• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SYB
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
    When was the last time the Chargers were the most dominant team in the NFL who was there head coach? Marty Schottenhiemer that's who. A defensive minded HC but every coach hired since then have been offensive minded and where has that gotten us? Nowhere, There's one thing that you can never change in the NFL and that is Offense wins games but defense wins championships. I do hope he retains Pep Hamilton and maybe promotes him to Offensive coordinator.I think people were to enamored of us getting an Offensive minded HC because of Herbert but if Coach Staley can hire the right kind of people especially offensive coordinators then that's all that counts right. A good headcoach will always surround himself with smart people. The guy comes from a good family tree of HC. I am kind of intrigued to what he had to say what he has in plan for Herbert. The question is will he switch us back to a 3-4.
    It was actually Norval, not Schotty. :shrug:

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
      Still waiting to see who our D.C will be, of course probably someone familiar with his system. Funny reading Raider fans comments, they don't even know if the TE coach we took from them is any good or not lol.
      Typical... RaiDuhs fans are far and away the most ignorant I've ever tried talking football with.

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You’re missing the point. Derwin isn’t going to run with the #1 receiver like Ramsey is. But he’s a flexible player that can be used in different ways like Staley did with Ramsey. In fact, we all saw that happen in 2018.
        I'm not missing any point. You said Derwin could play the Ramsey role, which entailed him trailing the opposing teams best WR most of the time. While I fully expect Staley to move Derwin around and use him in multiple ways, as he did with Ramsey, their role won't be the same because they have different types skill sets.

Derwin could play the Ramsey role for all we know.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

It was actually Norval, not Schotty. :shrug:
          Yup, people give Norv too much hate on this board.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

I don’t know if there will be a complete change. From everything I’ve read, Staley isn’t scheme specific. We may keep a lot of the same personnel on defense and just run what is best for our prime players like Bosa and Derwin.
            From what little I've read so far, he's run Fangio's system pretty much his entire coaching career.

"I'd studied Vic since I first became a coordinator at Hutchinson Junior College, when he was at Stanford," Staley told Mays. "I felt like I'd been coaching for Vic since 2010. I joke with people about that, but I'm actually quite serious, because that's how far back I went studying his stuff. And then I was able to be with him on an intimate level for three years, and then I could kind of pick up more context and learn all the ways that he had been shaping that defense."

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...the Gus and Chuckie Show...Committment to Recklessness...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-coordinator/
              Such a shit show.

Comment

• Lyth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Just to be clear, I have no problem if Staley lets Pep stay as QB coach. It’s useful but nowhere near as big of a role as the traditional OC or DC.
                If Pep is the right guy for what Staley wants then I'm good with it. I don't care which direction we go with OC, as long as someone isn't forced on him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

I think I'm on record somewhere for wanting any coach who would keep Hamilton and Campen. Using the current system will be great for a young QB. If our offensive line goes from abysmal to mediocre, we're going to win a lot more games next year.
                  It really is hard to assess either a system or an OC when he’s given an OL that cannot generate 1 yard of rush block surge and cannot pass pro for 1.9 seconds. Both of those were largely true for LAC last year.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

From what little I've read so far, he's run Fangio's system pretty much his entire coaching career.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/m...s-path-to-beco
                    There’s similarities between the two especially the two high look. And you can see Fangio’s influence. But I wouldn’t necessarily say he was running Fangio’s scheme. The Rams for example didn’t really use a 3-4 front that often.
                    Here’s the article breakdown that I provided in this thread. It’s a good read and makes me feel that while he adored Fangio, Staley will implement what is best for this team.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well to be clear - there were qualified candidates that had ties to the U of A program. These weren't just some random schmucks. The program has sucked so much I felt, and many other alum, felt that getting a qualified coach WITH ties to the program from the past would possibly bring about a positive culture change. Nobody goes to the games, fans aren't interested - so it was part marketing hire, part coaching.

Yes, Herm is at ASU - doing a good job.

Anyway, seeing what Staley brings - hoping DC is announced today
                      I didn’t get the needs to be UA alum either. Sounds like an extraordinary and unnecessary limitation. Jmo, glad to hear you like what you see so far in their hire because yeah, they have not been the UoA of old for quite awhile.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didn’t get the needs to be UA alum either. Sounds like an extraordinary and unnecessary limitation. Jmo, glad to hear you like what you see so far in their hire because yeah, they have not been the UoA of old for quite awhile.
                        Hopefully Staley brings the same to the job as Fisch. Fisch has been paying attention at all his jobs and he had his staff picked and nailed many of the names.

Hopefully Staley has the same thoughts in mind for the staff and brings in a high level staff. Its starts on the practice field with the teaching and than on Sunday, all the coaching and preparation, how the players execute. And how does Staley and staff adapt to the game.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Typical... RaiDuhs fans are far and away the most ignorant I've ever tried talking football with.
                          My comeback now to most Raider fans at my work when they inevitably go back to the "Duh,,,,,,,how many super bowls have the Chargers won?" Is to ask them "How many super bowls have you personally seen the Raiders win? As a fan they don't count unless you see them." Most Raider fans I run into are younger and were not alive or just babies the last SB the Raiders won.

Comment

Working...
                          X