• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

under slomo you could clearly see he turned the head while holding the facemask. he used that to position himself and also get ramsey out of position. shouldve been a flag for sure. but oh well I had no beef in this game. it aint illegal if ya aint caught right?

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That is ridiculous. Watch the play again. There is no meaningful contact from Ramsey at all. There is just Higgins grabbing Ramsey by the facemask and throwing him to the ground.

Even the posters on the Bengals forum recognized that that was a ridiculous non-call against Higgins. They thought the questionable penalty called against Wilson was a makeup call so that the Super Bowl would not be decided on the bad missed facemask call against Higgins.
      I watched the play, unfortunately too many people here have an emotional investment in it. As I said it should have been offsetting penalties or no penalty at all. Either one would have been correct. Yes Ramsey was PIing him the entire time, holding, grabbing and tugging on him.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

all scoring plays are reviewed but they cant change non calls. Hopefully NFL allows replay to call flags this off season
        All that will do is allow the Chargers to get hosed in replay when the on field guys miss the chance to screw the Chargers in real time.

This will never be applied fairly or correctly so I would have to say no way to this.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I watched the play, unfortunately too many people here have an emotional investment in it. As I said it should have been offsetting penalties or no penalty at all. Either one would have been correct. Yes Ramsey was PIing him the entire time, holding, grabbing and tugging on him.
          WTF? The LAR defenders switched coverage as the inside receiver (Higgins) went from inside to outside where Ramsey was defending. The result of this was that there was literally no contact at all between the players until the very end of the route when Ramsey reaches to Higgins and barely contacts Higgins with his right hand/arm, contact that constitutes the most minor of hand fighting that would never get called in any game. Meanwhile, Higgins uses one had to grab Ramsey's facemask to throw him down, while he uses the other to help push him in the direction he is already pulling/throwing him.

It is crazy that you think that there can be PI "the entire time" when 80+% of the route takes place with there being literally no contact at all between the players and there being open separation. It does not look like Ramsey ever holds, tugs, grabs or does anything other than making very minor contact with his hand/arm for a brief moment before getting absolutely tossed aside by Higgins.

You are so far off that it makes me wonder if you are even looking at the correct play--the Higgins facemask non-call TD play.

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

WTF? The LAR defenders switched coverage as the inside receiver (Higgins) went from inside to outside where Ramsey was defending. The result of this was that there was literally no contact at all between the players until the very end of the route when Ramsey reaches to Higgins and barely contacts Higgins with his right hand/arm, contact that constitutes the most minor of hand fighting that would never get called in any game. Meanwhile, Higgins uses one had to grab Ramsey's facemask to throw him down, while he uses the other to help push him in the direction he is already pulling/throwing him.

It is crazy that you think that there can be PI "the entire time" when 80+% of the route takes place with there being literally no contact at all between the players and there being open separation. It does not look like Ramsey ever holds, tugs, grabs or does anything other than making very minor contact with his hand/arm for a brief moment before getting absolutely tossed aside by Higgins.

You are so far off that it makes me wonder if you are even looking at the correct play--the Higgins facemask non-call TD play.
            So what you are saying is that it was clear that the refs were letting the players play and not calling phantom or ticky tack calls (until the Rams had to have it at the end of the game). Got it and I agree with you 100% that the game was fixed because the refs changed how they officiated the game at the end to make sure the Rams won the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

So what you are saying is that it was clear that the refs were letting the players play and not calling phantom or ticky tack calls (until the Rams had to have it at the end of the game). Got it and I agree with you 100% that the game was fixed because the refs changed how they officiated the game at the end to make sure the Rams won the game.
              No, I am saying that everyone on this planet should be able to recognize that when one player pulls another player down by the facemask and gains an advantage because of that and that play improperly stands to be the difference in the game in favor of the Bengals, then there could easily be a willingness to give the Rams the benefit of the doubt on a close play later in the game. Had the facemask play decided the game, it might have gone down as the single worst call (including non-calls) in Super Bowl history instead of just being an obviously bad missed call.

