• Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Popper’s observations today. Defense was dominant. Nice to see Slater progressing along:
      https://theathletic.com/2765652/2021...-the-red-zone/

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their 12th training camp practice Wednesday morning at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex.

Here are my observations.

Red zone defense finding groove
      The Chargers were back in pads for the first time since Sunday’s scrimmage. They went through a more extended practice that included one-on-one drills and four periods of 11-on-11. Both starting units got plenty of work inside the red zone, and the defense is showing encouraging synergy and aptitude in that area of the field against an elite and imposing stable of offensive skill players.

During the designated red zone 11-on-11 period, Justin Herbert and the first-team offense failed to score in six reps, including three inside the 15-yard line. Herbert attempted two passes into the flat in the first set of downs, and both times the defense had the routes covered. First, Kyzir Whitesmothered Austin Ekeler on a flat route off play action. Then, edge rusher Uchenna Nwosudropped into coverage and swarmed tight end Stephen Anderson on a catch near the right sideline.

Later, edge rusher Joey Bosa kept solid contain on a Herbert keeper to the left edge. Bosa forced Herbert to take a wide angle on his run, which allowed cornerback Michael Davis to move into position for the tackle. On the next play, edge rusher Chris Rumph got home for a sack on third-and-goal.

The Chargers closed practice with a two-minute drill. The situation: end of half, 2:04 on the clock, tie game, each side with one timeout, drive starting from the minus-36-yard line. Herbert and backup Chase Daniel both threw interceptions in their respective drives — Davis had the first one and cornerback John Brannonhad the second on a tipped ball, his third pick of camp so far — before Herbert got another chance. He drove the offense down the field, completing passes to fullback Gabe Nabers, wide receiver Josh Palmer, Anderson, wide receiver Keenan Allen and running back Josh Kelley.

Facing a first-and-goal from the 5, Herbert handed off to Kelley up the middle. He nearly scored, but several defenders ganged up on the goal line to keep the powerful back out of the end zone. The offense then took its timeout with 13.5 seconds remaining. On second-and-goal, Herbert fired a quick screen to wide receiver Jalen Guyton, but he was dropped for no gain. The defense collectively showed great anticipation and recognition on this play. Guyton was in bounds, so the clock kept running, and the offense had to sprint to the line to spike the ball on third down. They succeeded, stopping the clock with 2.0 seconds remaining. Michael Badgley then drilled a 19-yard field goal.

“We’re tight in the red zone,” Davis said earlier this week. “I’ll leave it at that.”

Overall, the Chargers first-team defense has allowed nine touchdowns in 52 red zone reps in training camp so far. There have been ups and down, for sure. In the scrimmage, the offense successfully scored touchdowns on both of their trips into the red zone. Herbert hit wide receiver Mike Williams on one and Allen on another. But later in the scrimmage, the Chargers went through a designed red zone period, and the first-team defense held the first-team offense to a field goal. Nwosu had a tackle for loss on first down. Safety Nasir Adderley locked down tight end Donald Parham on second down. And Jerry Tillery had a sack on third down.

The Chargers ranked 23rd in the NFL in goal-to-go defense last year, allowing touchdowns over 80 percent of the time. Expect improvement in that area this season.

Offensive line vs. pass rushers
      The offensive linemen faced off against the defensive linemen and edge rushers in one-on-one drills. Three players stood out: defensive lineman Justin Jones, left guard Matt Feiler and defensive lineman Cortez Broughton.

At 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, Feiler is an enormous presence at guard. He certainly has tackle size and played some good football at right tackle with the Steelers before shifting inside last season. He had two impressive reps against Jones and Broughton on the interior, stone-walling both of them with a sturdy base and strong hands.

That was the only rep of the period Jones did not win. His short-area quickness and agility in one-on-one pass-rushing situations is jumping out. He fooled center Scott Quessenberry with a shifty inside move on his first rep. He pulled off a similarly quick move against Oday Aboushi. Jones is a very talented player, both as a rusher and run defender. I have been waiting for his breakout season since 2019. We might see it this year.

“We’re going to get a lot of one-on-ones this year, so I’ll be able to showcase a lot of my abilities there,” Jones said earlier in camp. “The past couple of years, I’ve been playing a lot of double-teams. This year, I get to showcase my one-on-one capabilities. Being able to showcase what I can do in that isolation situation will be good for me.”

Broughton, meanwhile, won both of his reps. He beat Quessenberry with a spin move on his first rep. I thought it was the best move from any pass rusher in the period. Then he got past Feiler toward the end of the period with a commendable second effort after Feiler stopped Broughton’s initial burst.

Rookie Rashawn Slater continued to perform, as well. He showed off his strength and body positioning against Kyler Fackrell, then later locked down Nwosu with a dominant rep. He weathered Nwosu’s initial burst. Nwosu attempted a second-effort spin, but Slater moved his feet to close it off. Slater’s smooth movement has been noteworthy. He also went up against Bosa twice. He won the first rep. On the second, Bosa came off the line with a speed move and cut to the inside. Slater was fooled and had to commit a hold against Bosa to stop his momentum.

