• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Detroit fired their special teams coach. I don't know much about him other than he really turned around the performance of the unit. In fact, it is the strongest part of the Lions this year. Supposedly he called a fake punt or something without telling the interim head coach he was doing it. So he got canned. I hope Chargers will give him a long look as ST coordinator. Young guy. Players liked him.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Rex as DC is interesting. Not sure how I feel about that, need to think on it. He would add media appeal, would be a HC in interim if Lynn doesnt get fired now and needs to get fired next season, and I have no doubt the defense would be aggressive and not play the stuff we all have grown to hate about Bradley.

TG

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        Detroit fired their special teams coach. I don't know much about him other than he really turned around the performance of the unit. In fact, it is the strongest part of the Lions this year. Supposedly he called a fake punt or something without telling the interim head coach he was doing it. So he got canned. I hope Chargers will give him a long look as ST coordinator. Young guy. Players liked him.

TG
        The Fake punt was so fake that even the head coach didn't know it was a fake. LOL!
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Rex as DC is interesting. Not sure how I feel about that, need to think on it. He would add media appeal, would be a HC in interim if Lynn doesnt get fired now and needs to get fired next season, and I have no doubt the defense would be aggressive and not play the stuff we all have grown to hate about Bradley.

TG
          Its just my theory that if Lynn gets another year - he might want to go out with his best chance and his guys on staff. Granted, he hired Bradley but Rex is a good friend. It would be more aggressive. I would prefer Rex over Milus. Not just another in house hire of the next guy. Need something different. And of course, this is if Lynn is back - which I expect him to be at this point as the Spanii will find some reason to bring him back. "they played hard to the end..."; "they won their final four games or 3 out of 4 or 2 out of 4" - ":he is so well liked, and respected in the building"

If the best you got is he is well-liked and respected in the building - that should mean he is going to be fired.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
            Bills OC Brian Daboll getting alot of attention now with what he did with Josh Allen.

Imagine Herbert under Daboll.
            Dont forget, Daboll coached Allen in 2018. And in 2019. So I hope he would not take 3 years to get Herbert where Herbert already is. Not too long ago, folks where wondering when/if Allen would realize his tremendous potential. Should Pep Hamilton be a head coach because of the record setting performance of Justin Herbert? How about Steichen? I do like Daboll's play calling this season though. Cannot argue with that.

Bienemy says he ascribes to the Lynn 'Let the players do the talking and let them lead the team' Does that not bother anybody? And I keep hearing about his offense, but I have to wonder after reading about him if it is his offense? Or is it Reid's? On the plus side, he has spent quite a bit of time with Andy, learning that offense and observing him calling plays. So he comes to the table with that.

TG

Comment

• Heatmiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Here is a balanced assessment of Brian Daboll from profootballnetwork. Good points about learning from really good offensive minds and defensive minds and although his first year with Buffalo was pretty poor (they were 30th overall in yards and points), they stuck with him and he has made dramatic improvements since then. His prior OC jobs all only last one or two years...two years with Browns, one year with Miami under Soprano, one year at KC under Crennel and he got canned each time when the whole staff got fired. He results there were pretty bad each time, but he also did not get very long to show what he can do. He also worked under Saban as Ghost wrote, but that again was just for a year and he was the co-offensive coordinator and QB coach. Co-coordinator is not super inspiring?

Daboll’s potential strengths as a head coaching candidate

Brian Daboll is just 45 years old. He’s been coaching in the NFL since his mid-twenties. Thus, he has a good mix of pre-existing experience and long-term potential as a head coach. Teams want hires to last for a long time. That’s the ideal outcome, and Daboll’s age helps with that.
              Success as a coordinator

The Bills’ cast of weapons has improved in Daboll’s stint as offensive coordinator. However, Daboll’s work has played a large role in making that cast successful. Daboll is an analytically-driven play-caller whose understanding of game scripts has served his team well. That analytic acceptance indicates an ability to learn and evolve continuously.
              Success as a developer

Some of the credit here goes to Ken Dorsey, who joined Buffalo as quarterbacks coach in 2019. But Daboll has undoubtedly had a powerful impact on Josh Allen’s career trajectory. One could argue that Allen wouldn’t be where he is now if he hadn’t been matched with Daboll.
              Experience with exceptional coaches

Daboll has a surprising amount of experience with championship-winning coaches. Thus, he might have the inside track of composing his coaching staff, especially on defense. Daboll spent over a decade total with Bill Belichick. He’s coached under stellar defensive mind Sean McDermott for three years. His year with Nick Saban might also prove beneficial.
              Brian Daboll’s potential weaknesses as a head coaching candidate

Unproven as a motivator

Brian Daboll is a personable coach, and Josh Allen has called Daboll “a competitor.” But there’s a difference between competing on a staff and being tasked with catalyzing energy in a locker room. Just as much as they need to be able to scheme and game plan, head coaches have to motivate and lead players through both success and adversity. We don’t know if Daboll can do that at the head coaching scale yet.
              First-time head coach

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Here is a balanced assessment of Brian Daboll from profootballnetwork. Good points about learning from really good offensive minds and defensive minds and although his first year with Buffalo was pretty poor (they were 30th overall in yards and points), they stuck with him and he has made dramatic improvements since then. His prior OC jobs all only last one or two years...two years with Browns, one year with Miami under Soprano, one year at KC under Crennel and he got canned each time when the whole staff got fired. He results there were pretty bad each time, but he also did not get very long to show what he can do. He also worked under Saban as Ghost wrote, but that again was just for a year and he was the co-offensive coordinator and QB coach. Co-coordinator is not super inspiring?