The game was in no way fixed and the officiating favored the Bengals on the whole, who were gifted a TD outright versus the Rams just being helped along a little on a play that at the end of the day was a close, but legitimate call either way.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

That play was either a non call (the right call) or PI on both parties, off setting penalties. There is NO way it was only offensive PI.
                You're just making shit up now. There was minor, incidental contact at the top of the route as Ramsey used touch to keep track of Higgins. Higgins was not moved off the route at all. Ramsey had inside leverage on an underthrown ball and was turned to play the ball. He has a right to his position. If that is PI you want PI on literally every single snap.

Best view starts at 1:25

You are pretty much the only person in the world making a stand on this particular hill. Why? It was a clear blown call. Pushing for a ticky tacky DPI doesn't negate the massive blown call. Even offsetting penalties takes away the TD.

So yeah, offsetting penalties. 1st and 10 from the 25. Woohoo.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

No, I am saying that everyone on this planet should be able to recognize that when one player pulls another player down by the facemask and gains an advantage because of that and that play improperly stands to be the difference in the game in favor of the Bengals, then there could easily be a willingness to give the Rams the benefit of the doubt on a close play later in the game. Had the facemask play decided the game, it might have gone down as the single worst call (including non-calls) in Super Bowl history instead of just being an obviously bad missed call.

The game was in no way fixed and the officiating favored the Bengals on the whole, who were gifted a TD outright versus the Rams just being helped along a little on a play that at the end of the day was a close, but legitimate call either way.
                  So now you are good with the refs calling the game one way the entire game and then changing it at the last minute to favor one team? That does not make sense.

I would have been fine with offsetting penalties on that pass as well.

Oh and no way was the officiating in favor of the Bengals the entire game. Did you watch the game? or just the last seconds of that one pass play?

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

You're just making shit up now. There was minor, incidental contact at the top of the route as Ramsey used touch to keep track of Higgins. Higgins was not moved off the route at all. Ramsey had inside leverage on an underthrown ball and was turned to play the ball. He has a right to his position. If that is PI you want PI on literally every single snap.

Best view starts at 1:25

You are pretty much the only person in the world making a stand on this particular hill. Why? It was a clear blown call. Pushing for a ticky tacky DPI doesn't negate the massive blown call. Even offsetting penalties takes away the TD.

So yeah, offsetting penalties. 1st and 10 from the 25. Woohoo.
                    I would have been fine with offsetting penalties as well.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I would have been fine with offsetting penalties as well.
                      1. No such thing as penalties being conditional on other penalties. It either was a facemask or it wasn't, regardless of anything that happened earlier in the play. (It clearly was a FM)

2. offsetting penalties negate the TD so I have no idea why you even think that is on your side of the argument.

It was a bad missed call any way you cut it. It resulted in a TD.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

1. No such thing as penalties being conditional on other penalties. It either was a facemask or it wasn't, regardless of anything that happened earlier in the play. (It clearly was a FM)

2. offsetting penalties negate the TD so I have no idea why you even think that is on your side of the argument.

It was a bad missed call any way you cut it. It resulted in a TD.
                        The difference in the non/missed call is that it fit the flow of the game. The refs can call fouls on almost any play and some games they do and others they don’t. This was a great old school called game. They were allowing physical play the whole time. I’m much less worried about consistently keeping the flag in their pocket than I am on them deciding that on a critical missed 3rd down late in the game that it’s time to change how they were calling the game.

It’s akin to an umpire calling the outside strike and then bottom of the 9th with 2 out squeezing the pitcher to walk the bases loaded.

It’s not the value of the call it’s the timing.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

The difference in the non/missed call is that it fit the flow of the game. The refs can call fouls on almost any play and some games they do and others they don’t. This was a great old school called game. They were allowing physical play the whole time. I’m much less worried about consistently keeping the flag in their pocket than I am on them deciding that on a critical missed 3rd down late in the game that it’s time to change how they were calling the game.

It’s akin to an umpire calling the outside strike and then bottom of the 9th with 2 out squeezing the pitcher to walk the bases loaded.

It’s not the value of the call it’s the timing.
                          I didn't like the hold call on the last series.

The facemask miss was clear and obvious and a separate issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X