• Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Maybe way back when the league started, but not now. Starting QBs rarely become full time coaches.
    Yeah, I would guess dudes these days make WAY too much money to think about grinding away as a HC in the NFL.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      technically we haven't requested to interview or scheduled interviews with Meyer or Harbaugh
      Harbaugh hasnt even been mentioned as a request so i dont think it is going to happen.

Comment

• Lyth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Harbaugh hasnt even been mentioned as a request so i dont think it is going to happen.
        We don't need to make a formal request to talk to him. It's just a call to his agent. Unless someone leaks it, I doubt they'll make it public.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

We don't need to make a formal request to talk to him. It's just a call to his agent. Unless someone leaks it, I doubt they'll make it public.
          Michigan might want to know. Do we not have to ask college teams? IDK?

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Michigan might want to know. Do we not have to ask college teams? IDK?
            I don’t think so. Most college coaches, especially ones who have coached in the NFL, have outs to return as a HC in the NFL

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Harbaugh
              Meyer
              Saleh
              Daboll/Smith. I knew nothing about either of these guys but have learned to like them both. Smith should have his dad buy the team which would be an added bonus

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

For Daboll (and all the other coordinators who have never been a HC before), unless he is planning on being the OC as well as the HC, where he was most comfortable calling plays is not relevant as our HC. Also, what offense he ran in Buffalo may or may not be what he runs in LA with a new offensive coordinator. He needs to be a leader, build a good staff and know how to manage a game.

I would take Meyer first, but of the guys listed above my order would be:

Smith (the more I read about him the more I like him)
                Daboll
                Saleh
                Bieniemy
                Of course, Daboll would call the plays. Is there anyone that thinks he would not do that? And, of course, he is going to run a lot of what Buffalo ran, though it might even be more explosive with us having better receiving options at both RB and TE than Buffalo has. That is the whole point--what he is running in Buffalo would work really well with our team. I think most people can see that, so I do not get why you would consider that he would do something drastically different with us.

Daboll was passing in the back half of the 4th quarter with a 38-9 lead against the Patsies. I did not get the sense of an Anthony Lynn turtling type coach. I like his game management.

His background includes 5 Super Bowl champion teams under Belichick and a CFP national champion team under Saban. Not too shabby.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Of course, Daboll would call the plays. Is there anyone that thinks he would not do that? And, of course, he is going to run a lot of what Buffalo ran, though it might even be more explosive with us having better receiving options at both RB and TE than Buffalo has. That is the whole point--what he is running in Buffalo would work really well with our team. I think most people can see that, so I do not get why you would consider that he would do something drastically different with us.

Daboll was passing in the back half of the 4th quarter with a 38-9 lead against the Patsies. I did not get the sense of an Anthony Lynn turtling type coach. I like his game management.

His background includes 5 Super Bowl champion teams under Belichick and a CFP national champion team under Saban. Not too shabby.
                  Til he says he will, I wouldn't assume that. Maybe he has another coach he has in mind for OC that he has worked with before.

For me I hope he will but it isn't a given til he is asked and says he will.

Comment

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                    One thing to remember about almost every good/great coach, is they usually control one side of the ball....either calling the plays on offense or defense.....

1. Brian Daboll, Bills OC - Best match with Herbert..... is not obsessed with running the ball..... great play designer/caller..... ex tough OL who does not accept stupid mistakes, so players will work hard and respect him....

2. Joe Brady, Panthers OC - Least experience but maybe biggest upside

2. Arthur Smith, Titans OC - Not sure how he will do without a great running game, but at least he is an aggressive offensive mind....

3. Robert Saleh, Niners DC - Aggressive DC so hopefully he will want aggressive Offense but its a rare thing for DC's to want an aggressive "risky" offense.....

4. Brandon Staley, Rams DC - Dont know much about him but he is a top DC.....

5. Matt Eberflus, Colts DC - Dont know much about him but he is a top DC.....

6. Jason Garrett - another Turner

6. Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs OC - might be a firely leader but he is career RB/RB coach and Reid designs and calls all the plays...... not Bienemy......
                    I think the above list is pretty close to how I see it.

I would list as follows:

1. :youaretheman: Brian Daboll :youaretheman:

Then, :wtfc:, but in this order:

2. Arthur Smith
                    3. Joe Brady
                    4. Brandon Staley
                    5. Robert Saleh
                    6. Matt Eberflus
                    7. Jason Garrett

And finally, :facepalm1:

isser:8. Eric Bieniemy

(Please note the appropriate use of Chiefs Red and Gold.)

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

If anyone seriously thinks the Chargers will hire Jim Harbaugh, they must not know about the Spanos family very much. They won't relinquish the power and let Harbaugh run the football team the way he thinks is best and they certainly can't afford to pay a top tier HC like Jim Harbaugh.

Come on guys, get real. Maybe if Elon Musk buys the Chargers or something then sure they have a chance. We'll have to start a forum wide gofundme for the Spanos family to even be able to afford Harbaugh and then there's the other part of selling Harbaugh on wanting to work for an owner like Dean Spanos.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                        If anyone seriously thinks the Chargers will hire Jim Harbaugh, they must not know about the Spanos family very much. They won't relinquish the power and let Harbaugh run the football team the way he thinks is best and they certainly can't afford to pay a top tier HC like Jim Harbaugh.

Come on guys, get real. Maybe if Elon Musk buys the Chargers or something then sure they have a chance. We'll have to start a forum wide gofundme for the Spanos family to even be able to afford Harbaugh and then there's the other part of selling Harbaugh on wanting to work for an owner like Dean Spanos.
                        What is the max they pay our next HC?
                        I’ll likely take the over.
                        this is LA legacy time
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• UglyTruth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

What is the max they pay our next HC?
                          I’ll likely take the over.
                          this is LA legacy time
                          $6 million/yr imo and even that's stretching it.

Here's how much the top paid coaches were making this season

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Working...
                          X