Daboll’s potential strengths as a head coaching candidate

Brian Daboll is just 45 years old. He’s been coaching in the NFL since his mid-twenties. Thus, he has a good mix of pre-existing experience and long-term potential as a head coach. Teams want hires to last for a long time. That’s the ideal outcome, and Daboll’s age helps with that.
                Success as a coordinator

The Bills’ cast of weapons has improved in Daboll’s stint as offensive coordinator. However, Daboll’s work has played a large role in making that cast successful. Daboll is an analytically-driven play-caller whose understanding of game scripts has served his team well. That analytic acceptance indicates an ability to learn and evolve continuously.
                Success as a developer

Some of the credit here goes to Ken Dorsey, who joined Buffalo as quarterbacks coach in 2019. But Daboll has undoubtedly had a powerful impact on Josh Allen’s career trajectory. One could argue that Allen wouldn’t be where he is now if he hadn’t been matched with Daboll.
                Experience with exceptional coaches

Daboll has a surprising amount of experience with championship-winning coaches. Thus, he might have the inside track of composing his coaching staff, especially on defense. Daboll spent over a decade total with Bill Belichick. He’s coached under stellar defensive mind Sean McDermott for three years. His year with Nick Saban might also prove beneficial.
                Brian Daboll’s potential weaknesses as a head coaching candidate

Unproven as a motivator

Brian Daboll is a personable coach, and Josh Allen has called Daboll “a competitor.” But there’s a difference between competing on a staff and being tasked with catalyzing energy in a locker room. Just as much as they need to be able to scheme and game plan, head coaches have to motivate and lead players through both success and adversity. We don’t know if Daboll can do that at the head coaching scale yet.
                First-time head coach
                My question with every candidate is how will they be as a HEAD Football Coach. Thats why I think more experienced first time candidate (meaning Daboll over guys like Arthur Smith or Joe Brady) or hiring somebody who has been a head coach is needed for the Chargers

Other teams might be able to take a first time HC, LaFleur, and with the organizational stability, can make it work. The data shows - and this is purely data driven - the Chargers have had more success with Head Coaches who had experience. Now, this is not all on Lynn or McCoy or Telesco - we know the Spanii are in the building.

But end of the day - you give me two candidates - I would feel much more comfortable with somebody who has done the job than somebody who hasn't. Daboll and Taub are really the two guys without HC experience on the resume are guys that interest me. The first time HC from the OC background has really not worked.

And who is to say a guy like Pagano, Dennis Allen, Josh McD, Todd Bowles might not be more successful the second time around. No way of knowing but I wouldn't preclude talking to one or two those of these guys too.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  If the Chargers win Sunday, Lynn will keep his job. Convince me I'm wrong. (He will have six, maybe 7 wins, and that is more than last year, and will close out the last quarter of the season with at least a .750 win rate.)
                  Article I posted yesterday said there was a 20% chance of Anthony Lynn returning next season.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Article I posted yesterday said there was a 20% chance of Anthony Lynn returning next season.
                    I hope you are right - I think the odds are higher just because of the ownership group. Objectively, there is nothing in these final four games - even if they win out - that should change how he is as a coach and how he will operate next year as HC.

They probably will keep Telesco when he has not won one division title in 8 years. Not one.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

I remain convinced that he is NOT coming back.

Too much negative press to bring him back. He's been called out all over social media, podcasts, and broadcasts over his decision making.

He won't be here.

If we are talking DC's... I've been liking the things I'm reading about Matt Eberflus from the Colts. He's 50. Worked his way up. Coaches a good unit.
                      (Was originally hired to be the DC for mini hoodie, but when he backed out, Eberflus stayed on with Frank Reich)
                      Coached in College, then moved to the NFL in 2009. Played for Saban for a year in college.

Now that would depend on who he would bring with him as an OC. And who knows what kind of staff he would bring...

But I like him. Google him, there's some good articles out there about him.

OC type: Arthur Smith (Titans)
                      DC type: Matt Eberflus (Colts)
                      College HC: Matt Campbell (Iowa State)
                      Special Teams type: Dave Toub

That's my four right now... but that has changed every week. Every week a new candidate pops up for me. LOL.

"...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Completely lazy loser ownership to keep this coach or gm after the way our team has performed the last two seasons.#CLEANHOUSE

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Dont forget, Daboll coached Allen in 2018. And in 2019. So I hope he would not take 3 years to get Herbert where Herbert already is. Not too long ago, folks where wondering when/if Allen would realize his tremendous potential. Should Pep Hamilton be a head coach because of the record setting performance of Justin Herbert? How about Steichen? I do like Daboll's play calling this season though. Cannot argue with that.

Bienemy says he ascribes to the Lynn 'Let the players do the talking and let them lead the team' Does that not bother anybody? And I keep hearing about his offense, but I have to wonder after reading about him if it is his offense? Or is it Reid's? On the plus side, he has spent quite a bit of time with Andy, learning that offense and observing him calling plays. So he comes to the table with that.

TG
                          To be fair to Daboll, Allen was an extremely raw prospect coming out with major accuracy issues. The fact that he was able to rebuild Allen completely by year three is a testament to Daboll.

Comment

Working...
                          X