POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

All that matters is whomever they hire have a successful track record as a HC. It can’t be a coordinator because the Chargers have never identified a coordinator who can take the next step. For whatever reason they get it wrong every time they hire a first time HC.
    Good point...remember, Belicheat coached the Browns several years to a 36-44 record, before he was canned, then hired by the Cheatriots...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point...remember, Belicheat coached the Browns several years before he was canned, then hired by the Cheatriots...
      This is why I am not as down on "supposed retreads" like Caldwell, Pagano, Jim Schwartz, Todd Bowles, Josh McDaniels or even Dennis Allen. Each, save Caldwell has only had one HC job - more than a couple years since they were fired to re-assess, figure out what happened, worked didn't work, and what they have learned from the current coaches they have worked for (granted Bowles is back with BA and Josh with Hoodie). Does that mean I am hiring Steve Wilks - probably not (though I think he got a bum deal in AZ) - but these other names, for me Pagano or Caldwell jump out the most - would be worthy of seeing if the second go around they understand the job better.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is why I am not as down on "supposed retreads" like Caldwell, Pagano, Jim Schwartz, Todd Bowles, Josh McDaniels or even Dennis Allen. Each, save Caldwell has only had one HC job - more than a couple years since they were fired to re-assess, figure out what happened, worked didn't work, and what they have learned from the current coaches they have worked for (granted Bowles is back with BA and Josh with Hoodie). Does that mean I am hiring Steve Wilks - probably not (though I think he got a bum deal in AZ) - but these other names, for me Pagano or Caldwell jump out the most - would be worthy of seeing if the second go around they understand the job better.
        Great points, Knob. Hopefully, we find a coach who has either learned from past mistakes, and/or was plagued by poor personnel, a less-than-average QB, injuries, poor drafting decisions or owner meddling...in other words, the next Belicheat without the cheating...

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          No matter who we hire as our next coach, does it really matter if they are offensive or defensive minded? Whatever their philosophy, they need to assemble a good coaching staff and work with the front office to get the players to execute the schemes they want to run.
          I think that was the thinking with Lynn, who I honestly never really heard of much prior to him being picked. High character, good leader, learned under successful coaches, would assemble a good staff.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Mike Mccoy was much worse than those two when it comes to conservativeness and not having a killer instinct.
            Yet, Mike McCoy had a better record.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
              https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vbG9ja2Vkb25jaG FyZ2Vycw/episode/YjM3ODliMzYtMzNiNC0xMWViLWE2YTgtODcwMGRjMTIwM2Yz?h l=en&ved=2ahUKEwjhrsiQ47DtAhWDr54KHdFRDUwQjrkEegQI BxAF&ep=6

Daniel Popper @ 36:00 Argues the question is: Which head coach will be poised to, in three years during Herbert's fifth-option season, make Justin Herbert, the best QB he can be? Who is the guy who can do that?

He said it absolutely had to be an offensive-minded coach and the three best are: Eric Bieinemy, Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Because Popper knows best? Lol
                Let me ask you..... Who is helping Herbert more in your view?
                Offensive minded Lynn or Pep?

Hypothetically asking,... If we Hire a defensive HC and retain Pep as the QB coach..... or even another offensive guy to be his QB coach, who will help Herbert more?

John Harbaugh’s QB was the MVP last season and was much improved from as a rookie.
                Harbaugh was a defensive backs and STs coach before he was a HC.
                Harbaugh’s QB coach James Urban is an ex WR in college who was also the Eagles QB coach and been a WRs coach. They also have Greg Roman as OC.

Brees and Rivers developed with frigging Marty because we had other coaches for them. Brian Shott was our QB coach when we had Brees and Rivers along with Cam.

Moral of the story....... ..Popper don't know shit.

Im not advocating a defensive HC, Just saying Herbert will still get coaching from the QB coach and OC.
                We need a HC that's best for the TEAM... Not just Herbert. He will be fine.

BTW, Pete Carroll is also a defensive HC. Maybe our guy should be Brian Shottenhiemer who is their OC and has coached Wilson, Brees and Rivers.

