• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    Good read from Peter King. Free agency money across the NFL is down considerably and deals are expected to be 40 cents on the dollar. He thinks GM’s who sit out the frenzy in the first week will be able to get real bargains later on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ng/?cid=fmiatw
    Yep...my thinking exactly...though around a 50% dropoff in $$$ offers is interesting...it's supply and demand...this year, with all those salary cap cuts, PLUS the normal # of FA's on the market = a big oversupply of players competing for a limited # of $$$...yes, there should be some real bargains after the premium players get snapped up...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...my thinking exactly...though around a 50% dropoff in $$$ offers is interesting...it's supply and demand...this year, with all those salary cap cuts, PLUS the normal # of FA's on the market = a big oversupply of players competing for a limited # of $$$...yes, there should be some real bargains after the premium players get snapped up...
      At the same time - if you have a bit of cash like the Chargers - you should be able to get the better players for better value than previous years. In the King article I think he wrote last year was double the cap space for teams than this year. So the top guys like Ngouye, Thuney, maybe Linsley do get paid. Or maybe you can get Linsley for 3/30 when last year, with all the money out there he would have got 4/46 - for example.

So even though there are bargains; the price for the top players might be cheaper and the Chargers can still outbid many teams. Again, don't be stupid - but there is advantage to cap space

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
          Garofalo just said on NFLN this morning that Mike Davis will probably leave the Chargers with an AAV of possibly $10m plus

A bit surprised but all it takes is one team. Jaguars or Cardinals perhaps - of course the Raiders with Gus and Milus

Be patient Tom - be strategic, be disciplined. Have the process/plan and execute

(Wouldn't it be something if the Raiders signed like Ingram, Davis, maybe Perryman)
          Sounds like he’s spitballing. It’s anyone’s guess until it happens.

Comment

• BoltingUP
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2021
            • Send PM

Some things scream of a bad organization. At a time when the chargers have ignored the OL and after 5-10 years they have finally figured that out, they also have almost NO CBs and now it looks like we will need at least 2, if not 3 CBs. Nothing like planning to have the most expensive players on the field come up at the same time. I wonder if the chargers even bother to do any long-term planning. Lets hope FA brings us some bargain journeyman players, because we are going to need 3 or 4 of them to make these pieces fit.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Welcome aboard -- good to see you Dragon

I want Telesco to be pragmatic, have a plan but not be cheap. Zeitler signed today with the Ravens and since he was released, he is not part of the comp game

Now, I have no idea how Gabe Jackson, Nick Easton, Warford compare to say other IOL like Feiler, Martin, Blythe - but if they are similar in grade - maybe start using the comp game a bit better than he has in the past

As the King article states - and I figured this out yesterday with Aaron Jones and Feliciano, and now Zeitler, the dollars are down
              So I want Telesco to be choosy- the Chargers have the money. Don't over pay but also don't wait for table scraps just to get a bargain.

Edge Rusher is an area where I can see the Chargers signing a veteran on a one year deal - like the Rams did with Floyd - and drafting one too.
              12 mil a year for Aaron Jones isn't a down figure. That's a lot for him

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltingUP View Post
                Some things scream of a bad organization. At a time when the chargers have ignored the OL and after 5-10 years they have finally figured that out, they also have almost NO CBs and now it looks like we will need at least 2, if not 3 CBs. Nothing like planning to have the most expensive players on the field come up at the same time. I wonder if the chargers even bother to do any long-term planning. Lets hope FA brings us some bargain journeyman players, because we are going to need 3 or 4 of them to make these pieces fit.
                I think you’re panicking. They do a lot of long term planning. And they haven’t ignored OL. There’s been a ton of investment over the years through FA and the draft. It just hasn’t worked out long term. Bargain FAs are great since that’s where TT has been great at. Hayward is the best recent example.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

12 mil a year for Aaron Jones isn't a down figure. That's a lot for him
                  The maximum he can earn is 12 per year with incentives. Its closer to an AAV of 10m per Jason OTC.

The two OGs that signed were pretty good value. The Chargers should be able to address at least one OL position for similar price points as Feliciano and Zeitler. If not both if the names aren't Thuney, Linsley or Trent Williams.

Markus Golden got 9m/2 from the Cardinals

Thats not a lot - I thought he would get like 15/2

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

The maximum he can earn is 12 per year with incentives. Its closer to an AAV of 10m per Jason OTC.

The two OGs that signed were pretty good value. The Chargers should be able to address at least one OL position for similar price points as Feliciano and Zeitler. If not both if the names aren't Thuney, Linsley or Trent Williams.

Markus Golden got 9m/2 from the Cardinals

Thats not a lot - I thought he would get like 15/2
                    Still a lot. He hasnt been much more than Melvin Gordon who got 8 mil per year except that he had a better OL his whole career.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Shrewd, jolt, shrewd....
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Im thinking this is the window for Leonard Floyd, ....which IMO is too much for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X