• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

If it is Daboll, I certainly hope he 1) brings in STRONG coordinators( DC, OC, Teams), 2) gets a say in who he wants on his staff and his team, and most importantly 3) knows how to manage a damn football game( something our previous group shared not a clue!)
    A HC HAS to steer the entire ship, not just the offense.
    We've made that mistake for the past, what, 15 years? About time we had a leader out front who understands the full 60 minutes.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

So Herbert is a finished product, eh? LOL...that's exactly the kinda backwards thinking that could put a promising career in limbo...Herbert is at his floor right now, and it's amazing to see...imagine what he could do as he gets better...

Not saying the other guys like Staley or Eberflus wouldn't bring an offensive plan and staff that would be great for Herbert...but what makes you think they can do any better assembling a staff or developing a whole team better than Daboll? Daboll could just as easily bring a good defensive staff with him, as those guys could bring an offensive staff. FWIW, I like all three...who is your guy?

Or do you want Pederson, because he was a successful HC? Merit there, but where is he? Why haven't we heard dick about him? For all we know, he wants to sit back and regroup for a year after the firing...smart play...and Meyer is gone.

Get the feeling there are people on here who aren't going to be happy no matter who we hire...
      That is the absolute truth, lol.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Get the feeling there are people on here who aren't going to be happy no matter who we hire...
        Is water wet?

Personally, I won't care on the pick unless it's a complete mismatch. I'd prefer someone who has been successful as a HC, but usually those guys keep their job, until the ownership changes hands or gets bored (like Carolina with Rivera, or Philly with Reid), but I won't be mad with a hot coordinator either. Maybe the only candidate that does meet that mismatch is Garrett, he's not been that successful, other than being Jerry Jones 'boy'.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I'll be happy with Daboll, I like everything I've read about him. I think he has great potential. The only thing is, the head coach the Bolts just fired was also the Bills' OC when the Bolts hired him. Just seems odd.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I'll be happy with Daboll, I like everything I've read about him. I think he has great potential. The only thing is, the head coach the Bolts just fired was also the Bills' OC when the Bolts hired him. Just seems odd.
            With different offensive philosophies....and Daboll been doing it MUCH longer.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

With different offensive philosophies....and Daboll been doing it MUCH longer.
              No doubt about that, he is night and day different than Lynn. I feel a lot of optimism about the prospect of him being the Bolts HC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                If it is Daboll, I certainly hope he 1) brings in STRONG coordinators( DC, OC, Teams), 2) gets a say in who he wants on his staff and his team, and most importantly 3) knows how to manage a damn football game( something our previous group shared not a clue!)
                A HC HAS to steer the entire ship, not just the offense.
                We've made that mistake for the past, what, 15 years? About time we had a leader out front who understands the full 60 minutes.
                Daboll has coached for two of the best football coaches, if not the best two - of the last 20 years or so. He has a lot of years with Saban and Hoodie, Hopefully he inherits the good qualities without all the stuff I think got Josh McD and Patricia in trouble (meaning trying to be an a-hole when you don't have the respect).

Be the dude up in the press box rocking after you call a play that works, bring some joy - but like you said, understand about coaching the game and not just calling offensive plays.

Hire good coaches, too. Not your friends (George Stewart) or hopefullyt Spanii let him pick - but just damn good coaches. I don't need to have heard of them.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Feels like we’re falling for the “hot new OC” again. Idk I mean I wish whoever the chargers hire well but Dabol hasn’t exactly been lights out. His stretch of OC jobs from 2007-2012 was abysmal, just really bad. Then demoted to play in New England, the a quick dip into College football as a coordinator to joining the bills and riding Josh allen to some solid finishes.

He seems like a fine pick for OC, but can this guy HC after having more down than up years at OC and then being demoted and leaving the nfl? I hope so I’m just not betting the house on it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                    Feels like we’re falling for the “hot new OC” again. Idk I mean I wish whoever the chargers hire well but Dabol hasn’t exactly been lights out. His stretch of OC jobs from 2007-2012 was abysmal, just really bad. Then demoted to play in New England, the a quick dip into College football as a coordinator to joining the bills and riding Josh allen to some solid finishes.

He seems like a fine pick for OC, but can this guy HC after having more down than up years at OC and then being demoted and leaving the nfl? I hope so I’m just not betting the house on it.
                    I hear ya but the only guy we interviewed with experience was Garrett. Not awful imo but he was it. Im just hoping for the best. I guess id be OK with either him or Staley who has no HC experience but has shown to be a damn good DC anyways.

I dont know what Deans thinking is on HCs but teh first thing i notice is he goes with the cheaper options.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I hear ya but the only guy we interviewed with experience was Garrett. Not awful imo but he was it. Im just hoping for the best. I guess id be OK with either him or Staley who has no HC experience but has shown to be a damn good DC anyways.

I dont know what Deans thinking is on HCs but teh first thing i notice is he goes with the cheaper options.
                      I still wonder why the lack of interest in Harbaugh. Was it cost? Was it the fact that he might grate on people and only have a 4-5 year window. That dude can coach - has proved it.

I suggested Caldwell because of the experience as head coach. The once hired/once fired list of coaches: Pagano, Bowles, McDaniels, Schwartz, Dennis Allen -- hmm - two of them retired, Josh with the thing in Indy. There certainly wasn't an "Andy Reid" or "Marty S" out there waiting to be hired.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I still wonder why the lack of interest in Harbaugh. Was it cost? Was it the fact that he might grate on people and only have a 4-5 year window. That dude can coach - has proved it.

I suggested Caldwell because of the experience as head coach. The once hired/once fired list of coaches: Pagano, Bowles, McDaniels, Schwartz, Dennis Allen -- hmm - two of them retired, Josh with the thing in Indy. There certainly wasn't an "Andy Reid" or "Marty S" out there waiting to be hired.
                        I will clearly admit I’m a Schottenhiemer homer because I want Brian Schot, but I’ll admit it’s only based on him being around his dad and knowing how to coach. He has no head coaching experience but it feels like he would have a lifetime of experience by osmosis. On the bright side, dabol has coached for him before and maybe he could pull him in as OC.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Maybe it is because he wanted to stay at Michigan where he signed an extention for HALF the salary. Obviously he wasnt interested in coming back to the NFL whether we talked to him or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X