• Show
Clear All
  • FarAwayBoltFan
    San Diego Native
    • Feb 2019
    • Farmington, NM
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    Next, you'll be suggesting we skip the season altogether. That's the spirit!
    Or, maybe we could skip just the regular season and go directly to the playoffs! Start up this Saturday with the top 16 or so teams on NFL.com's power rankings and have at it. That would put the Super bowl in... what, late September? (I was in a sarcasm mood )

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Im conflicted. I truly believe you need the #1's to get at least 1 quarter under their belts. There's being cautious and there is a being a little over protective. Yes we've been bitten. The law of averages has to play into our favor once right? :shock::shock::shock: I am nervous as well. ESPECIALLY for DJ. God he has looked beastly in camp. And you know they aren't showing shit this D is going to be interesting.

For me, I would like to see 1 half of football for the starters. 1 quarter of the last 2 preseason games. Not getting 1 live rep until game 1 isn't the best plan IMO.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Probably posted already. lol Im Kauaian now. So expect a really slow Fleet.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Comment

• Scott Green
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Roo: How many NFL players have missed playing time due to meteor injuries?

And how many have missed playing time by getting hurt in the pre-season?

You can seriously equate these risks?!?!?.
              My career was ended by a meteor strike so could we show a little sensitivity to those that have lost so much to the curse of space debris hitting the earth?

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

I can’t remember many Chargers suffering significant injury in preseason in recent years. I may be wrong on this but usually our injuries before the season came during training camp.

Even Philip Rivers was out there playing in the first and second games of preseason from 07 till at least ‘15 or so.

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

If a meteor falls on them it's gonna have a bad effect too. Let's put them in the shelter.

New offense, new defense, new coaches, a QB with only 15 games of experience, a new OL - come on, those are very good reasons to play them.

This defense of a bad decision reminds me of how you all defended McCoy when he was our new HC. I've been as impressed with what Staley has done so far as the rest of you but I'm not so impressed that I think he's perfect.

I just think not playing them at all is going overboard.
                  People always do this shit and it’s so fucking annoying. It happened with Lynn too.

The funny thing is that when these defenders finally realize how wrong they were, they become even bigger bashers than the original critics. It’s almost as if their trying to make up for the lost time when they were defending them to death.

Staley has a good chance to be a good coach and not saying he’s doomed because of this decision. But it is a bad decision (in the opinion of some including myself) for the reasons mentioned above. It’s nothing more than an opinion.

But this whole “Oh if he’s the HC then he will ALWAYS know better than some idiot fans on a forum” philosophy needs to stop. My dog could do a better job than some of the coaches the Chargers have had lately so please folks don’t bring that shit here. Coaches aren’t always right even if they are paid millions to do their best.

Tom Telesco already has people like this who stan him like a god. There are fans on Chargers reddit who have got tattoos of Telesco on their arms. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few here do as well.

- 69-74 record
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

By the way, this defense of “Look at how good Herbert played last season even without having played in preseason” is weird.

For those that have ^ this defense, have you thought about maybe how much better he would’ve played if he had preseason reps and more opportunities to learn the playbook? He played fantastic last season for sure but perhaps he would’ve maybe played at an elite level with the added reps.

It’s a weird defense because it’s like saying “let’s just cut all our new O linemen and bring back the garbage O line from last season since Herbert had a fine year behind them”. See how ridiculous that sounds.
                    Last edited by UglyTruth; 08-14-2021, 02:30 AM.

- 69-74 record

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Relative to season length, the NBA preseason is 37 NFL minutes long, MLB spring training is 2.4 games long, NHL pre season is 1.37 NFL games.

Each of those leagues primarily used pre season for roster depth evaluation.

The NFL was by far the outlier is pre season length and expectations. And it is the most brutal of sports.

Just because something is different doesn't make it bad (or good). Judging things that havent yet occured (and judging people for their reactions to events which havent occured) is silly.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Different topic: Mike Williams not getting extension

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I look for our HC to make good decisions and I don't think this is a good decision. That leaves room for me to be warry of what other decisions he'll be making. I hope this will be the only thing I disagree with him on for the entire decision but I don't think sitting our best players for the pre-season is a good idea.

I fear when the season starts our team will not be in sync and our early season games are against some very good teams.
                          Whether or not you disagree with the head coach is not a solid foundation on whether the coaches actions and decisions are correct or not.

The joint practices with the 49ers will provide for more game situational reps and does a lot more to prepare a team for the regular season than a few series on pre-season.

Comment

Working...
                          X