• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Oh yeah me too. But looks like Chargers don’t really value him seeing as their letting him interview with Steelers and other teams I think.
    Well the Chargers cannot block Pep from interviewing with the Steelers sinces its a promotion from QB coach to OC. And based on Peps resume, he probably does deserve another opportunity to be OC

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

Saints style offense dumping it down to RB's. Herbert can get more vertical than Brees so can open it up more.
      I know they talk about the Shanahan offense last year and moving forward this year with McVay and all that - and maybe its just me but wouldn't the Arians "no risk it no biscuit vertical passing game" down the damn field work best for Herbert.

Where is Jaws with that goofy grin sitting at NFL Films talking about "the VERTICAL downfield throw" - thats what I want from Herbert. OPen that buddy up and let 'er rip!!!

Comment

• Silversurfer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Los Angeles
        • Send PM

Oh yeah me too. But looks like Chargers don’t really value him seeing as their letting him interview with Steelers and other teams I think.
        Or coach Staley has a vision and the way he wants the Offense to run, maybe Pep is not that guy. Per his press conference he wants the O.C to be a strong leader and not just a clip board warrior, sounds like the guy will have a big role as it should while he takes care of the D.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

On Lombardi...
          Lombardi joined the Saints as an offensive assistant in 2007, and became the quarterbacks coach before the Saints' Super Bowl winning season of 2009.[9] During his time in New Orleans, starting quarterback Drew Brees set numerous passing records, including passing for more than 5,000 yards five times (four times with Lombardi as quarterbacks coach), and setting the record (now surpassed) for the most passing yards in a single season (5,476 in 2011).

Lombardi was offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions from 2014 to 2015. On October 26, 2015, he was fired by the Lions, along with several other members of the coaching staff, after a 1–6 start to the season.[10] He was re-hired by the New Orleans Saints to his original position.[citation needed]
          Don't get too caught up in OLD Drew Brees from the last few seasons. Brees had some Dynamic numbers under Lombardi, and Lombardi is part of the crew that implemented Taysum Hill, as well.

No idea how good he'll be as a playcaller.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Ok I want Steichen to be replaced by someone better for sure by Lombardi ain’t it.

Lions fans made this just a few years ago when he was their OC.

The Lions have failed no matter who is their HC or assistants. Look who they just hired? Stafford needs to get away from that dumpster fire franchise.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well the Chargers cannot block Pep from interviewing with the Steelers sinces its a promotion from QB coach to OC. And based on Peps resume, he probably does deserve another opportunity to be OC
              If they wanted to keep Pep, he would have been announced as the OC already which then they could block it. Right now he is pretty much on the PS ready to be plucked.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I know they talk about the Shanahan offense last year and moving forward this year with McVay and all that - and maybe its just me but wouldn't the Arians "no risk it no biscuit vertical passing game" down the damn field work best for Herbert.

Where is Jaws with that goofy grin sitting at NFL Films talking about "the VERTICAL downfield throw" - thats what I want from Herbert. OPen that buddy up and let 'er rip!!!
                Arian’s is not a good scheme IMO. It’s too stale and inflexible. There’s a lack of modern concepts like motions for example. Think of the problems with Norv’s offense with its constant 7 step drops and you get a small idea of the same problems. Some examples include the QBs getting beat up too much because of the constant vertical attacks, the overly complications where the QBs usually struggle with interceptions the first year since you need to have godly anticipation like Rivers, and requires premium talent at the OL and receiver position to perform well. Brady may have done well this season but you definitely saw the struggles at times.

The best system that can be developed for Herbert is still the one ingrained in the Shanahan roots.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Per Breer - Ravens are hiring Rob Ryan and possibly Anthony Weaver

If this is true about Weaver - well that was one named for the DC job that won't be happening.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

So does a HC get to pick his offensive staff? Or is this now the new argument since it’s someone you like? Make up your mind already.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Per Breer - Ravens are hiring Rob Ryan and possibly Anthony Weaver

If this is true about Weaver - well that was one named for the DC job that won't be happening.
                      I’m more intrigued by Gannon as DC actually.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Arian’s is not a good scheme IMO. It’s too stale and inflexible. There’s a lack of modern concepts like motions for example. Think of the problems with Norv’s offense with its constant 7 step drops and you get a small idea of the same problems. Some examples include the QBs getting beat up too much because of the constant vertical attacks, the overly complications where the QBs usually struggle with interceptions the first year since you need to have godly anticipation like Rivers, and requires premium talent at the OL and receiver position to perform well. Brady may have done well this season but you definitely saw the struggles at times.

The best system that can be developed for Herbert is still the one ingrained in the Shanahan roots.
                        All valid points - good thoughts - thanks. Don't remind me of those 7 step drops, slower developing plays and yes it tooks Rivers abilities to avoid more sacks.

But I do like the idea a few times a game of using Herberts ability to pass the football thats for sure.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I think Staley calling the defense may be chilling on getting a real superstar DC in here, but maybe an up and comer who wants to make a name and get hired elsewhere does join the staff? For that reason, I think it more likely we get Renaldo Hill from the Broncos than Gannon or the other hot names. I honestly don't know why infinity times failure Rob Ryan keeps getting jobs? He is not a good coach and there have got to be better candidates out there.

Lombardi is a good coach. Don't know how he would be as OC, but he is a good QB coach and must have learned a lot from Peyton, But Peyton is a Parcells guy and does not run the Shanahan offense? Or perhaps what offense he runs does not matter if Staley wants his own, customized Herbert offense. If he does come, Lombardi might really help Stick.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X