywhere in college. And I know that doesn't mean it translates to the pro's but look at Bobby Ross - he coached at Maryland and Ga Tech before the Chargers. Finished up Army after Detroit - wow who knew

Brian Kelly -dude has worked his way up. He has a clue about being a Head Coach. You don't win games at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati by loading up on 4 and 5 star recruits. You have to be a good coach with a good staff (and I get the competition is different but still).

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Brian Kelly's comments from 3 weeks ago about taking an NFL job:

“I’ve always looked at the possibility, but I’m at a point now at Notre Dame where I can control the roster. I have a great understanding of what our process is here. They give me the opportunity to set this program up and make all the decisions as it relates to how this program runs on the day-to-day basis. You don’t get those opportunities in the NFL unless you’re Bill Belichick or Andy Reid.

“For me to give up all of that to go to NFL, as much as you want to be able to coach the best players in the world, this is such a great opportunity that you don’t want to give up.”

A 4-8 season in 2016 fueled hot seat talk around Kelly. But since then Notre Dame has gone 10-3, 12-1, 11-2 and now 8-0 so far this season. So he’s not going anywhere unless he wants to, and there’s no college job that would be a step up for him. So it’s the NFL, or stay put until he’s let go or retires from coaching.

Kelly sends players to the NFL from his program every year. But at least for now, he has no desire to follow them to the next level.
                    Not really convinced Spanos would give him that authority, but his record is pretty impressive given how hard it is to get into Notre Dame which eliminates an awful lot of potential recruits.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Brian Kelly's comments from 3 weeks ago about taking an NFL job:

Not really convinced Spanos would give him that authority, but his record is pretty impressive given how hard it is to get into Notre Dame which eliminates an awful lot of potential recruits.
                      To me, this is where the Telesco connection could work for the Chargers - make it like the Seattle thing where Pete Carroll is VP/HC. Schneider is GM. John D Spanii can call himself whatever but its Kelly and Telesco running the show

I don't know how realistic he is - maybe as realistic as Urban Meyer is -but aside from me joking about the ND connection and Telesco getting his dream fulfilled - when researching this guy - he is a good solid football coach. I think he would transition, if he chose too - well. I don't see Notre Dame beating AL and that might be as far as he goes as AL with Saban or Clemson with Dabo just might have better players. He number 1 on my list thats for sure.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Because the model of picking a first time HC has not worked for the Chargers. I get that the Spanii being involved doesn't help. But my hope would be Josh McD has matured since his days in Denver. Maybe Josh has evolved. Who knows - but picking Arthur Smith - oooh boy, he is the OC for the 22nd best passing offense in the NFL; ooh boy, Joe Brady --- two years as an OC - that doesn't do anything for me.
                        drafting QBs for the Chargers was a hit or miss proposition a time or coupla few as well.... LaFleur, Shanahan, McVay and Kingsbury have all had success.... what makes you think that Brady will be a fail ??

personally would love to see what he could do w/Joshua Kelly and KJ Hill, let alone what he could do w/Keenan and JH.

dude has made his players better wherever he went.... he works w/what he's got and tops out.

don't see Josh McD connecting w/players so much.... Brady got rave reviews for how he hung w/players much younger than him, and gotta believe his age will be a plus w/our (just) fortysomething year olds in our FO, aka team Tommy John.

he splits the difference in age between our younger/rookie players and our age old vets and FO staff.

Jerry West traded a popular and productive Vlade Divac for some young teenage basketballer named Kobe Bryant.... some GMs make good decisions.... age and experience are no guarantee.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

drafting QBs for the Chargers was a hit or miss proposition a time or coupla few as well.... LaFleur, Shanahan, McVay and Kingsbury have all had success.... what makes you think that Brady will be a fail ??

personally would love to see what he could do w/Joshua Kelly and KJ Hill, let alone what he could do w/Keenan and JH.

dude has made his players better wherever he went.... he works w/what he's got and tops out.

don't see Josh McD connecting w/players so much.... Brady got rave reviews for how he hung w/players much younger than him, and gotta believe his age will be a plus w/our (just) fortysomething year olds in our FO, aka team Tommy John.

he splits the difference in age between our younger/rookie players and our age old vets and FO staff.

Jerry West traded a popular and productive Vlade Divac for some young teenage basketballer named Kobe Bryant.... some GMs make good decisions.... age and experience are no guarantee.
                          This is not a positive for me
                          we don't need leadership that aligns with millennial culture
                          we need leadership that prioritizes hard work and respects hierarchies and those are not hallmarks of any generation post X
                          Rookies, you wanna friend to relate to? Find a vet, not a coach.
                          You want to have fun or you want to win championships?
                          the right guys will be attracted to a culture of work while the wrong ones will weed themselves out, eventually
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X