• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree. I actually think he is coming back as I think they beat the Broncos and who knows with the Chiefs - they could be playing there practice squad players. Now, would Dean just see the W as an excuse to keep the "well respected leader who everybody loves in the building" or would he realize they beat the Chiefs practice squad and look deeper into the issues

I am still convinced it will take an embarrassing loss to the Broncos for him to lose his job. And it has to be a loss.
    Chiefs are still playing for the bye week and only 1 team will get that this year....though Pittsburgh has messed that up for themselves.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Chiefs are still playing for the bye week and only 1 team will get that this year....though Pittsburgh has messed that up for themselves.
      Chiefs win this week - they have the bye week locked up . Last game of the season would be a non factor for KC

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Chiefs win this week - they have the bye week locked up . Last game of the season would be a non factor for KC
        If so then we could possibly see Chad Henne. Geezus, i didnt know he was still in the league lol.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

If so then we could possibly see Chad Henne. Geezus, i didnt know he was still in the league lol.
          Thats why I think it would be a fools gold win and the Chargers next year would be where the Falcons were this year. If in the last month, Dean Spanos can answer this question with a yes:
          "Have you given thought to firing Anthony Lynn?"

To me, the decision has been made already - just need to fire him. Nothing in the Raider or Falcons game and especially a preseason game against KC, if they are resting players, should have any bearing.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Andy Reid generally has the backups ready to play on Sundays. The Chiefs 2nd stringers might even be up at the half.
            An ugly 4rth quarter win against the 3rd stringers, with Butker missing a gimme could save Lynn his job!
            .............................................:belo w:

Critty would then hail Lynn as the only Charger coach with a 500 record in Arrowhead.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Andy Reid generally has the backups ready to play on Sundays. The Chiefs 2nd stringers might even be up at the half.
              An ugly 4rth quarter win against the 3rd stringers, with Butker missing a gimme could save Lynn his job!

Critty would then hail Lynn as the only Charger coach with a 500 record in Arrowhead.
              I will root for the Chargers to win but to me - the only way Lynn truly loses his job is
              1) they lose to the Broncos this Sunday and have coaching gaffes, and bad special teams. But they have to lose - -winning will be fine
              2) lose to KC even against back ups

Comment

• Lyth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I wouldn't pin my hopes on Butker missing anything. Hopefully they have already decided to move on or the KC backups beat us. As much as I like beating KC, this would seem hollow and might keep Lynn around.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Would be a non factor but they’re hot and the last thing a hot team needs is 2 weeks off. Now if they had locked up a playoff spot and position and weren’t getting a bye I could see resting every starter in the last week. But 2 weeks of rest? That might just become rust

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

After seeing the Lions with Jim Caldwell and without - there is a reason he has been on my big board for about a month now. I get the Lions are just playing out the string today - probably still hungover from Christmas . But that team is not good. Quinn and Patricia did a bad job.

Kelly, Daboll, Caldwell are still on my big board.

I guess Lynn needs to be fired still but I am not giving up on Caldwell yet - also has a connection with Telesco and if Telesco is back -- I think he needs to have a connection with the coach. Daboll, Josh, Caldwell, Kelly - he has connections with.

Edit: Robert Saleh does a heckuva job in San Fran. Not sure if that translates to be a HC but if you are including Joe Brady, Arthur Smith - have to include Saleh
                    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 12-26-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Schefter breaking news
                      Fangio will be back in Denver next year.

Urban Meyer has talked to two teams about openings - hmmmmm....
                      Jacksonville does make sense -
                      i would give him the keys to the castle; VP/GM and HC

Sources -- NFL teams ask Urban Meyer about interest in return to coaching (espn.com)

From Ian Rapoport - Rap Sheet via Twitter: Another Name and personally, this is a nice staff he is building. Adding a Asst HC like Marvin Lewis is pretty smart - I would approve totally of this staff. The OC is also a good name. I can see him doing things he did with Lawrence with Herbert.

One name to consider when discussing head coach possibilities: #Ravens DC Wink Martindale. He’s considered to be one of the top candidates, and this season has only bolstered that. His staff targets include #Clemson OC Tony Elliott, and former HCs Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith.

My new top 5 with this staff from Wink:
                      Daboll
                      Caldwell
                      Kelly
                      Saleh
                      Martindale
                      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 12-27-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Schefter breaking news
                        Fangio will be back in Denver next year.

Urban Meyer has talked to two teams about openings - hmmmmm....
                        Jacksonville does make sense -
                        i would give him the keys to the castle; VP/GM and HC

Sources -- NFL teams ask Urban Meyer about interest in return to coaching (espn.com)

From Ian Rapoport - Rap Sheet via Twitter: Another Name and personally, this is a nice staff he is building. Adding a Asst HC like Marvin Lewis is pretty smart - I would approve totally of this staff. The OC is also a good name. I can see him doing things he did with Lawrence with Herbert.

