• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

In his mailbag Popper had some thoughts for how his offseason if he was running things:

1) he would trade the 13th pick for Orlando Brown Jr
    --- me: I am not giving up the 13th pick for Brown, just drafting OT but if you do trade for Brown, you better sign him to a long term deal before the deal is done
    Interesting idea. I was a big proponent of OBJ (not a popular stance at the time) coming out of college. But now, we would get him the year before his 2nd contract. Why not draft an OT in the 1st/2nd...? I was reading today (CBSsports) that people believe that the Ravens are a #1 WR away from a Super Bowl trip. I wonder if a OBJ/MW trade would work? Let OBJ try the LT in 2021 at current contract price. If he hacks it, sign him to long-term and cut Bulaga loose after 2021. If OBJ can't cut it @LT, sign him cheaper and move him back to RT.

2) he would give Hunter Henry like 4/50 range - Pop did mention NE as possibly going with a big offer to HH Man, that alot for a PFF grade of 69.3. Seems like 4/44 is more realistic.

3) he is only releasing Trai Turner, so keeping Harris, Hayward and Linval Joseph Turner = 34.8 pff Hayward = 59.5 Harris = 61.9 Joseph = 68.7 I'd keep Joseph and Harris.
    --- me: I did ask mention to him about Hayward and using that 10m of cap space on a younger player; he mentioned maybe he has his contract re-done

4) Popper is bringing back both MDavis and Jenkins but he that John Johnson or Jenkins need to be signed (one of the two) Jenkins = 68.9 Johnson = 85.6 Spotrac has a market value of $8.3 million on Johnson. $5-6 million may be Jenkins price...?

5) For OL - he has them signing Linsley if he's available and an OG like Warford. Plus bringing back Feeney, Lamp or Tevi to fill out the OL. HIs OL would be Brown, Feeney, Linsley, WArford and Bulaga Linsley is my #1 FA target. Linsley = 89.9 pff Spotrac has his market value set at $9.7 million. I think he'll get $11 million. I'm walking away from Tevi (52.9), Lamp (49.4), and Feeney (48.2) Quessenberry and Toner (although not great) are already on the roster at low prices for IOL depth.

6) Doesn't think Watt is realistic
    ---- me, Watt is only realistic if you move on from Linval Joseph and put JJ as an interior DT in the Staley scheme. So substituting one player for another on your cap Once you see how much HH, JR and others will cost to re-sign, JJ seems too costly. Joseph (68.7) and Justin Jones (70.6) are quality space eaters. Maybe the scheme change helps Tillery (43.9).

7) mentioned keeping Mike Williams on his 15.6
    See above. MW is expensive trade bait IMO. I'd love to get an early 3rd round pick for him. The best way to build is through the draft... less expensive.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      See above. MW is expensive trade bait IMO. I'd love to get an early 3rd round pick for him. The best way to build is through the draft... less expensive.
      Popper is a beat writer. Not a front office guy reading that. Can't keep everyone and sign all those guys.

And to note, I've said I'm not an advocate at all for PFF and Jenkins played out of possition. He is a better FS than he was a replacement for Derwin.

We can't sign both. Either Johnson or Jenkins should be signed, draft another like Nasirildeen or Deablo.
      Or if they want both, we won't be bringing back all our OL. Shouldn't anyways.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I actually liked Jenkins from tape but not JJ III...and definitely remember that you liked JJ III.

Scheme fit is gonna be a factor.
        You get to put Taylor Rapp (67.5) as a feather in your cap... when I wasn't convinced.
        Darnell Savage (75.3) was one I got... Johnathan Abram (35.9)... not so much...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

You get to put Taylor Rapp (67.5) as a feather in your cap... when I wasn't convinced.
          Darnell Savage (75.3) was one I got... Johnathan Abram (35.9)... not so much...
          See, I read Nutty Blog Posts.
          For years and years.
          Sometimes I laugh.
          Sometimes I cry.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

June 1 cuts can happen in March but the player is classified in June. But I do think there will be players happy to take a one year deal for say $4m and hope the cap goes up in 2022 and get paid more money.

My thing with Hayward is his game started to decline last year. Now maybe Linval Joseph on the DL can hang at 32; but I am not sure Casey Hayward at 32 can hang with the KC, RAider and Bronco wide outs. Kind of like RB - there is a point where the decline at certain positions is more noticeable
            Hayward’s game started to decline 2 yrs ago. Joseph also seemed to have a lot of off snaps in the DL rotation but maybe i have a wrong impression on that. His teeth are getting long, he was ok good but no big deal. A younger Joseph v2 is not a bad idea.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Popper is a beat writer. Not a front office guy reading that. Can't keep everyone and sign all those guys.

And to note, I've said I'm not an advocate at all for PFF and Jenkins played out of possition. He is a better FS than he was a replacement for Derwin.

