• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t buy it from Lombardi. The closest thing is TT saying he would recommend someone like Pep to stay. Right now the only guys listed as still on staff on the website are Campen and Alfredo.
    I don't either - like I have said, Lombardi has been kind of a toolbag lately when I see him

I don't think he is as connected as he used to be

Looking forward to more announcements today and this week

Bring on Weaver or Pleasant

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Just remember guys like Shefter, Kirwan and others all said the Chargers were hiring Daboll, it was a done deal, and Daboll already had his staff. And they were dead wrong. Chargers do one thing well...they keep secrets. I highly doubt Lombardi is speaking on facts vs his opinions of what might be happening. Besides, Staley's first hire is the very impressive TE coach from the Raiders so that sort of undermines Lombardi's intel.

TG
      Exactly! They were all wrong about Daboll to the Chargers. Lombardi lost credibility when the first hire was the Raiders TE coach as you said

I will be interested to see the rest of the Chargers staff

I graduated from the University of Arizona and our football program - well it has sucked lately. They just got a new coach and as an alum, I wanted somebody who was an alum to represent the program. Than it was reported Jedd Fisch was being interviewed. Than the next couple days he was hired and I wasn't happy. I thought the program needed an Arizona alum - to reach alumni, fans, etc. Hell I had heard the name Jedd Fisch as I think he was OC with the Jaguars at one point - but it was more wanting the right name. How I felt about Daboll compared to Staley.

WEll, they haven't played a game but Jedd Fisch has been really good the first few weeks. HIs coaching hires, he was on Cowherd and other showsm reaching out to the community, the alums and the high school coaches here in AZ (something his predecessors never did!). FYI, Fisch has worked a lot of places - for Harbaught at Michigan, for Pete Carroll, for Sean McVay and this year for Belichick - maybe should have hired him ! (kidding)

So maybe the same will happen with STaley - he will put together a great staff and go from there

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't either - like I have said, Lombardi has been kind of a toolbag lately when I see him

I don't think he is as connected as he used to be

Looking forward to more announcements today and this week

Bring on Weaver or Pleasant
        I have the Athletic and you’re right. He’s nowhere near as connected as he thinks he is. He mostly talks about general things which is fine for what it is.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

I don’t buy it from Lombardi. The closest thing is TT saying he would recommend someone like Pep to stay. Right now the only guys listed as still on staff on the website are Campen and Alfredo.
          Something like 5 OC's in the past 4-5 years for Herbert is something we want to avoid. The good thing is Herbert flourishes in an offense that can keep up with him. Stanley being a former QB probably provided an excellent plan to resolve this. A full off season and training camp should help. That said, Stanley kept the Rams assistant staff in place when he became a DC. He's not a "clean house" type of coach thus far. Pretty sure that works with Spanos. Should Steichen stay he'd have the green light to implement more creative plays. Then we'd see if those 2020 2nd halves were on him or Lynn.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Something like 5 OC's in the past 4-5 years for Herbert is something we want to avoid. The good thing is Herbert flourishes in an offense that can keep up with him. Stanley being a former QB probably provided an excellent plan to resolve this. A full off season and training camp should help. That said, Stanley kept the Rams assistant staff in place when he became a DC. He's not a "clean house" type of coach thus far. Pretty sure that works with Spanos. Should Steichen stay he'd have the green light to implement more creative plays. Then we'd see if those 2020 2nd halves were on him or Lynn.
            The only continuity we should have offensively is keeping the Shanahan scheme that we implemented last year. If Steichen stays, I hope it’s Staley’s choice. Though it seems that based on his first hire, there may not be a traditional OC. Frank Smith will apparently be run game coordinator. It’s what Mike McDaniel was with the Niners.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If Staley can get Aubrey Pleasant as the DC...that would be a great thing to look forward to for the defense.
              its going to be so fun aubrey plaza GIF by Ingrid Goes WestLOL
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Just to be clear, I have no problem if Staley lets Pep stay as QB coach. It’s useful but nowhere near as big of a role as the traditional OC or DC.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Los Angeles
                  • Send PM

Still waiting to see who our D.C will be, of course probably someone familiar with his system. Funny reading Raider fans comments, they don't even know if the TE coach we took from them is any good or not lol.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly! They were all wrong about Daboll to the Chargers. Lombardi lost credibility when the first hire was the Raiders TE coach as you said

I will be interested to see the rest of the Chargers staff

I graduated from the University of Arizona and our football program - well it has sucked lately. They just got a new coach and as an alum, I wanted somebody who was an alum to represent the program. Than it was reported Jedd Fisch was being interviewed. Than the next couple days he was hired and I wasn't happy. I thought the program needed an Arizona alum - to reach alumni, fans, etc. Hell I had heard the name Jedd Fisch as I think he was OC with the Jaguars at one point - but it was more wanting the right name. How I felt about Daboll compared to Staley.

WEll, they haven't played a game but Jedd Fisch has been really good the first few weeks. HIs coaching hires, he was on Cowherd and other showsm reaching out to the community, the alums and the high school coaches here in AZ (something his predecessors never did!). FYI, Fisch has worked a lot of places - for Harbaught at Michigan, for Pete Carroll, for Sean McVay and this year for Belichick - maybe should have hired him ! (kidding)

So maybe the same will happen with STaley - he will put together a great staff and go from there
                    Odd reason to want a HC lol.

Herm Edward's must be the HC at AZ St? I always get them mixed up, but Herm went to Cal. I thought he was a great hire for them.

He had them doing pretty well til last season but last season for many colleges was weird for many teams. I think AZ st only played like four games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Odd reason to want a HC lol.

Herm Edward's must be the HC at AZ St? I always get them mixed up, but Herm went to Cal. I thought he was a great hire for them.

He had them doing pretty well til last season but last season for many colleges was weird for many teams. I think AZ st only played like four games.
                      Well to be clear - there were qualified candidates that had ties to the U of A program. These weren't just some random schmucks. The program has sucked so much I felt, and many other alum, felt that getting a qualified coach WITH ties to the program from the past would possibly bring about a positive culture change. Nobody goes to the games, fans aren't interested - so it was part marketing hire, part coaching.

Yes, Herm is at ASU - doing a good job.

Anyway, seeing what Staley brings - hoping DC is announced today

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

The only continuity we should have offensively is keeping the Shanahan scheme that we implemented last year. If Steichen stays, I hope it’s Staley’s choice. Though it seems that based on his first hire, there may not be a traditional OC. Frank Smith will apparently be run game coordinator. It’s what Mike McDaniel was with the Niners.
                        I predict Stanley focuses on redirecting the defense and special teams to his liking. Herbert had a record breaking rookie season so Stanley commissions an open think-tank environment with existing + new offensive coaches/assistants. Frank Smith worked with Stanley before. Final offensive approach gets his approval to move forward.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

If you think about it, they have no first this year, didn't have one last year, are in cap hell and traded away picks for players that aren't even there this season.

Their GM should be fired.

That's horrible use of your draft capital to build your team and not only are a few gone from last year after trading picks to get them, they will have to purge some other players from huge contracts to get below the cap.

They are stuck with Goff for at least two more seasons so McVay better learn to get along with him.

Rams probably won't be very good next season and Goff will get the blame but it's the GM that has handcuffed the team with a win now mentality and have few picks now to show for it.
                          I'll bet Staley is elated to be leaving the sinking Rams ship...

Comment

Working...
                          X