• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Just reading twitter and a tweet about the Bills and how they a minimal amount of cap space and they might not be able to bring back Feliciano, Milano and Darryl Williams and mentioned cutting three players: John Brown WR and two DTs, Quinton Jefferson or Vernon Butler

Now I have no clue if either of the two DTs would fit but one thing is for sure, Joseph is getting a year older and these two players are in their mid 20's.

Again the Chargers need to smart, patient and strategic with their cap space. I mean other teams will too - but many teams. 12 teams are over the cap, another 4 have under 10m - thats hafl the league

So I think signings are going to take some time - meaning the teams need to know how much the cap truly is. But teams will need to release players.

It will be a buyers market and it might not make sense to keep even Joseph and Hayward when for the same money you can get younger better players if strategic and patient. I am already waiving Turner. Not saying cut Joseph but there might be options on the DL better for the Staley system.

Buckle up - Ed Maguire have that spreadsheet ready

Comment

• eaterfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      Just reading twitter and a tweet about the Bills and how they a minimal amount of cap space and they might not be able to bring back Feliciano, Milano and Darryl Williams and mentioned cutting three players: John Brown WR and two DTs, Quinton Jefferson or Vernon Butler

Now I have no clue if either of the two DTs would fit but one thing is for sure, Joseph is getting a year older and these two players are in their mid 20's.

Again the Chargers need to smart, patient and strategic with their cap space. I mean other teams will too - but many teams. 12 teams are over the cap, another 4 have under 10m - thats hafl the league

So I think signings are going to take some time - meaning the teams need to know how much the cap truly is. But teams will need to release players.

It will be a buyers market and it might not make sense to keep even Joseph and Hayward when for the same money you can get younger better players if strategic and patient. I am already waiving Turner. Not saying cut Joseph but there might be options on the DL better for the Staley system.

I generally agree with this sentiment. I think the Chargers may be better off saving $10-15 million in cap space to use as the season draws closer and we get post June 1st cuts. I think we'll see guys who would have been signing $5 million deals going for really cheap.

I'm not sure what the answer is with Hayward, but I don't think as many premium position players will be cut as guys up the middle. I think LBs, DTs, Gs, C's, and RBs will be there for the taking.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I generally agree with this sentiment. I think the Chargers may be better off saving $10-15 million in cap space to use as the season draws closer and we get post June 1st cuts. I think we'll see guys who would have been signing $5 million deals going for really cheap.

I'm not sure what the answer is with Hayward, but I don't think as many premium position players will be cut as guys up the middle. I think LBs, DTs, Gs, C's, and RBs will be there for the taking.
        June 1 cuts can happen in March but the player is classified in June. But I do think there will be players happy to take a one year deal for say $4m and hope the cap goes up in 2022 and get paid more money.

My thing with Hayward is his game started to decline last year. Now maybe Linval Joseph on the DL can hang at 32; but I am not sure Casey Hayward at 32 can hang with the KC, RAider and Bronco wide outs. Kind of like RB - there is a point where the decline at certain positions is more noticeable

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Love me some Ed McGuire.
          Here's a thought for BUF.
          Cut Star Lotulelei. :chuckle:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Love me some Ed McGuire.
            Here's a thought for BUF.
            Cut Star Lotulelei. :chuckle:
            I looked already - where as the players listed above create cap savings; Star would create a larger dead cap hit!

But truly - there are going to be really good players out there and players will want to get paid. Chargers are in a great spot to really improve the team. So other that maybe Davis and Henry - -I am letting the rest of the Charger players, even Mike williams, test the FA waters.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I looked already - where as the players listed above create cap savings; Star would create a larger dead cap hit!

But truly - there are going to be really good players out there and players will want to get paid. Chargers are in a great spot to really improve the team. So other that maybe Davis and Henry - -I am letting the rest of the Charger players, even Mike williams, test the FA waters.
              Sure.
              Fluker vs Star will always haunt us.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Sure.
                Fluker vs Star will always haunt us.
                Yep...that one, along with:

Candyman vs. Polamalu

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

In 1985, the Chargers have chosen the 5th best OL of the draft (Jim Lachey).
                  The best WR was avalaible at 12 (Jerry Rice).

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    In 1985, the Chargers have chosen the 5th best OL of the draft (Jim Lachey).
                    The best WR was avalaible at 12 (Jerry Rice).
                    Lachey was a Pro-Bowler, until he wimped out on the Bolts and demanded to be traded, which they did...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Lachey was a Pro-Bowler, until he wimped out on the Bolts and demanded to be traded, which they did...
                      he wanted more money, spanos would hace none of it.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Be careful what you wish for..

