• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

That would be tampering and lead to us losing draft picks to the Rams.
    Asst HC/ OC ?

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Stan Kroenke denies Dean.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
        He had a good HC record at John Carroll. Terrible at Akron.
        Set 18 school records as John Carroll's starting QB.
        Conference Champs at John Carroll, D3 Coach of the year as HC.
        Not so great in 2yr stops as HC in Chattanoga, Akron. Without knowing anything about the other school's personnel ; program, tough guess.

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Stan Kroenke denies Dean.
          So just HIRE HIM then w/o an interview if you think he's better than Steichen/Pep. I mean, Coach Staley knows him from the past 3 yrs working together by now right?
          Or does "blocking interview" also mean "cannot hire?"

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

So just HIRE HIM then w/o an interview if you think he's better than Steichen/Pep. I mean, Coach Staley knows him from the past 3 yrs working together by now right?
            Cannot be hired either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Or does "blocking interview" also mean "cannot hire?"
              The Rams would need to release him from under contract. If he was classified as QB Coach - the Rams cannot block him. This would be a lateral move.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I just looked at coaches on the Broncos staff - now I know he has family in Denver but Staley worked with Mike Munchak - damn good OLine coach - not sure if he has ever been an OC> But a good coach.

FYI - looking at the Broncos staff - they have some room for "diversity" - almost like the 1985 Boston Celtics

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

NFL teams cannot hire away other teams’ coaches under contract in a lateral move. Just would be a terrible practice and is forbidden as a result.

I guess the Chargers asking to interview McConnell for the OC job kind of discredits the Mike Lombardi report? And the “I hate John Spanos and he is going to force Staley to keep his current coaches to save money” theory?

McConnell still may come. Right now I bet McVay is still steaming over losing the playoff game. He should be, as would any competitive coach. So he may just want some time to think. And if McConnell is really unhappy staying, McVay will want to let him go if he cannot convince him he has a better shot with the Rams than the Bolts. Don’t want someone on staff whose heart is not in it.. If he does decide to block McConnell he has every right to do that.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    NFL teams cannot hire away other teams’ coaches under contract in a lateral move. Just would be a terrible practice and is forbidden as a result.

I guess the Chargers asking to interview McConnell for the OC job kind of discredits the Mike Lombardi report? And the “I hate John Spanos and he is going to force Staley to keep his current coaches to save money” theory?

McConnell still may come. Right now I bet McVay is still steaming over losing the playoff game. He should be, as would any competitive coach. So he may just want some time to think. If he does decide to block McConnell he has every right to do that.

TG
                    What happens after their contract expires? They can pursue other jobs that are lateral moves. No? What happens then with picks when a coach decides to move on to a better team that pays more but is the same level of coaching?
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Yes when the contract expires they can do whatever they please. I don’t know the answer to the second question but it is a good one.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What happens after their contract expires? They can pursue other jobs that are lateral moves. No? What happens then with picks when a coach decides to move on to a better team that pays more but is the same level of coaching?
                        The team that has the contract on the coach has the control, unless is is an actual promotion. Getting the title of "Assistant Head Coach" seems to qualify for that. If you let someone interview for a lateral move, its a signal that you are ok with losing the coach

Comment

• swand
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                          And this from Albert Breer - Rams are blocking Kevin O'Connell, at least today, from interviewing with the Chargers. Probably helps Pep or Steichen keep the job. If so, I will take Pleasant as DC

Sources: The Rams blocked OC Kevin O'Connell from interviewing for the same job with the Chargers. They really value O'Connell, and the job he did for them this year. Lines of communication remain open, so things could change. But that's where the Rams stand now.
                          Even though O'Connell got blocked, this is still good news IMHO. It means that Staley isn't being forced to bring Steichen on as OC an he's at least considering other options.

Comment

Working...
                          X