We can't sign both. Either Johnson or Jenkins should be signed, draft another like Nasirildeen or Deablo.
              Or if they want both, we won't be bringing back all our OL. Shouldn't anyways.
              I agree, we have a lot less cap space than people think. I'd rather get MW off the books (preferably a trade for cheaper draft pick)

I agree, RJ would make a better FS in Staley's scheme... much better than Adderly (who fits Gus' scheme better). But the truth remains... DJ is injury prone. Have a safety (experienced preferred) that can take DJ's place when he gets hurt. Jenkins is a starting FS that could (has) taken over that role.

I'm not advocating signing both. Like I said, $8.3 million leaves little money for anything else. I prefer the cheaper RJ over the more expensive JJ3..

We can't bring back that "Towering Inferno" of an OL. That's where I'm spending my FA $$$.

PFF is a mixed bag. Most of the evals/grades I agree with. I use it as an objective, outsider's view. Which of the above players' grades do you disagree with...?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I agree, we have a lot less cap space than people think. I'd rather get MW off the books (preferably a trade for cheaper draft pick)

I agree, RJ would make a better FS in Staley's scheme... much better than Adderly (who fits Gus' scheme better). But the truth remains... DJ is injury prone. Have a safety (experienced preferred) that can take DJ's place when he gets hurt. Jenkins is a starting FS that could (has) taken over that role.

I'm not advocating signing both. Like I said, $8.3 million leaves little money for anything else. I prefer the cheaper RJ over the more expensive JJ3..

We can't bring back that "Towering Inferno" of an OL. That's where I'm spending my FA $$$.

PFF is a mixed bag. Most of the evals/grades I agree with. I use it as an objective, outsider's view. Which of the above players' grades do you disagree with...?
                Im just debating Jenkins grade being much lower than Johnsons while Jenkins wasn't playing his preferred position so I wouldn't be deterred from signing him over Johnson. It's a matter of Staley's preference. Maybe he not sign either.

PFF is mostly garbage imo. But since you like them so much, why do you keep using the TDN draft site when PFF has a top 300 rankings? You will be surprised and it's much different than TDN.

You saw my Sim mock using their simulator and I said they had Tufele a 4th rounder. Stokes is ranked 74, Najee at #67.
                You agree with those evals? Maybe they will be right.

Looks like today they did some updates, Najee was lower than that. Humphrey went from 71 to 69. Edge Payton Turner is 57. I haven't even watched him so don't know. CB Tay Gowan is 51. Another I havent watched. Eskridge the WR Wood likes is 192. Tufele went from 122 to 125.

​​​​​We have cap space and we will get more by letting Turner go, restructuring MW and whoever else they may release like Hayward,... Maybe even Jackson.

He is too injury prone. It's only 920k but that's almost a mil in savings.
                Then you have the possibility of the cap being 10 mil higher because of the TV deal.
                ​​​​​
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-17-2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im just debating Jenkins grade being much lower than Johnsons while Jenkins wasn't playing his preferred position so I wouldn't be deterred from signing him over Johnson. It's a matter of Staley's preference. Maybe he not sign either.

PFF is mostly garbage imo. But since you like them so much, why do you keep using TDN site when PFF has a top 300 rankings. You will be surprised and it's much different than TDN.

You saw my Sim mock using their simulator and I said they had Tufele a 4th rounder. Stokes is ranked 74, Najee at #67.
                  You agree with those evals? Maybe they will be right.

Looks like today they did some updates, Najee was lower than that. Humphrey went from 71 to 69. Edge Payton Turner is 57. I haven't even watched him so don't know. CB Tay Gowan is 51. Another I havent watched.

We have cap space and we will get more by letting Turner go, restructuring MW and whoever else they may release like Hayward,... Maybe even Jackson.

He is too injury prone. It's only 920k but that's almost a mil in savings.
                  Then you have the possibility of the cap being 10 mil higher because of the TV deal.
                  ​​​​​
                  Like minded
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

What a bunch of noise and misinformation.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Chris Collinsworth Podcast with Richard Sherman and guest Brandon Staley.

Highest recommendation.
                      Top tier content.
                      ​​​​​​I learned a great deal in 45 minutes.
                      Easy to find.
                      Google it.

It will be VERY surprising if LAC do NOT sign JJ III as #1 off season priority.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

How to beat KC.
                        --Pressure from Front Four.
                        --Bringing four only.
                        --Athletic LBs on Kelce, RBs.
                        --Lock down CBs not a requirement.
                        --Must wrap up, tackle well.
                        --Avoid YAC.
                        --Minimize Mahomes "leaky yardage."
                        --Pass Rush must contain.
                        --DBs stay "connected" in coverage.

woodMock v3, UFAs will be different fo sho.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

You better have LBs who can run.

Says Brandon Staley and Richard Sherman.

Comment

Working...
                          X