• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nunc Coepi
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

I have watched a lot of games where the referees have been the decisive factor. Some of these games--- like Patriots or Steelers games---- are games where the referees are favoring one team from start to finish. There are many phantom calls. The NFL is clearly pushing for a specific outcome.

Then there are the kinds of games where the referees don't intervene until the last minute. The final game of Rivers career as a Charger was such a game. Does anyone remember it? It was in Denver. The Chargers had tied the game in the closing two minutes. It was headed to overtime, and we had the momentum. But the Broncos got the ball back--- with about 45 seconds left. Their quarterback threw a 60 yard pass into the air. It was overthrown and uncatchable. And it wasn't even close. But Casey Hayward got called for interference.

It gave the Broncos the field position to win the game with a field goal, which they did.

It was a meaningless game. Both teams had shitty records. But the referees decided to make the home crowd happy, so they guaranteed a Bronco's win with a flag thrown at the last second. It gave the Broncos more than half the length of the field.

I view the Super Bowl we just watched as the same kind of game. The NFL let both teams play. The Bengals would have won if they had had a good lead and held it. But Ron Torbert's reffing crew probably had instructions to help the Rams win if the score was close in the final minutes.

Don't fool yourself. We all saw it.

Anyone remember the non-call pass interference that got the Rams into the Super Bowl a couple of years ago?

It was in the final couple of minutes. Same kind of deal

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

So you were OK with Ramsey PIing the whole way down the field then when the WR reacts to the PI then there should be hell to pay for the reaction? The non-call
      was the right call.
      I am fine with hand fighting no calls. We see that now on almost every passing play.

Turning a guy's head by his facemask and using it to throw Ramsey down is a personal foul and needs to be called every time. That was a terrible missed call.

And there really was not anything close to PI committed by Ramsey on the long TD pass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nunc Coepi View Post
        I have watched a lot of games where the referees have been the decisive factor. Some of these games--- like Patriots or Steelers games---- are games where the referees are favoring one team from start to finish. There are many phantom calls. The NFL is clearly pushing for a specific outcome.

Then there are the kinds of games where the referees don't intervene until the last minute. The final game of Rivers career as a Charger was such a game. Does anyone remember it? It was in Denver. The Chargers had tied the game in the closing two minutes. It was headed to overtime, and we had the momentum. But the Broncos got the ball back--- with about 45 seconds left. Their quarterback threw a 60 yard pass into the air. It was overthrown and uncatchable. And it wasn't even close. But Casey Hayward got called for interference.

It gave the Broncos the field position to win the game with a field goal, which they did.

It was a meaningless game. Both teams had shitty records. But the referees decided to make the home crowd happy, so they guaranteed a Bronco's win with a flag thrown at the last second. It gave the Broncos more than half the length of the field.

I view the Super Bowl we just watched as the same kind of game. The NFL let both teams play. The Bengals would have won if they had had a good lead and held it. But Ron Torbert's reffing crew probably had instructions to help the Rams win if the score was close in the final minutes.

Don't fool yourself. We all saw it.

Anyone remember the non-call pass interference that got the Rams into the Super Bowl a couple of years ago?

It was in the final couple of minutes. Same kind of deal
        The worst missed call was Higgins throwing Ramsey to the ground by his facemask. That cannot ever be a no call.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am fine with hand fighting no calls. We see that now on almost every passing play.

Turning a guy's head by his facemask and using it to throw Ramsey down is a personal foul and needs to be called every time. That was a terrible missed call.

And there really was not anything close to PI committed by Ramsey on the long TD pass.
          That play was either a non call (the right call) or PI on both parties, off setting penalties. There is NO way it was only offensive PI.

Comment

• Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

That play was either a non call (the right call) or PI on both parties, off setting penalties. There is NO way it was only offensive PI.
            That is ridiculous. Watch the play again. There is no meaningful contact from Ramsey at all. There is just Higgins grabbing Ramsey by the facemask and throwing him to the ground.

Even the posters on the Bengals forum recognized that that was a ridiculous non-call against Higgins. They thought the questionable penalty called against Wilson was a makeup call so that the Super Bowl would not be decided on the bad missed facemask call against Higgins.

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

That call should've been made just for the good spirit and image of the game... I thought every TD play was reviewed upstairs.. am I wrong on that?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

And certainly not a personal foul. At worst a 5 yard facemask. It wasn't purposely done.

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Were y'all watching the same game as me? He grabbed him by the facemask and pulled him out of position. Ramsey would likely come down with the INT without it?

Anyway, is this really the right forum for this thread? People talking about gematria and shit.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      Were y'all watching the same game as me? He grabbed him by the facemask and pulled him out of position. Ramsey would likely come down with the INT without it?

Anyway, is this really the right forum for this thread? People talking about gematria and shit.
                      Yes.Yes it is.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                        That call should've been made just for the good spirit and image of the game... I thought every TD play was reviewed upstairs.. am I wrong on that?
                        all scoring plays are reviewed but they cant change non calls. Hopefully NFL allows replay to call flags this off season

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

all scoring plays are reviewed but they cant change non calls. Hopefully NFL allows replay to call flags this off season
                          It would really not be hard to have the league review blatantly obvious missed calls like that quickly without endlessly delaying the game. But I get that people would not be happy that every tricky tack call was not reviewed.

Comment

Working...
                          X