POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chargers can aim higher than a first time looking to be a HC. I am sure there are once-fired coaches who want a second chance - they do have egos.
    Pagano, McD, Bowles, Allen, Schwartz... I am sure there are others

I am an optimist when it comes to the Chargers - hope springs eternal. I mean, a guy like Del Rio might want the job - he was from LA, played at SC. Another crack at head ball coach.
    I think coaches are way more cautious the second time. No one gets three chances, especially the ones that got 2-4 years and couldn't make a difference.

It's like a second marriage. You have a much better idea of what will work and what won't, and you realize it earlier. If they're smart they figure it out during the interview process, or before it.

Over the years the Chargers have hired some great coaches. I hope they do again, but the last 3 have been poor.

Rivera was on the staff in 2009. We let the guy who ran the #1 D that year get away. Winner Not Turner.

Arians was interviewed and we had a chance for Reid in 2013. We would have had to make Reid an amazing deal to get him to choose us over the Chiefs. We didn't. Winner Mike McCoy.

McDermott was interviewed in 2017. We also interviewed Mike Smith who had HC experience and had a decent run in ATL. Winner Anthony Lynn.

Looking back is always easier than looking forward, but I don't expect Lynn, McCoy, or Turner to ever be a HC again. The right guys were out there. Unless the Spanos figure out what they're doing wong picking a HC, we'll get the same result with the next coach. This seems to be a horrible year to pick a coach based on the applicant pool. I'm not expecting to be optimistic come March.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Because the model of picking a first time HC has not worked for the Chargers. I get that the Spanii being involved doesn't help. But my hope would be Josh McD has matured since his days in Denver. Maybe Josh has evolved. Who knows - but picking Arthur Smith - oooh boy, he is the OC for the 22nd best passing offense in the NFL; ooh boy, Joe Brady --- two years as an OC - that doesn't do anything for me.
      1 year as an OC in Carolina, 1 year as a passing game coordinator who didn’t call plays at LSU.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I think coaches are way more cautious the second time. No one gets three chances, especially the ones that got 2-4 years and couldn't make a difference.

It's like a second marriage. You have a much better idea of what will work and what won't, and you realize it earlier. If they're smart they figure it out during the interview process, or before it.

Over the years the Chargers have hired some great coaches. I hope they do again, but the last 3 have been poor.

Rivera was on the staff in 2009. We let the guy who ran the #1 D that year get away. Winner Not Turner.

Arians was interviewed and we had a chance for Reid in 2013. We would have had to make Reid an amazing deal to get him to choose us over the Chiefs. We didn't. Winner Mike McCoy.

McDermott was interviewed in 2017. We also interviewed Mike Smith who had HC experience and had a decent run in ATL. Winner Anthony Lynn.

Looking back is always easier than looking forward, but I don't expect Lynn, McCoy, or Turner to ever be a HC again. The right guys were out there. Unless the Spanos figure out what they're doing wong picking a HC, we'll get the same result with the next coach. This seems to be a horrible year to pick a coach based on the applicant pool. I'm not expecting to be optimistic come March.
        2nd marriages fail at a higher rate than 1st marriages.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Lyth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

2nd marriages fail at a higher rate than 1st marriages.
          Overall yes. Skewed by a generation of people that weren't raised to find happiness. I loved my grandparents but they seemed to hate each other most of the time. Still together till the end though.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Because the model of picking a first time HC has not worked for the Chargers. I get that the Spanii being involved doesn't help. But my hope would be Josh McD has matured since his days in Denver. Maybe Josh has evolved. Who knows - but picking Arthur Smith - oooh boy, he is the OC for the 22nd best passing offense in the NFL; ooh boy, Joe Brady --- two years as an OC - that doesn't do anything for me.
            McDaniels had a chance to show his growth and maturity when he accepted the Colts job. And then we know what happened. Even his former agent called him out for that move after letting him go as a client. The Colts turned out to be better with first timer Frank Reich than McDaniels.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

McDaniels had a chance to show his growth and maturity when he accepted the Colts job. And then we know what happened. Even his former agent called him out for that move after letting him go as a client. The Colts turned out to be better with first timer Frank Reich than McDaniels.
              I get that McD bailed on the Colts. He is not my first choice (Kelly, Caldwell, Pagano and Toub are my top 4) - but if the choices are Daboll, ARthur, Brady, Bieniemy and Josh - I probably would want Josh McD

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

Some of this lacks context. Rivera was hired as a HC. There was no way we could block that from happening. With regards to Reid, KC hired him as HC before even looking for a GM. We could have gotten Arians, though his love of the deep ball would have gotten Rivers killed just as much as Norv’s love for it did. He still hasn’t done anything except for getting to a championship game (the same as Norv). Mike Smith retired. McDermott would be a decent choice but still hasn’t even won a playoff game yet.

I should also point out that Rivera and McDermott were both first timers themselves. Arians had half a season worth only.

Comment

• Lyth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

I get that McD bailed on the Colts. He is not my first choice (Kelly, Caldwell, Pagano and Toub are my top 4) - but if the choices are Daboll, ARthur, Brady, Bieniemy and Josh - I probably would want Josh McD
                  I like Pagano and Kelly. I like Caldwell as a person, but think he picks poor coordinators. I'm a "no" on Toub. I know that our ST is probably our weakest area, but this guy has been interviewing for HC jobs for years and keeps getting passed over. There's a reason for that.

I think I'd rather have Bienemy than McD. Josh is poisonous. Great football mind, but I don't think he can build a team. It's just not his personality. Players all love Bienemy. I think he's probably another Lynn (read: player's coach), but if we have to roll the dice on a HC with no experience I'd gamble on the chance he's been absorbing things from Reid.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Some of this lacks context. Rivera was hired as a HC. There was no way we could block that from happening. With regards to Reid, KC hired him as HC before even looking for a GM. We could have gotten Arians, though his love of the deep ball would have gotten Rivers killed just as much as Norv’s love for it did. He still hasn’t done anything except for getting to a championship game (the same as Norv). Mike Smith retired. McDermott would be a decent choice but still hasn’t even won a playoff game yet.

I should also point out that Rivera and McDermott were both first timers themselves. Arians had half a season worth only.
                    I think there are examples where first time head coaches do well. La Fleur in GB is doing well. But a different infrastructure there with Packer management. I understand the Chargers were never serious on Reid; I also get that Ron Wolf helped with the hiring of McCoy but I still don't understand Telesco working with Arians didn't see what he would have brought.

Now, if the Chargers want a first time head coach and the names are Daboll or Saleh - I think I would be okay with either. Especially Saleh as I think he would bring in a good coordinator currently with the 49ers. Brady, Arthur Moore, the Rams DC not interested.

Toub - still interested. It took Rivers 8 or 9 interviews to get a job - - Toub has the knowledge of the NFL.

Still today, Brian Kelly tops my list

Comment

• Lyth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

That's my point. They saw the best coach and got him. He was easily the best coach available. KC knew what they wanted.

My point was that on our last 3 coaching searches we had chances to get a coach that has gone on to do way better than the Chargers choice has. Whatever criteria they're using to select a coach, even the process, needs to change.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Los Angeles
                        • Send PM

Cant they start the interviewing process already? Just lock the door and dont let Lynn and T.T in the meeting.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                          Cant they start the interviewing process already? Just lock the door and dont let Lynn and T.T in the meeting.
                          In true Charger fashion, we'll wait to the end of the season, allow a "cooling off" period to remove emotion from the decision and then decide. If they actually have the balls to make the easy decision and fire Lynn, they'll have missed out on all the hot candidates that have already been hired by teams not owned by weenies.

Comment

Working...
                          X