• Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

Urban isn't going to be calling the plays, on either side.

He's the CEO. He'll hire good people. He'll hold people accountable.

This isn't like Kliff Kingsbury, and him getting a job because of his "scheme" or anything like that.

Urban will be a 'leader'. Maybe you're right, and he won't translate at the NFL. But I think he would.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2020
      • Send PM

Assistants may not be successful all the time, but the NFL right now is littered with assistants. Not a single coach in the playoffs right now was a college head coach. As far as Meyer as a CEO, that didn't work for Saban. The margins in the NFL are less, and Saban recognized it, which is why he left.

Lastly, you are hiring Meyer hoping he hires coordinators to make up for his deficiencies. Nothing about Meyer's programs at Utah, Florida, or Ohio State scream out that he constantly found great coordinators or that those coordinators were some significant coaching tree that shows he has marvelous influence. Day is the only one I can think of. Again, Saban was supposed to have this same aura and ability to have great coordinators and it turned out once he was in the NFL, the allure wasn't there. I think Meyer is smoke and mirrors, which is why he wants the biggest money he can get so that when he does fail, he has the money to fall back on.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Smoke and mirrors worked wonders... I’ll take my chances.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          Smoke and mirrors worked wonders... I’ll take my chances.
          Same! I will take my chances. The odds of Meyer succeeding have to no worse than any of the names the Chargers have interviewed. Joe Brady has been an OC one year, Staley a DC for one year, Arthur Smith for two years, Eberflus for three years - non of them on paper are more qualified to be an NFL Head Coach than Urban Meyer - I just don't see it.

(I am also not as down on Jason Garrett as others either).

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

These recent creative/aggressive young OC's seem to be doing well so far with the NFL's current rules.....

I still prefer Daboll..... he led a great offense without a running game........ with a very similar QB, talent-wise to Herbie(but Herbie is a better passer, allen a better runner)..... and a similar lack of great RB's..... and he makes in-game adjustments.....

in contrast, Smith of TEN seemed clueless when he did not have a 150-200 yard running game...... his offense is based on that huge running game....... with the defense stacking the box.....

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
              From Ian Rapoport - @RapSheet

As the spotlight shines on Urban Meyer and the #Jaguars, this is interesting: The #Chargers have continued to look into and explore Meyer as a candidate, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo. The two sides have spoken recently.

Honestly, I think Meyer’s agent is trying to get more money for his client with the Jags. It seems all the pieces are there for him including it being in Florida and getting Trevor Lawrence.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Honestly, I think Meyer’s agent is trying to get more money for his client with the Jags. It seems all the pieces are there for him including it being in Florida and getting Trevor Lawrence.
                That might very well could be. But it does seem Urban was interested in the Chargers since last week

If not Urban, just hire Daboll and call it good. I would be good with Daboll actually. But if the chance is there, I am okay talking to Meyer even if he is using the Chargers for a few more bills from Shad Khan

Comment

• jox g
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                  Meyer -- like a smart agent would do -- is using the Chargers as leverage to get what he wants from the Jaguars. I do not see Spanos giving Meyer the type of control he will want at the NFL level.

However, I am surprised the Chargers would even consider Meyer given the closest comparison -- Saban -- was only a mediocre NFL head coach with a 6-10 record and 9-7 record over -- and this is important -- just two seasons. Saban coached two years. That's it. Saban constantly looked lost and unable to really manage a game at the NFL level. Saban also showed no ability to develop a QB. How have Meyer's QBs done in the NFL? His development history has not been very impressive.

I also don't think the odds favor Meyer being successful, which doesn't even require getting into what I think are legitimate concerns about how I believe Meyer's coaching and approach won't translate to the NFL. Consider this: since 2000, what has been the success rate of college head coaches? For the Chargers, Mike Riley was awful. Chip Kelly, after a bit of early success, was awful. Saban, who some call one of the greatest college coaches ever, was mediocre and gave up. Greg Schiano was awful. Bobby Petrino was awful. Steve Spurrier failed. Carroll has been great, so he counts as one success story. But consider those numbers: 1 success out of 7 names provided. I just don't understand the interest in Meyer except that he is a "big" name and that he coached Bosa in college and some see that as dispositive.
                  My former Ninja Sensei once told us: "If you wanna be big, THINK BIG."

If you fail, fail at 100%, without second guessing yourself.

How many people don't even have the guts to try something? They remain where they are because they never tried.

We need to STOP judging Meyer. He's done more than you or me on the Field. He's won He's led.

People talk about Chip Kelly, Nick Saban. HE IS NOT CHIP OR NICK! (Besides, what coach in the NFL would have won with GUS FERROTE 2005 Mia QB or JOEY HARRINGTON 2006 Mia QB?)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

My former Ninja Sensei once told us: "If you wanna be big, THINK BIG."

If you fail, fail at 100%, without second guessing yourself.

How many people don't even have the guts to try something? They remain where they are because they never tried.

We need to STOP judging Meyer. He's done more than you or me on the Field. He's won He's led.

People talk about Chip Kelly, Nick Saban. HE IS NOT CHIP OR NICK! (Besides, what coach in the NFL would have won with GUS FERROTE 2005 Mia QB or JOEY HARRINGTON 2006 Mia QB?)
                    The Chargers even talking to Urban Meyer is a good sign to me. Not sayiing they are hiring him but at least they are seeing what the price tag is before saying No

Who knows - maybe its amenable situation. But Urban Meyer has been a very good head football coach. He has had good staffs - the NFL will not be too big for him.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Chargers even talking to Urban Meyer is a good sign to me. Not sayiing they are hiring him but at least they are seeing what the price tag is before saying No

Who knows - maybe its amenable situation. But Urban Meyer has been a very good head football coach. He has had good staffs - the NFL will not be too big for him.
                      By hiring Meyer Andy Reid would finally have Big poops in his trousers! LOL!

:Cheers1:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

By hiring Meyer Andy Reid would finally have Big poops in his trousers! LOL!

:Cheers1:
                        It would create some buzz. Could he be any worse than McCoy or Lynn or Gilbride.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                          Assistants may not be successful all the time, but the NFL right now is littered with assistants. Not a single coach in the playoffs right now was a college head coach. As far as Meyer as a CEO, that didn't work for Saban. The margins in the NFL are less, and Saban recognized it, which is why he left.

Lastly, you are hiring Meyer hoping he hires coordinators to make up for his deficiencies. Nothing about Meyer's programs at Utah, Florida, or Ohio State scream out that he constantly found great coordinators or that those coordinators were some significant coaching tree that shows he has marvelous influence. Day is the only one I can think of. Again, Saban was supposed to have this same aura and ability to have great coordinators and it turned out once he was in the NFL, the allure wasn't there. I think Meyer is smoke and mirrors, which is why he wants the biggest money he can get so that when he does fail, he has the money to fall back on.
                          I don't think Meyer is strapped for cash lol

Comment

Working...
                          X