• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

I'm wary of FA market but I'd be interested in Linsley if his price was right. I'd keep the left side of our OL and bring in rookies for them to compete with. I still can't believe how much better Tevi played this year (not that he was great but he sure was better than he was in 2019) - maybe Lamp and Feeney can take a step too? I can see us being able to draft two OL that can make reserves out of two 0f this years starters.

Boltnut, I wouldn't be so quick to cut Hayward. He played hurt this year.I suspect he still has some good games in him. It's hard to play football on bad legs.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I'm wary of FA market but I'd be interested in Linsley if his price was right. I'd keep the left side of our OL and bring in rookies for them to compete with. I still can't believe how much better Tevi played this year (not that he was great but he sure was better than he was in 2019) - maybe Lamp and Feeney can take a step too? I can see us being able to draft two OL that can make reserves out of two 0f this years starters.

Boltnut, I wouldn't be so quick to cut Hayward. He played hurt this year.I suspect he still has some good games in him. It's hard to play football on bad legs.
      two years ago -- Mebane, god bless him, his daughter was ill (may she RIP), I think he was hurt and he came back in 2019, wasn't that good

last year, Pouncey, hurt in 2019, came back in 2020 - hurt

I know its a small sample size but Haywards cash owed is 9.5m -- thats pretty substantive for a guy soon to be 32 years old. I think they can find somebody better for the same money. Relying on an older guy to not be injured is a tall order to me.

for me, better a year too early than hoping

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

To a point, older guys can't, but there are plenty of guys who have been hurt some and then put seasons in their 30's to stay healthy. It is a gamble, but it is not necessarily unheard of.

Probably more important is the fact that there are only so many good players out there. If we go out and try and buy a #1 CB, it is going to cost a lot more than what we pay Hayward. In terms of salary cap positioning, Heyward is the 15th ranked guy (his cap number is $11.4 mill), and near the end of his deal, so a new deal will be much closer to the other end of the position pay scale than where Heyward is (at #15). That puts a #1 CB in the $14 mill plus.

We at least get to free up more rosters spots, since if we cut Heyward, then there is no reasonable person who would think we could keep another overpriced 32 yr old CB in Harris.

I am not against the idea of cutting a lot of overpriced guys, but I would not necessarily be in a big hurry to piss it away on FA, since that approach simply has NEVER worked. IT is a good way to get everyone excited in the offseason, but the regular season tells a different tale. Again, there are a few exceptions, but big money guys are historically mostly a waste of money. Better to go looking for the low end and simply let them and undrafted guys compete.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          To a point, older guys can't, but there are plenty of guys who have been hurt some and then put seasons in their 30's to stay healthy. It is a gamble, but it is not necessarily unheard of.

Probably more important is the fact that there are only so many good players out there. If we go out and try and buy a #1 CB, it is going to cost a lot more than what we pay Hayward. In terms of salary cap positioning, Heyward is the 15th ranked guy (his cap number is $11.4 mill), and near the end of his deal, so a new deal will be much closer to the other end of the position pay scale than where Heyward is (at #15). That puts a #1 CB in the $14 mill plus.

We at least get to free up more rosters spots, since if we cut Heyward, then there is no reasonable person who would think we could keep another overpriced 32 yr old CB in Harris.

I am not against the idea of cutting a lot of overpriced guys, but I would not necessarily be in a big hurry to piss it away on FA, since that approach simply has NEVER worked. IT is a good way to get everyone excited in the offseason, but the regular season tells a different tale. Again, there are a few exceptions, but big money guys are historically mostly a waste of money. Better to go looking for the low end and simply let them and undrafted guys compete.
          Big, bloated FA deals that usually result in slacker results...like Franklin...on the other hand, I like looking for FA bargains or reasonable FA deals, depending on the player...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Hayward played in 14 out of 16 games this season. I don't buy the injury thing. He seemed healthy enough in a lot of the games he played in. Hayward is on the decline, he isn't that good now, and our secondary was very bad and it needs to be fixed.

If we're getting a OL FA, I prefer a younger player who has more years ahead of him. Not a guy who is in the latter part of his career.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

two years ago -- Mebane, god bless him, his daughter was ill (may she RIP), I think he was hurt and he came back in 2019, wasn't that good

last year, Pouncey, hurt in 2019, came back in 2020 - hurt

I know its a small sample size but Haywards cash owed is 9.5m -- thats pretty substantive for a guy soon to be 32 years old. I think they can find somebody better for the same money. Relying on an older guy to not be injured is a tall order to me.

for me, better a year too early than hoping
              Eric Weddle was "too old" but had three more good years after we let him go - Junior and Rodney, same thing

ChargersPowderBlue - it was Gus that said Hayward was playing with an injury
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

Eric Weddle was "too old" but had three more good years after we let him go - Junior and Rodney, same thing

He's been the most consistent in our secondary. 32 and locking up the opponents #1 every week. I would rather give him some love. He's been rock solid since coming over from the Packers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Harrison was younger than Hayward and also played a different position.

I am exploring my options.

Comment

• Iowachargers 70
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

He would break his finger putting the cap back on the pen after signing his new contract......THEN he would blow out his ACL standing up from the table........
                    LMAO

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Here is a statistic for the sign Linsley proponents........

Corey gave up the same total pressures (4) in 2020 as Feeney gave up sacks (4).
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                        Trent Williams is a wall. Worth spending the money. We need our GM to do his job for once. Draft OL/DL; no trades up.
                        I agree here. This is the needed and the most safe FA for the Chargers.. And yes, it will be expensive, which is what you get when you have missed so badly with young OL in the draft.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good grief.

Fans with Hunter Henry/Mike Willams jerseys agree with you.

However, the results with Jack Conklin, Andrew Whitworth and Trent Williams have been nothing short of spectacular.

Our circumstances scream out for pointing to New Orleans or San Francisco for an anchor that transforms our Oline immediate, and while Herbert is on his rookie contract.

:coffee:
                          Trent Williams makes too much sense here. The OL is in shambles. It’s best to build around a tried and true foundational piece. The wear and tear is not so bad either, especially considering he basically sat out a year. He is the type that is built to last. With him as the foundational piece, he automatically upgrades the entire unit and will make others appear better.

Comment

Working...
                          X