• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
    My goodness.. That was impressive!! How much size is he giving up to Linval?

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Popper’s observations on a shorter practice session. Nice to see Kyzir White step up in Murray’s absence.
      Wide receiver Jason Moore, after a strong scrimmage Sunday, continues to come on strong and make a push for the Chargers' 53-man roster.

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their 11th training camp practice Tuesday morning at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex.

It was tied for the Chargers’ shortest practice of camp so far, lasting 75 minutes with only one period of 11-on-11 drills. The players were not in pads. The Chargers had a scrimmage-paced padded practice Sunday at SoFi Stadium. Even with the players off Monday, Brandon Staley opted to ease his team back in. Just another indication of how much the Chargers’ new head coach is prioritizing player health.

With limited on-field action, I will not have an extensive report for you today.

Let’s jump right into the news and notes.

• Center Corey Linsley was back at practice and participated in 11-on-11 drills. He suffered a foot injury Sunday and left midway through the scrimmage, but it does not appear to be serious. A huge relief for the Chargers.

• LB Kenneth Murray, who tweaked his ankle Sunday, sat out of practice. Staley said Sunday that the team is just being careful with Murray, a starting inside linebacker. We will see if he returns Wednesday.

• Others who missed practice: CB Ryan Smith, WR Josh Palmer and CB Brandon Facyson. Smith is dealing with a core muscle injury. Both Palmer and Facyson were out for personal reasons. Facyson has not practiced since Friday. This was Palmer’s first missed practice of camp.

• The Chargers opened up team drills with third-down seven-on-seven. Justin Herbert’s best throw of his series came on a deep over to Jason Moore near the right sideline. Herbert weighted the ball beautifully, throwing over a leaping Alohi Gilman for a first-down completion. I have seen improved touch from Herbert so far in camp. He is learning when to throw with velocity and when to take some heat off to create windows. Moore, meanwhile, has come on over the past week. He caught three balls in Sunday’s scrimmage and is pushing for a 53-man roster spot.

• Backup quarterback Chase Daniel matched Herbert in his seven-on-seven series with a gorgeous touch throw of his own. He hit tight end Stephen Anderson on a deep out route.

• The offense worked mostly on the running game during 11-on-11. Herbert only attempted five passes in 12 reps. Linebacker Kyzir Whiteand defensive lineman Justin Jones both had tackles for loss against the first-team offense. With Murray out, White was playing inside linebacker with the first-team defense. He has been rotating in with the first team in recent practices, but he was in a full-time role Tuesday. White has made the most splash plays of any defensive player so far in camp. “I call him the bully,” defensive coordinator Renaldo Hill said of White, “because regardless of who he is going against, he is really imposing on them. Size doesn’t matter, it’s about attitude, and he has the attitude.”

Asante Samuel Jr. was matched up on Keenan Allen for three targets. Allen beat the rookie once in third-down seven-on-seven and again in 11-on-11 on an out route. But Samuel came back in red zone seven-on-seven with a pass breakup on a third down. These positive responses after negative plays are key for a rookie corner.

• Chris Harris Jr. had a pass breakup while in coverage on Allen in 11-on-11. These two battled for six seasons when Harris was still with the Broncos. Their matchups in training camp are always fun.

• K.J. Hill caught two passes in team drills, including an outstanding catch on a crosser near the right sideline on a throw from Daniel. Hill is a polished route runner and has shown off impressive hands and body control this camp. The wide receiver battle is the most heated of any position on the roster. Johnson, Jalen Guyton, Palmer, Hill and Moore are all making plays. Former fifth-round pick Joe Reed has dropped behind those four.

• Allen got the last laugh in red zone seven-on-seven drills, which was the final period of practice. He ran a post on a third-and-goal, and Herbert fired a dime that split safeties Nasir Adderley and Derwin James. It looked like linebacker Drue Tranquill was slightly shallow in his drop, and that is what created the slight opening. A phenomenal throw from Herbert.

Kemon Hall had a clutch pass breakup in red zone seven-on-seven. Hill slipped past him in the corner of the end zone, but Hall leapt and knocked Daniel’s pass away.

• Edge rusher Jessie Lemonier batted down an Easton Stick pass at the line of scrimmage during 11-on-11 drills.

• Herbert connected with Mike Williams for first-down yardage on a third-and-7 in 11-on-11. It was Herbert’s final rep of the period. The offensive line did a fine job of picking up a blitz, and Herbert found Williams near the right sideline.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

KJ Sighting!!!
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Joe Reed looks like the 9th wr. I’m not sure that even gets him a spot on the ps. He’s just completely fallen off a cliff.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Jus looking at our WRs, and Jason Moore has some decent size and athletic skills.

D5zVJaYW4AAsce4.png
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

FYI. I saw yesterday on NFL network that LAC will be one of the teams they will feature live today.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                Jus looking at our WRs, and Jason Moore has some decent size and athletic skills.

D5zVJaYW4AAsce4.png
                I remember Moore from my UDFA notes: "TD machine" at Findlay. I thought he might show up.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

woodeye Scouting Bureau did not scout Findlay
                  because of COVID.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Got a quote from one of our top guys on D which should give all Chargers fans hope. This was said a few days ago in regards to the state of our team.

We trust the preparation!
                    -Derwin James

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      woodeye Scouting Bureau did not scout Findlay
                      because of COVID.
                      Excuses...:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post
                        FYI. I saw yesterday on NFL network that LAC will be one of the teams they will feature live today.
                        It was a nice spread.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X