• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Staley says he likes Fehoko, Broughton and Gaziano as under the radar contributors..
    Lol. He better be David Blaine

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Here's something that puzzles me. Why hasn't Telesco ever drafted a kicker? Given the chronic kicking problems the chargers always seem to have, I would think it would be a priority. Kickers are pretty important and often they lead their team in scoring. Of the nine kickers who had 90+ percent success rate on FGs in 2020, 5 were drafted and 4 were not. The 5 were drafted between the 5th and 7th rounds. The Bengals were the only team to draft a kicker this year: Evan McPherson out of Florida in the 5th #149. Telesco did bring in competition for M. Badger among the UDFAs, Alex Kessman out of Pitt. He's 6-3 and has powerful leg (which M. Badger lacks) but he wasn't that great in college - hitting under 73 percent of his FGs in college. He hit 12/18 from 50+ in four years at Pitt. M. Badger's success rate on long FGs is abysmal (as we all have suffered through). But I don't know if Kessman will beat out M. Badger if he isn't consistent from all distances.

The Bengals draft pick McPherson was 51/60 (.850) on FG attempts in three seasons at Florida and was 149/150 on XPs. I don't know if that makes him the best kicking prospect in the draft this year, but he was the only one drafted. It seems to me that 6th and 7th rounders are often throw-away picks. It seems to me it is worth it to draft a kicker if there are a few on the board that really stand out and seem like a pretty sure thing.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Here's something that puzzles me. Why hasn't Telesco ever drafted a kicker?
        Looks like the last kicker the Chargers drafted was a Kurt Smith in 2006. I don't know why they bothered, since they had drafted Nate Kaeding in 2004.

Checkout the complete draft history of Los Angeles Chargers starting from 1936 to present including year by year draft picks on Pro-Football-Reference.com

BTW, Nick Novak was still kicking in the minor leagues through last season. He played in the Alliance of American Football in 2019 until it folded during its first season, and then the XFL last season, with the same result:

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

A592CAA1-DAAD-4F07-B6C7-EEE6F8108DC8.jpeg
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lol. He better be David Blaine
            Clearly you underestimate the extraordinary powers of Staley.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Clearly you underestimate the extraordinary powers of Staley.
              I think he can pull rabbits out of his arse!

:Cheers1:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• eaterfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                Here's something that puzzles me. Why hasn't Telesco ever drafted a kicker? Given the chronic kicking problems the chargers always seem to have, I would think it would be a priority. Kickers are pretty important and often they lead their team in scoring. Of the nine kickers who had 90+ percent success rate on FGs in 2020, 5 were drafted and 4 were not. The 5 were drafted between the 5th and 7th rounds. The Bengals were the only team to draft a kicker this year: Evan McPherson out of Florida in the 5th #149. Telesco did bring in competition for M. Badger among the UDFAs, Alex Kessman out of Pitt. He's 6-3 and has powerful leg (which M. Badger lacks) but he wasn't that great in college - hitting under 73 percent of his FGs in college. He hit 12/18 from 50+ in four years at Pitt. M. Badger's success rate on long FGs is abysmal (as we all have suffered through). But I don't know if Kessman will beat out M. Badger if he isn't consistent from all distances.

The Bengals draft pick McPherson was 51/60 (.850) on FG attempts in three seasons at Florida and was 149/150 on XPs. I don't know if that makes him the best kicking prospect in the draft this year, but he was the only one drafted. It seems to me that 6th and 7th rounders are often throw-away picks. It seems to me it is worth it to draft a kicker if there are a few on the board that really stand out and seem like a pretty sure thing.
                They are probably more reasons than what I can think of but here are some:

1. You don't have to draft a kicker. There was one (1) kicker drafted this year. You can sign any other kicker out there. Yeah, 6th and 7th rounders are often throw aways, but even a 5% chance they become a solid starter or a 10% chance they become a solid contributor through depth isn't worth a pick when your can sign even the second best kicker as a UDFA.

2. There is a lot of variation between kickers year over year. The Chargers attempted 33 field goals last season, their opponents attempted 32. Each kick is about 3% of the sample size so one or two fluke kicks makes a kicker look good or bad and it's hard to evaluate true talent level. You even pointed out several kickers who were inconsistent or bad with the Chargers who have gone on to have success elsewhere. This shows it's probably not a talent issue.

3. It probably doesn't make a ton of difference. When you combine points one and two, you reach point three. Most guys who will be brought in will be within percentage points of each other and it's such a small sample and field goals are only worth 3 points and extra points are only worth one, so one year it might cost you 12 points or get you 12 points. An extra 2 TDs over a season are just worth more and it's easier to figure out how much of that is luck and how much is talent.

4. Teams are going for it more on 4th down. Field goal attempts are going to go down and further devalue the place kicker.

I'm talking about the difference between the above average kicker to the below average kicker. An upgrade from total crap to the best kicker is good, but unless you are drafting an all time great kicker, there's virtually no difference between kickers. It's just 99% luck. Let's not forget we've seen plenty of drafted kickers bust, so it's not like you are guaranteeing a better kicker by drafting one.
                Last edited by eaterfan; 05-03-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Sorry I do not invest in pass rushers that will turn 33 before the super bowl. And you're talking about two year contracts? Lost your damn minds.
                  On the other hand, Houston DID have 8 sacks last year...not bad for an old man...looks like he still has some gas left in the tank...

houston stats.JPG

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

On the other hand, Houston DID have 8 sacks last year...not bad for an old man...looks like he still has some gas left in the tank...

houston stats.JPG
                    Not really concerned about what he did last year. I'd be concerned about what he's going to be able to do going forward. Aging players production tends to fall off a cliff not a gradual decline.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Not really concerned about what he did last year. I'd be concerned about what he's going to be able to do going forward. Aging players production tends to fall off a cliff not a gradual decline.
                      Thats the (3-4) million dollar question - what veteran at this point at the older age has the gas still in the tank to make them worth the money
                      Granted, there should be analytics out there that show by position where players decline
                      It seems RB and CB post 30 - its a big deal. Something like OL or IDL, might not be as much/ But hopefully the Chargers have the analytics to show it

Chargers did sign Fackrell so the need for Edge might not be as much as say another DB and more OL depth. The depth right now at OL - off the top of my head is: Pipkins, Q'berry, Storm, St. Louis, Gilliam and Haimes. Kind of hoping Telesco spends a couple million on a better veteran for depth.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Definitely true! I don't think this team is a Superbowl favorite heading into the season, so I don't think we should be going all in on this season. I'd roll over some cap space into next year when we have a better idea of how our current players fit in the new offense and defense.
                        Quitter. This team is as SB worthy as any Charger team. Onward!
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Houston's last deal with the Colts was for 2 years, $24 mil. He'll probably be looking for something similar, though he might, might take something closer to $10 mil a year, on a 1-2 year deal, depending on the signing bonus and incentives. We have some $$$, but do we have enough to do that deal? Not so sure, need to keep a reserve in case a more bargain-basement signing opportunity comes along...
                          The Chargers, per OTC have just over $20m of cap space. If you take out the $10-11m needed to sign the rookies, the practice squad and an in-season slush fund, that leaves $9-10m. So, yes, they have funds to sign the RIGHT player. And granted, if you sign a player for $2.5 - the net to the cap is really $1.8m. So they have some good space

Justin Houston, soon to be 33 years old - not at 8-10m for me. Maybe 5-6 - but I just think he will go to the Ravens - been linked to them a couple weeks.

I think the Chargers would be wise to try to roll at least half of that 9-10m - call it the Herbert Fund.

Comment

Working...
                          X