• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Teams have been rotating S help over the top against Floyd. Not all the time, but some of it. They mix the extra attention between Gates, Allen and Floyd. But he gets more attention then he might otherwise because of his chemistry with Rivers. And with his long stride, if you give him time, he can stretch a D.

But overall, we do need to start thinking of life after Floyd sooner, rather then later. It would be nice if we had another WR who was more explosive, and able to challenge a DB right off the line. Floyd takes so long to build his speed that he is not the best fit to our offense, despite the similarities to the routes we ran under Norv. I still think he is a decent fit, but perhaps we can do better. He really is at his best when we can let Rivers sit back in the pocket and go to Floyd as an alternate, downfield as a 3rd or 4th read.

Royal is another guy I am really sot sure about. He is having a great season and is a consummate pro who can come up big, but while he has good quickness, he is almost a better outside WR then inside. He usually has the smooth, routes that take time to get open unless we give him some help with a pick on the release. His shake and bake comes mostly after the catch, not before. He is another guy who has most of what you want, but is not that sudden. His best routes take time to develop.

Ideally, I think Floyd and Royal would fill 1 WR spot, splitting time together. But the fact that Royal is only a part time ST player, and Floyd doesn't play any ST at all makes it kinda tough to justify keeping both, especially if part of the problem with our O is getting Green more playing time. It seems like we either keep both and stick pat with the WR we have, or pursue a WR and let 1 go (probably Royal since he is the FA). Then we can move either Allen or a FA into the slot on 3rd downs, and have Floyd rotate on early downs/come off the bench for 3rd downs.

I like Inman in that he is a great route runner and catches just like you want guys to catch the ball. None of the rest of our guys can pluck the ball like he can. It's too bad he only has a short period of time. If he can prove he is a decent route runner and can keep consistently get open, especially on teh short routes, we may not need that much help at WR after all. But with teams having so little film on him, is he getting open because they don't know his tendancies or because he really is that good?

The big problems I have with going after Iupati is that he has played mostly in a power offense, and we do mostly zone blocking. He is a fine down blocker, and can pull and lead. But is he a good zone guy, especially on outside zone? Between not watching that many 49ers games and their not playing much zone at all, it is a bit of a risk to sign a guy like that. The other part of the risk is he is going to cost OT type money to sign. I can see him being the top paid OG in football. I don't have a problem with signing an OG to a big contract, but when the guy hasn't done what we have asked him to do (different scheme), then it becomes a lot more risky.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Troutman isn't much of a zone blocker either but he still started the whole season. I don't think it's strictly a zone blocking system so I think Iupati can fit

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Money is definitely going to be an issue but to me, it's worth it. The OL has to be upgraded. Can't do it with just rookies.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

It's not stuctly a zone blocking system, you are correct.

A better point is probably that just because Iupati is capable of being a power blocker doesn't mean he can't be a zone blocker. He has certain parallels in his career to Vasquez and Vasquez is a much better zone blocker then power blocker. Again, LT and Roger Craig both caught very few passes in college, everyone labeled them as being stone hands guy, when in fact both just played in offenses that didn't throw to their backs. I don't know if Iupati is a good zone runner or not, just saying that the not knowing and not having seen him do much, it adds to the risk. Never having seen a guy do it just means you don't know that they can, not that they are not capable of it.

But Troutman is a good example of a guy who is a power blocker and is struggling to play in a zone scheme. Not that he is anywhere near as good as Iupati, but in the 49ers system, I think Troutman would be a lot more comfortable. It might help cut down on his mistakes a lot, since he always seems to get getting his feet tangled.

I just get a little worried that guys like Iuapti, who are going to cost a ton, and teams start projecting what they can do. Then teams find out that they don't do the thing they were projected to do as well as was hoped, and the new team kinda exposes the new guy. Now the team is paying a ton of money and the expectation is that the guy would be all world and do everything. Then pretty soon everyone is tired of the mistakes (because they are misused) and this expensive guy is cut leaving a whole bunch of dead money. Not all FA busts are due to the players, the teams will often add to the problem.
          Last edited by Steve; 12-27-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

everybody went ballistic here when Clary was moved to guard while having a big "OT contract". Are we really going to be happy with another OG getting paid like that if he may not even fit our system?
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If he's a consistent upgrade over Troutman/Rinehardt, I'll be happy. Still curious if Robison and Shirley can repeat what they did last week...)

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                If he's a consistent upgrade over Troutman/Rinehardt, I'll be happy. Still curious if Robison and Shirley can repeat what they did last week...)
                Who?
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  Who?
                  He meant Laverne
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Josh Gordon on a 1 year prove it deal after he gets released. If he fucks up, cut him, and no real financial repercussions or cap hits. Reward to risk ratio would be HUGE IMO.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                      Josh Gordon on a 1 year prove it deal after he gets released. If he fucks up, cut him, and no real financial repercussions or cap hits. Reward to risk ratio would be HUGE IMO.
                      Gotta think the Browns trade him
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        Gotta think the Browns trade him
                        They have to try and get something , after they trade him they will probably lose Cameron to free agency, their last three first rounders are a big pile of suck..Manziel, Mingo and Gilbert..their big free agent move ( Tate ) bombed out..what a mess
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                          Who?
                          wat
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X