Nate Solder named contract Giants ‘wish could disappear’

Dan Benton
                        Sun, February 14, 2021, 7:00 AM

When it comes to the New York Giants and bad contracts, it’s no secret that left tackle Nate Solder often leaps to the top of that list.

Everyone knew Solder was given a bad contract back in 2018, but the overriding belief was that the Giants and general manager Dave Gettleman had been backed into a corner. They needed to overpay because they simply couldn’t afford not to, but that reality has been forgotten.

The debate over that can rage another day. For now, the Giants are faced with a decision on Solder, but it’s a bit trickier following his opt-out due to COVID-19 concerns last season.

We here at Giants Wire recently listed Solder as a potential salary cap casualty, while Gary Davenport of Bleacher Report named Solder the one contract the Giants wish would disappear.
                        When the Giants signed Solder, he was supposed to become the foundation for an improved line in New York. Instead, the Giants got a turnstile. In 1,011 snaps for the Giants in 2019, Solder surrendered a whopping 11 sacks and may have been the worst blindside protector in the league. His second season in New York in 2020 was a wash, as Solder opted out due to safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

There has been some speculation that Solder could retire, but as Cole Claybourn reported for Sports Spectrum, Solder appeared to indicate that he’s leaning toward playing in 2021.

“I feel like I’m mentally and physically in a place where I am looking forward to, if I have the opportunity to play, I’ll probably take it if that’s what God has for me,” he said.

Given his 2021 cap number and performance level in 2019, the Giants couldn’t be blamed for hoping he reconsiders.

Solder will have a cap hit of $16.5 million in 2021 and $18 million in 2022. If released, the Giants would have to absorb a dead cap hit of $10.5 million, which wouldn’t be recommended for a team already in a bit of cap trouble.

The more likely scenario is that the Giants and Solder renegotiate his contract, saving the Giants some money over the next two seasons and allowing Solder to continue his career. However, that will likely come at right tackle with Andrew Thomas now the team’s starter at left tackle.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Be careful what you wish for..

Nate Solder named contract Giants ‘wish could disappear’

Dan Benton
                          Sun, February 14, 2021, 7:00 AM

When it comes to the New York Giants and bad contracts, it’s no secret that left tackle Nate Solder often leaps to the top of that list.

Everyone knew Solder was given a bad contract back in 2018, but the overriding belief was that the Giants and general manager Dave Gettleman had been backed into a corner. They needed to overpay because they simply couldn’t afford not to, but that reality has been forgotten.

The debate over that can rage another day. For now, the Giants are faced with a decision on Solder, but it’s a bit trickier following his opt-out due to COVID-19 concerns last season.

We here at Giants Wire recently listed Solder as a potential salary cap casualty, while Gary Davenport of Bleacher Report named Solder the one contract the Giants wish would disappear.
                          When the Giants signed Solder, he was supposed to become the foundation for an improved line in New York. Instead, the Giants got a turnstile. In 1,011 snaps for the Giants in 2019, Solder surrendered a whopping 11 sacks and may have been the worst blindside protector in the league. His second season in New York in 2020 was a wash, as Solder opted out due to safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

There has been some speculation that Solder could retire, but as Cole Claybourn reported for Sports Spectrum, Solder appeared to indicate that he’s leaning toward playing in 2021.

“I feel like I’m mentally and physically in a place where I am looking forward to, if I have the opportunity to play, I’ll probably take it if that’s what God has for me,” he said.

Given his 2021 cap number and performance level in 2019, the Giants couldn’t be blamed for hoping he reconsiders.

Solder will have a cap hit of $16.5 million in 2021 and $18 million in 2022. If released, the Giants would have to absorb a dead cap hit of $10.5 million, which wouldn’t be recommended for a team already in a bit of cap trouble.

The more likely scenario is that the Giants and Solder renegotiate his contract, saving the Giants some money over the next two seasons and allowing Solder to continue his career. However, that will likely come at right tackle with Andrew Thomas now the team’s starter at left tackle.
                          Thats why I keep saying I want more mid-range free agents. Casey Hayward signed for 16m for three years. Those are the kinds of guys I want the Chargers to target. I remember Godfrey, Goff and Foley. Dirtworker types. Not pro bowlers. Just good solid NFL players.

Thats why I am looking at Feiler, Austin Blythe, Good, Feliciano on the OL -
                          CBs like Darby or Troy Hill instead of Hayward and than drafting
                          Not sure about Watt - he might get paid because of the name

Chargers have the stars - they just need good role players

Comment

Working...
                          X