To your point,

2017 Chiefs - Andy Reid selected Brett Veach as GM, who started working full time in the NFL as an assistant to Eagles head coach Andy Reid in 2007. When Reid became the Chiefs’ head coach in 2013, Reid brought Veach to Kansas City with him. Brett Veach then succeeded John Dorsey as general manager in 2017. The Chiefs obviously won Super Bowl LIV under Veach’s watch, but his most impressive work may have occurred after that victory. Despite having less than $200 in salary cap space at one point, the Chiefs managed to extend stars Chris Jones, Travis Kelce and — most notably — Patrick Mahomes.

So, taking all this knowledge in, and assuming John Spanos has blown out both Lynn & Telesco, IF I am John Spanos, I am looking at three offensive minds at OC to become the next head coach of the Chargers. The discipline was completely changed with this dynamic, eliminates alot of head coaches and GMs, as the new discipline is getting Justin Herbert the best offensive mind for Herbert to grow with for his future.

Eric Bieniemy

Arthur Smith

Brian Daboll

Eric Bieniemy & Arthur Smith faced each other in the AFC Championship game last January.

Daboll's Bills offense will be in the playoffs in 2020 as well.

I expect the above three to be in the interview groupings.

Conclusion: Finally, Chiefs' Director of Football Operations, Mike Borgonzi would be named Chargers GM and Eric Bieniemy head coach.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Yet, Mike McCoy had a better record.
                  Not so fast. Coach Visor's record is pretty similar to Lackluster Lynn:

mcoy.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_M...football_coach)

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not so fast. Coach Visor's record is pretty similar to Lackluster Lynn:

mcoy.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_M...football_coach)
                    Anthony Lynn is going to lose his next five. Mike McCoy never went 3-13 was occasionally able to beat an AFC West opponent.

We are quarreling over the quality levels of expired milk and it's my fault. I made a very bad comparison.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Daniel Popper @ 36:00Argues the question is: Which head coach will be poised to, in three years during Herbert's fifth-option season, make Justin Herbert, the best QB he can be? Who is the guy who can do that?

He said it absolutely had to be an offensive-minded coach and the three best are: Eric Bieinemy, Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll.
                      are you purposely trying to mislead people into thinking that those are the three coaches Popper advocates, or could you maybe make it more clear that those are your three choices ??

hc.jpg
                      if only Brady had done time in South Bend, then it'd be a slam dunk/easy deciz for team Tommy John....
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Anthony Lynn is going to lose his next five. Mike McCoy never went 3-13 was occasionally able to beat an AFC West opponent.

We are quarreling over the quality levels of expired milk and it's my fault. I made a very bad comparison.
                        Yep...no use crying over spilled milk...IMHO, the Bolts haven't had a solid coach since Marty and Boss Ross...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

To your point,

2017 Chiefs - Andy Reid selected Brett Veach as GM, who started working full time in the NFL as an assistant to Eagles head coach Andy Reid in 2007. When Reid became the Chiefs’ head coach in 2013, Reid brought Veach to Kansas City with him. Brett Veach then succeeded John Dorsey as general manager in 2017. The Chiefs obviously won Super Bowl LIV under Veach’s watch, but his most impressive work may have occurred after that victory. Despite having less than $200 in salary cap space at one point, the Chiefs managed to extend stars Chris Jones, Travis Kelce and — most notably — Patrick Mahomes.

So, taking all this knowledge in, and assuming John Spanos has blown out both Lynn & Telesco, IF I am John Spanos, I am looking at three offensive minds at OC to become the next head coach of the Chargers. The discipline was completely changed with this dynamic, eliminates alot of head coaches and GMs, as the new discipline is getting Justin Herbert the best offensive mind for Herbert to grow with for his future.

Eric Bieniemy

Arthur Smith

Brian Daboll

Eric Bieniemy & Arthur Smith faced each other in the AFC Championship game last January.

Daboll's Bills offense will be in the playoffs in 2020 as well.

I expect the above three to be in the interview groupings.

Conclusion: Finally, Chiefs' Director of Football Operations, Mike Borgonzi would be named Chargers GM and Eric Bieniemy head coach.
                          We'll see. Wonder how KC will feel about that and how Dean will feel about giving KC two 3rd round comp picks to hire him.

Dean is lame so we'll see how it goes. Either way i do expect a cheap hire as opposed to the more expensive, exprienced right move for this franchise.

Comment

Working...
                          X