• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

So far the Chargers have re-signed just one (Michael Davis) of their 16 unrestricted free agents, and only three (Stephen Anderson, Michael Badgley and Brandon Facyson) of their eight restricted free agents. They are significantly remaking the team. There are still several unsigned free agents, but the only one who would make a difference (and I know some people dispute this) is Ingram.
    Ingram had ZERO sacks in the 7 games he played this past season...I think he's done...PASS...

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Vastly overpaying him the last 4 years was one of the biggest problems in my opinion

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
        Vastly overpaying him the last 4 years was one of the biggest problems in my opinion
        I think the Chargers are going to find their edge rusher in the draft or post draft. Ingram was a good football player for much of his time with the Bolts but his last year - he was not very good. I think Telesco can wait out Edge Rusher in free agency. To me, if he is looking for depth signings pre-draft, its OT and CB. Until than, have the draft, see what you need an hit the veteran minimum market.

I did read there is a new rule for your own players that if they are 4+ years on your team, you can subtract 1.25m from the cap hit. I guess that would have applied to Tevi. Only player it might apply to is Hayward but is he truly a scheme fit. I don't think so.

Comment

• BoltingUP
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2021
          • Send PM

Lets talk about Needs (not upgrades or wants) for the Chargers roster. While rosters vary a little, rosters usually have 8 OL, 9 DL, 5 CB. 4 S, 6 LB (you can interchange an extra LB for one less CB or S for special team players). This is important because a GREAT Draft will give you 2 starters the year you draft them, usually you probably get one with players that become starters after their first year. Matching what drafts get you with actual needs tells us what we still need to do in FA.

1. Chargers OL Needs: Starting LT

Chargers have 9 on current roster (Aboushi, Feiler, Linsley, Norton, Pipkins, Quessenberry, St Louis, Gilliam, Hunter) The last two are off season signings which leaves us with 7 functional OL with not a starting LT on the roster.

2. Chargers DL Needs NONE, if you believe in Nwoso as edge and rookies signed

Chargers have 9 on the roster + Nwoso listed as a LB on the roster (Bosa, Broughton, Jones, Joseph, Tillery TJ Smith(R), Lemonier(R), Gaziano(R), Gehoko(R))

3. Chargers CB Needs 2 CB, Including 1 STARTING CB

Chargers have 5 on roster (Davis, Facyson, Harris jr, John Brannon(R), Dante Vaughn(R)) The unit that will be covering all the WR in the league and andy reid's offense needs two quality players.

4. Chargers S Needs ONE

Chargers have 3 (Derwin, Gilman, Adderly)

5. Chargers LB Needs NONE

Chargers have 7 (Bello, Christiansen(R), Egbule, Murray jr., Nwoso, Tranquill, White)

The Final tally of NEEDS (not upgrades or wants) is 1 starting LT, 1 starting CB, 1 additional CB and 1 additional S. Given that it takes a great draft to find 2 starters, and the 2nd corner will play a lot for us, we have FA work to do. This also means we have little flexibility on our 1st and 2nd round picks, which does not match TT philosophy of taking the best player on the board with the 1st pick, regardless of position. If we take a non-LT or CB with the 1st pick, the chance of a day 1 starter really drops statistically no matter how much we love player right now. We are NOT done in FA if we are going to fill these needs and give us the flexibility to draft upgrades to our roster.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltingUP View Post
            Lets talk about Needs (not upgrades or wants) for the Chargers roster. While rosters vary a little, rosters usually have 8 OL, 9 DL, 5 CB. 4 S, 6 LB (you can interchange an extra LB for one less CB or S for special team players). This is important because a GREAT Draft will give you 2 starters the year you draft them, usually you probably get one with players that become starters after their first year. Matching what drafts get you with actual needs tells us what we still need to do in FA.

Chargers have 9 on current roster (Aboushi, Feiler, Linsley, Norton, Pipkins, Quessenberry, St Louis, Gilliam, Hunter) The last two are off season signings which leaves us with 7 functional OL with not a starting LT on the roster.

Chargers have 9 on the roster + Nwoso listed as a LB on the roster (Bosa, Broughton, Jones, Joseph, Tillery TJ Smith(R), Lemonier(R), Gaziano(R), Gehoko(R))

Chargers have 5 on roster (Davis, Facyson, Harris jr, John Brannon(R), Dante Vaughn(R)) The unit that will be covering all the WR in the league and andy reid's offense needs two quality players.

