Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Staley says he likes Fehoko, Broughton and Gaziano as under the radar contributors..
    Is Gaziano a DE/EDGE or an interior DL? He intrigues me. He was very productive at NW. Not sure why he wasn't drafted.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Is Gaziano a DE/EDGE or an interior DL? He intrigues me. He was very productive at NW. Not sure why he wasn't drafted.
      Gaziano is closer to an Edge than an interior guy.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

With the additions of two OL in the draft, the OL room is getting crowed. Assuming both rooks make the roster, there 10 OL. Will they carry that many, or thin it to nine? Assuming they do, and that Pipkins is safe, that leaves QBerry, St. Louis and Stormy battling for two roster spots. Who gets cut? QBerry can play center, so I think he's the most likely of the three to be retained. That leaves it down to Stormy or St. Louis not making the final cut.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

With the additions of two OL in the draft, the OL room is getting crowed. Assuming both rooks make the roster, there 10 OL. Will they carry that many, or thin it to nine? Assuming they do, and that Pipkins is safe, that leaves QBerry, St. Louis and Stormy battling for two roster spots. Who gets cut? QBerry can play center, so I think he's the most likely of the three to be retained. That leaves it down to Stormy or St. Louis not making the final cut.
          Or both not making it. I could see us only carrying 8-OL especially if we keep 3 QBs.
          We are becoming a deeper team.
          Possible cuts to drafted players @ RB, WR, QB, and EDGE/LB.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Veteran FA considerations.

One thing that still concerns me about the state of the roster is the lack of a 2nd dynamic pass rusher to protect Bosa from double teams. We have some guys but nobody who is going to take the pressure off Bosa. I don't know much about Fackrell. Uchenna is just a guy to me at this point, but maybe he breaks out this season. I don't know. We don't know about the rookie Rumph II yet and I don't know where Gaziano is going to play. I'd like to think we can upgrade from Lemonier. It feels like were a man short here and I wonder if they have a plan to bring in a veteran FA like Justin Houston, Vernon Olivier or even bring back Supa Melvin.

I also feel the D is light in linebackers. We don't know yet what the rookie is going to bring, so when you look past Murry, Tranquil and White it isn't inspiring - Egbule and Cole. I wonder even if White an be upgraded. So I feel this is another place they might add a veteran FA. KJ Wright? The only other veteran that appeals is Kwon Alexander.

There are only four safeties on the roster right now, so unless the UDFA (DeLuca) they signed shows enough to make the roster, I see FA veterans Hooker or Vaccaro as possibilities. Another reason I think they sign a veteran S is the lack of experience on the roster. James and Adderley have essentially played one season. Alohi played hardly any snaps last year, and the 4th guy is a rookie.

I also wonder if Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey could significantly upgrade the DL.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

One thing that still concerns me about the state of the roster is the lack of a 2nd dynamic pass rusher to protect Bosa from double teams. We have some guys but nobody who is going to take the pressure off Bosa. I don't know much about Fackrell. Uchenna is just a guy to me at this point, but maybe he breaks out this season. I don't know. We don't know about the rookie Rumph II yet and I don't know where Gaziano is going to play. I'd like to think we can upgrade from Lemonier. It feels like were a man short here and I wonder if they have a plan to bring in a veteran FA like Justin Houston, Vernon Olivier or even bring back Supa Melvin.

I also feel the D is light in linebackers. We don't know yet what the rookie is going to bring, so when you look past Murry, Tranquil and White it isn't inspiring - Egbule and Cole. I wonder even if White an be upgraded. So I feel this is another place they might add a veteran FA. KJ Wright? The only other veteran that appeals is Kwon Alexander.

There are only four safeties on the roster right now, so unless the UDFA (DeLuca) they signed shows enough to make the roster, I see FA veterans Hooker or Vaccaro as possibilities. Another reason I think they sign a veteran S is the lack of experience on the roster. James and Adderley have essentially played one season. Alohi played hardly any snaps last year, and the 4th guy is a rookie.

I also wonder if Sheldon Richardson or Jurrell Casey could significantly upgrade the DL.
              DL (8) - JJones, Joseph, Tillery, Broughton, TJ Smith, Fehoko, Goldwire, Merrill - Carry 5/6 on 53.

EDGE (7) - Bosa, Nwosu, Fackrell, Rumph II, Egbule, Gaziano, Lemonier - Carry 4/5 on 53.

ILB (7) - K9, Tranquill, Kyzir, Niemann, Bello, Cole, BongHit - Carry 4 on 53.

DB (13) - Derwin, Nasir, MDavis, Samuel Jr, CHJR, Alohi, R. Smith, Webb, Facyson, Campbell, Brannon, DeLuca, Vaughn - Carry 9/10 on 53.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

There are only a few pass rushers in the NFL who could draw attention away from Bosa. Staley will have to scheme up better opportunities for him. We do need improvement from all our young D personnel.
                We know Mike Davis, Asante Samuel, Chris Harris, Derwin James and Nasir Adderley are basic locks. Hopefully they can find useful depth from among the remaining 8 DBs.
                When is minicamp? The coaches need some '21 Chargers field experience. No OTAs sucks, particularly with a new coaching staff.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Unfortunately, we needed two drafts to get all the upgrades done, but only got one. Just like every year, we’re always a year behind.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

I would be stoked to grab Houston in FA.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      I would be stoked to grab Houston in FA.
                      Houston's last deal with the Colts was for 2 years, $24 mil. He'll probably be looking for something similar, though he might, might take something closer to $10 mil a year, on a 1-2 year deal, depending on the signing bonus and incentives. We have some $$$, but do we have enough to do that deal? Not so sure, need to keep a reserve in case a more bargain-basement signing opportunity comes along...

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Just thought this was interesting. At least we didn’t give up picks in the third round.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Houston's last deal with the Colts was for 2 years, $24 mil. He'll probably be looking for something similar, though he might, might take something closer to $10 mil a year, on a 1-2 year deal, depending on the signing bonus and incentives. We have some $$$, but do we have enough to do that deal? Not so sure, need to keep a reserve in case a more bargain-basement signing opportunity comes along...
                          Sorry I do not invest in pass rushers that will turn 33 before the super bowl. And you're talking about two year contracts? Lost your damn minds.

Comment

Working...
                          X