• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

I think Johnson, Guyton, and Hill can pick up the slack sans Mike Williams, especially with a better O Line and RB committee.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
      I think Johnson, Guyton, and Hill can pick up the slack sans Mike Williams, especially with a better O Line and RB committee.
      I'd like to see some evidence they can get open more than twice a game before I crown them. Do you now that Mike Williams had the most receiving yards of all our receivers?
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Oklahoma
        • Send PM

We have possibly 4 WRs going into year 2. Good chance 2 will make strides and contribute more. M Williams in his rookie season struggled (and barely played due to injury I believe?)
        I just don't value the WR position as much as some unless it is Tyreek Hill or Julio Jones types.
        Also don't trust Mike to stay healthy as much as he lands awkwardly coupled with the history.
        Average receivers can thrive with a great QB and O LIne. Great receivers play on losing teams without a great QB or O Line. The Lions could not even win with Stafford and Calvin Johnson. The Packers had the best offense with Davante Adams and nobody else great to name just 2 of many examples:beer:

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

We have possibly 4 WRs going into year 2. Good chance 2 will make strides and contribute more. M Williams in his rookie season struggled (and barely played due to injury I believe?)
          I just don't value the WR position as much as some unless it is Tyreek Hill or Julio Jones types.
          Also don't trust Mike to stay healthy as much as he lands awkwardly coupled with the history.
          Average receivers can thrive with a great QB and O LIne. Great receivers play on losing teams without a great QB or O Line. The Lions could not even win with Stafford and Calvin Johnson. The Packers had the best offense with Davante Adams and nobody else great to name just 2 of many examples:beer:
          Wow....Its a QB league, why would you not want to get your QB some good WRs? Yes Rivers did well with average WRs at times when we had injuries but he did great with Keenan , VJax, Alexander, Tyrell, Chambers, Gates. Why give a top QB average WRs?

Stafford isnt going to win with just him and Megaton lol.

I think you need to do some research and i dont agree with this at all. Rodegrs has had a slew of very good WRs as has Ben and Brady has the best he has ever had right now as a group and he had Moss, Welker and Edelman on the same team before as well. Remember they went 18-0?

Comment

• boldarblood
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I am firmly in the pocket of retaining Williams or sign another Vet WR1/2. If KA13 goes down for any reason, we are left with a bunch of WR3/4 guys. I think surrounding Herbert with a bunch of average WR's aside from Slayer is just hot garbage. Give Herbert true WR threats.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Oklahoma
              • Send PM

I can give a long list of Super Bowl winners with great O Lines and/or Defenses, same can't be said for great WR cores. Yes I would love to have the league's best WR and TE group if we could strike gold with every pick at those positions, my point simply is the defense and O Line are more important.
              The game is won in the trenches, by the QB, and by the defense. I'll put WRs and RBs at the bottom of the list....and what can I say..."I'm A Trencher". :cheers:
              Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 02-02-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Oklahoma
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Wow....Its a QB league, why would you not want to get your QB some good WRs? Yes Rivers did well with average WRs at times when we had injuries but he did great with Keenan , VJax, Alexander, Tyrell, Chambers, Gates. Why give a top QB average WRs?

Stafford isnt going to win with just him and Megaton lol.

I think you need to do some research and i dont agree with this at all. Rodegrs has had a slew of very good WRs as has Ben and Brady has the best he has ever had right now as a group and he had Moss, Welker and Edelman on the same team before as well. Remember they went 18-0?

Rodgers is now this generation's Marino. A top 10 All Time QB with one SB appearance (Marino 2) because he hasn't had the defense, or run game/O Line.
                None of it happen for the Patriots or Steelers without great unsung O Lines and defenses.
                Elway always had great receivers and numbers, no championships until a great defense and run game.
                Giants, Redskins, Bears, of the 80s.
                If Manning and Brady had switched teams Manning would be the one with 6 SB wins. Who had better WRs? The Colts of course. The one position they were better than the Patriots.
                When Rivers was great, hell he even had prime LT. Didn't have the horses on defense or the O Line for LT to dominate in the playoffs.

From 2011: Tomlinson is 5-5 in the playoffs, and that doesn't include the Chargers' 2008 divisional round loss to the Steelers, when he couldn't play due to a groin injury.

In 10 career playoff games, Tomlinson has 131 rushes for 468 yards (3.6 yards per carry) and six touchdowns, and he's got 25 receptions for 176 yards and one touchdown.

While those numbers fall well below Tomlinson's career standard, his statistical output is even worse in his last eight playoff games. Tomlinson's postseason career began with two losses, but he amassed 49 carries, 203 rushing yards (4.1 yards per carry), two rushing touchdowns, 11 receptions and 117 receiving yards.
                Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 02-02-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

Im on the retain Williams side. For the right price. MW IMO has not lived up to his draft pick.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I can give a long list of Super Bowl winners with great O Lines and/or Defenses, same can't be said for great WR cores. Yes I would love to have the league's best WR and TE group if we could strike gold with every pick at those positions, my point simply is the defense and O Line are more important.
                    The game is won in the trenches, by the QB, and by the defense. I'll put WRs and RBs at the bottom of the list....and what can I say..."I'm A Trencher". :cheers:
                    Im not saying to ignore the trenches as I would never say that. Of course that matters but to say WRs don't matter for a QB in a passing league is ridiculous.
                    Obviously if the OL can't block it won't work but every QB needs playmakers.

It's a team effort and defense still can win championships though Goodell is making that a lot tougher with the crap rules.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

With Joe Lombardi in town, I expect to see the RB's (especially EKE) be involved in the passing game more. Kamara has caught 80 passes consistently for the past 4 years. The Saints used to spread the wealth around to their WR's too.

Comment

• Attack
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I'd like to see some evidence they can get open more than twice a game before I crown them. Do you now that Mike Williams had the most receiving yards of all our receivers?
                        What yr are you talking about? In 2020, Keenan had more yds receiving than MW. Or are you talking about yds per catch? MW didn't lead the team in that stat either, though, now that I think about it.
                        I agree that Herbert needs weapons, but also think he can make players better.
                        Keenan, HH, Tyron, Jalen, Parham and Anderson, Hill, and adding a FA WR like Keelan Cole would be sufficient weapons to win, imo. Give Herbert and these weapons this offseason to practice together and they will only get better. And maybe Reed can even add something to the O too.
                        I just hope the coaches are able to develop an offense that will optimize all the talents.
                        Last edited by Attack; 02-02-2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall. Never said receivers don't matter, my whole point is they are not as important as the offensive line therefore more money should be invested in the O Line. Secondly, Mike Williams has not been worth what he has been paid and under his current deal is a huge albatross next season.

Comment

Working...
                          X