Kicking competition update
      The kicking battle has really turned into a two-man competition between Badgley and Tristan Vizcaino. They both kicked Wednesday. Badgley’s inconsistencies showed up again. He went 3-for-5, missing from 33 and 50 yards and making from 38, 42 and 46 yards. Vizcaino went 5-for-5 from the same distances.

“It really comes down to accuracy,” special teams coordinator Darius Swinton said of the competition. “At the end of the day, if it’s quarterbacks, it’s about completing passes. If it’s about kickers, it’s about making kicks. If it’s about fullbacks, it’s about making blocks. It’s a production-based business. That’s what I tell these guys. It really is about who has the higher production. Then, we work from there, numbers-wise, on distances and what you need to work on, because you’re not going to be perfect, but you really want the guy that, all around, gives you consistency in all areas.”

Said Badgley: “It’s a healthy competition. It is what it is.”

News and notes
      • Palmer returned to practice after missing Tuesday for personal reasons.

• CB Brandon Facyson remains away from the team as he deals with a family matter.

• LB Kenneth Murray (ankle), CB Ryan Smith (core muscle) and S Mark Webb (hamstring) did not practice. Murray had his right ankle taped up.

• Williams did not participate in team drills after taking part in the one-on-one period. We will get an update on this Thursday from coach Brandon Staley.

Rookie Larry Rountree III is the bruiser in the running back room. He has delivered some big shots on runs so far in camp and is certainly not afraid of contact. Rountree’s physicality has flashed, including in Wednesday’s practice when he bounced a pitch out to the left and finished the run with a thud.

• Safety Derwin James looks like is ready to hit somebody not on his own team — though I would be shocked if he plays in Saturday’s preseason opener against the Rams at SoFi Stadium.

• Quarterback Easton Stick had a rough day with two ugly throws on six attempts in 11-on-11, including one that should have been picked off.

• Staley was getting after players during special teams drills, demanding more effort. Staley has been heavily involved in all the special teams periods, an indication of his desire to impact all three phases of the team.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        On second-and-goal, Herbert fired a quick screen to wide receiver Jalen Guyton, but he was dropped for no gain.
        Well, on the bright side, at least it was GUYTON that got dropped, and not the rock...

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

HERBERT TAKES HITS

Chargers defenders struggled with not touching quarterback Justin Herbert at Wednesday’s practice. Herbert had his left foot stepped on after edge rushers Chris Rumph II and Kyler Fackrell entered the backfield during team drills.

Later in practice, defensive tackle Jerry Tillery ran into Herbert and caused him to fall on his back during two-minute drills. Herbert appeared angry at Tillery’s mistake, but he was fine to finish the drill.

Last week, defensive end Joey Bosa hit the ball out of Herbert’s hand. Defenders aren’t allowed to touch quarterbacks during practice.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/08/1...s-frustrations
          Wtf is this shit are they trying to injure Herbert before season starts itself? None of these pussies managed to lay a finger on the opposing team QBs all last season and now they want to try and hurt the guy in the red jersey?

Disappointing that Staley didn’t have these idiots, including Bosa, running till they threw up. At the minimum they ought to at least fine these guys.

Shocking that a vet like Bosa would do such a thing where Herbert could’ve possibly fractured or broken a finger.
          Last edited by UglyTruth; 08-11-2021, 11:33 PM.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

The kicking battle has really turned into a two-man competition between Badgley and Tristan Vizcaino. They both kicked Wednesday. Badgley's inconsistencies showed up again. He went 3-for-5, missing from 33 and 50 yards and making from 38, 42 and 46 yards. Vizcaino went 5-for-5 from the same distances.
            Looks like Vizzie has the edge at this point...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
              Wtf is this shit are they trying to injure Herbert before season starts itself? None of these pussies managed to lay a finger on the opposing team QBs all season and now they want to try and hurt the guy in the red jersey?

Disappointing that Staley didn’t have these idiots, including Bosa, running till they threw up. At the minimum they ought to at least fine these guys.

Shocking that a vet like Bosa would do such a thing where Herbert could’ve possibly fractured or broken a finger.
              Yep...to quote AB, "don't touch me...I'm the franchise!"

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Quarterback Easton Stick had a rough day with two ugly throws on six attempts in 11-on-11, including one that should have been picked off.
                Yep, looks like Stick is doing his best to audition for a spot on the poachable PS...should be very safe there...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Looks like Aboushi needs to step up his game:

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep, looks like Stick is doing his best to audition for a spot on the poachable PS...should be very safe there...
                    Still crazy to think Telesco wasted a pick on him. A guy that I didn’t even think would get picked up in UDFA and probably would have to play in CFL or XFL or whatever else.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                      Wtf is this shit are they trying to injure Herbert before season starts itself? None of these pussies managed to lay a finger on the opposing team QBs all season and now they want to try and hurt the guy in the red jersey?

As optimistic and excited I am about Staley, I have to remain objective, this is strike one in my book. Handle your guys coach, especially your rooks
                      I overlooked, like the first 10 strikes with Anthony Lynn so I'll cut BS a brake, but this better not be a pattern.
                      and kudos to Herbert for showing some anger, the kid is growing up fast.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Looks like Aboushi needs to step up his game:

My dude Jaimes lickin his chops!
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Qberry isn’t looking good. Two different backups beat him for sacks.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X