One name to consider when discussing head coach possibilities: #Ravens DC Wink Martindale. He’s considered to be one of the top candidates, and this season has only bolstered that. His staff targets include #Clemson OC Tony Elliott, and former HCs Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith.

My new top 5 with this staff from Wink:
                        Daboll
                        Caldwell
                        Kelly
                        Saleh
                        Martindale
                        I wouldnt. PASS if that is what he wants. Drafting, negociating contracts is vastly different than recruiting and paying nobody.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Why Urban Meyer isn't a fit for the NFL

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-nfl-head-coach-plenty-of-reason-to-believe-it-wouldnt-be-a-good-fit-194157717.html With Urban Meyer's name back in the NFL reporting ether, would he want to trade the built-in advantages of college football powerhouses for the meat grinder of...

In 2009, after his Florida Gators had their 22-game winning streak (which included a national championship) snapped by Alabama, Urban Meyer announced his retirement ... only to unretire the next day.

That brief U-turn doesn’t count the two other times during his college coaching career that Meyer resigned due to health and stress issues.

Simply put, no one takes losing games – both the fear from it or the reality of it – worse than Meyer.

He hardly took winning games well, either. Even during one of his five unbeaten seasons as a college coach, he’d struggle with lost weight and sleepless nights. In 2016, his Ohio State Buckeyes beat Michigan in double overtime, only to have Meyer wound up sprawled out, facedown on the field, a picture of exhaustion rather than exhilaration.

The man is hard-wired. High-strung. Tortured.

He is also one hell of a coach, which is just one reason that ESPN reported Sunday that multiple NFL teams want to talk to the life-long college coach about his interest in open or soon-to-be open head coaching jobs.

So begs the question – would Meyer want to accept a job in a league where losses are common and victories by more than one score are rare? And would an NFL team believe that a guy who struggled to handle such things in the past will now excel in an Any-Given-Sunday meat grinder?

Urban Meyer's name recognition is big. His realistic potential as an NFL head coach might not be. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)More
                          Or put it this way: In seven years at Ohio State, Meyer lost nine games, playoffs including (83-9).

This season in New England, Bill Belichick could lose 10.

There is no level of coaching that can compensate for lesser talent or NFL parity.

With the exception of Alabama’s Nick Saban, Meyer is the second-most successful college football coach of this era. And if Meyer didn’t struggle with those mental and physical issues, the debate might be closer.

His resume includes three national titles and a 187-32 record (.854 winning percentage) while leading four schools (Ohio State, Florida, Utah, Bowling Green). So it isn’t a surprise that teams wonder if he might be willing to make the leap.

Urban in Jacksonville trying to rebuild the Jaguars with No. 1 pick Trevor Lawrence at quarterback? Urban trying to unlock a multi-talented star such as Deshaun Watson in Houston? Urban to Detroit where Chris Spielman, a former Buckeye legend, is now a power player in the front office?

The answer isn’t as clear as Meyer’s undeniable success and acumen coaching football suggests though.

This isn’t just a plug-and-play, with the main obstacle being whether Meyer can adapt to the pro way of life from his college comfort zone, a question that hovers over every coach that has spent his career in the NCAA. (This jump rarely works, of course.)

Meyer is only 56 but he has already walked away from juggernauts he built in Gainesville and Columbus. While fans often mock the concept, the issues are real.

If coaching college can compromise someone’s health, then what happens at the NFL when you can’t load up a third of the schedule with the Citadel or Ball State, and there is no limit to the number of five-star recruits (i.e. first-round draft picks) to reload a roster on the fly?

Many coaches who leave college for the NFL find solace in the competitive restraints of pro ball. Namely, the lack of recruiting – you don’t have to feel guilty if you aren’t texting high school prospects while, say, sitting in church or having an offseason family dinner. Life in the NFL is no 9-to-5 cush job, but in that regard it isn't as relentless as college.

It’s debatable whether Meyer, the ultimate control freak, would even like that. Perhaps his fear of losing is best dealt with through work designed to assure it doesn’t happen.

Then there is the question of whether Meyer’s personality and skill set would translate to players who are paid professionals, not “student-athletes” desperate to get to the next level.

When it comes to building a program that identifies competitors and maximizes their collective strengths, few have ever been better than Urban Meyer. Yet the pro dynamic is different. There is less control. Less power. More challenges. You have to manage losing streaks as well as winning games.

If NFL teams are kicking the tires here, then they believe Meyer is capable of overcoming that and change his approach to fit the reality of dealing with grown men full of individual interests. Finding a way to win has never been Urban’s problem. He’s done it at all levels with all kinds of talents and schemes.

The question is whether he’d want to try it in the NFL.

Let alone for how long.

Comment

Working...
                          X