4. Chargers S Needs ONE

Chargers have 7 (Bello, Christiansen(R), Egbule, Murray jr., Nwoso, Tranquill, White)

The Final tally of NEEDS (not upgrades or wants) is 1 starting LT, 1 starting CB, 1 additional CB and 1 additional S. Given that it takes a great draft to find 2 starters, and the 2nd corner will play a lot for us, we have FA work to do. This also means we have little flexibility on our 1st and 2nd round picks, which does not match TT philosophy of taking the best player on the board with the 1st pick, regardless of position. If we take a non-LT or CB with the 1st pick, the chance of a day 1 starter really drops statistically no matter how much we love player right now. We are NOT done in FA if we are going to fill these needs and give us the flexibility to draft upgrades to our roster.
            I agree that one LT, two CBs and one S are true NEEDs. I also think that another OG (draft) and Edge (draft) are strong WANTS. Never can have enough DLine depth either

I still think in Free AGency, Telesco will take care of at least one DB position - whether FS or CB just to have the depth.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

4. Chargers S Needs ONE

Ill venture to say while i agree technically we dont need DL. But you are always trying up upgrade a possition and though we have needs, i dont like to draft just on needs. BPA at a need or a player thats just too good to pass up type thing.

So i wont rule out a DL drafted of a LB. Early on i wanted to trade Kyzir and still would if we can get a decent pick as i just havent been that impressed with him and Egbule....what do we have with him? Does he fit? Only the coaches know that one.

I think we have more talent on the DL and may be good there though a Edge rusher i think is a need.

So for me....in no particular order, its LT, OG, CB, EDGE, S, RB are imo needs. Other possitions that id a good player that fits is there, cool...which includes LB cover type, WR, DL. In what order they come , ok then but LT is a huge need so a early pick i think is a must.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2020
                • Send PM

4. Chargers S Needs ONE

This is a wonderful breakdown, and outlines my concerns (I was admittedly too lazy to do this work). On paper, while the OL is better, the overall talent may not be better.

Many have been applauding Telesco or using optimist paeans about the "roster being remade." Well, the best FAs are gone at this point. Therefore, the roster will be remade through the draft, and I agree, we have serious starter needs, and Telesco -- at best -- finds 2 starters in this draft.

Over 7 drafts, Telesco has been relatively poor in the draft. He has made some good picks and found some UDFAs -- no question -- but he has not hit consistently in his drafts. Further, there has been no indication he has learned or improved his drafting over that time. He has been consistently inconsistent. Asking him to find 2 starters in the draft is dangerous, because I'm not sure he can do it.

Furthermore, the reality is that if the roster is being remade through the draft, then this is a 2 year process at least given Telesco's difficulties. Again, that would make sense if Telesco and his staff showed the ability to identify talent and build a team through the draft. But, again, they haven't.

I have faith in Staley. But he will have to be a damn savant to be in the draft room and help Telesco draft the right players, to then develop those players in a short period of time, and then to make the team a winning team. That seems like an amazing number of "ifs" given the limited window with Herbert on a rookie contract.

By the way, the Chargers finally hired someone to run analytics, right? Maybe that helps in this year's draft.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Ontario , Canada
                  • Send PM

Good analysis above.

I think they need a LT, EDGE and a slot CB if they view Davis as a starter. I don't know why they traded Desmond King who was one of the better in that area and a a great draft pick in the 5th round.

Ingram was good for about 8 sacks/yr before last year. We have no one on the roster capable of that production.

This season is starting to shape up like last season. We have starting level needs and we head into the draft where they are only partially addressed and then again it shows up in the record.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                    U think Ingram pulled a Franklin?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                      Good analysis above.

I think they need a LT, EDGE and a slot CB if they view Davis as a starter. I don't know why they traded Desmond King who was one of the better in that area and a a great draft pick in the 5th round.

Ingram was good for about 8 sacks/yr before last year. We have no one on the roster capable of that production.

This season is starting to shape up like last season. We have starting level needs and we head into the draft where they are only partially addressed and then again it shows up in the record.
                      They traded King for two reasons:

1. Chris Harris was getting more PT than King.
                      2. King complained on Twitter about not getting enough PT.

When u publicly diss TT and the Bolts, you're as good as gone...same thing with Gordon, Weddle, etc...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                        Good analysis above.

The main difference I see with this year and last year is the OLine should be better. It can't be worse.

Now that doesn't mean that Telesco doesn't need to address Edge, CB and still get OT. And Special Teams. So incremental improvement in pass rush; at worst status quo in DB - as long as DJ33 is healthy - but large improvement in Oline and Coaching - I can see the team being better

But Telesco still has a lot of work to do. Free agency and more so the draft.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ontario , Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

They traded King for two reasons:

1. Chris Harris was getting more PT than King.
                          2. King complained on Twitter about not getting enough PT.

When u publicly diss TT and the Bolts, you're as good as gone...same thing with Gordon, Weddle, etc...
                          Chris Harris was a starter at outside CB in DEN. King was an all pro slot corner one year. Just too bad either way

Comment

Working...
                          X