• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I was really impressed with Brannon...not only that pick, but the dude can tackle...wraps up well...
    Just in general we saw solid tackling all night. Wondered if they changed out the water at the training facility or something, since they really don’t even do tackling in TC anymore. But they tackled like a different team than the LAC of Lynn.

Palmer was a grown ass man
    Roundtree was really exciting - i want to see him in the first half next week
    Brannon shined and as noted above wasnt alone
    Kyzir and Drue - what a difference. Dual Demons
    Not sure if it was just bad Ram scrub OL, but DL was beating blocks regularly
    Stick much better than I expected. Chase still solid 2 imo

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Mandatory cut to 85 on Tuesday.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I'd rather go with Stick over Daniel, it they decide to go with just two QBs. I don't know if either can win games for the Chargers if for some reason Herbert can't go. They both looked about the same to me yesterday. Daniel is going to be 35 in a few months; Stick is going be 26 next month. Daniel has been in the league since 2010 and hardly has any game experience. He's thrown 261 passes in 11 seasons, with 8 TDs and 7 INTs. I don't understand why people believe he is such a good acquisition for Herbert. Though he has started a few games in in his 11 seasons, mostly at the end of the season when everything's been decided, he's never been a starter in the league, he has always been a back up. If they had signed a veteran who has been a starter, I could understand that. But Daniel is not that guy. He has less actual game experience than Herbert.

Overlooked from the game yesterday is that Parham looked pretty good. He caught two passes and proved himself to be tough to tackle. He's going to take a step forward this season I think.

Vizcaino or Badgley? Vizcaino is bigger with a stronger leg. He hit his two FGs yesterday, but I don't know what that means really, if he is going to be any more accurate than Badgley.

What about Punter? The young dude challenging Ty Long is actually a year older than Long - Lachlan Edwards. Edwards did hit some long punts, he is tall (6-4) and lanky.

Christian Covington stood out to me on defense yesterday. He will be good depth.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I'd rather go with Stick over Daniel, it they decide to go with just two QBs. I don't know if either can win games for the Chargers if for some reason Herbert can't go. They both looked about the same to me yesterday. Daniel is going to be 35 in a few months; Stick is going be 26 next month. Daniel has been in the league since 2010 and hardly has any game experience. He's thrown 261 passes in 11 seasons, with 8 TDs and 7 INTs. I don't understand why people believe he is such a good acquisition for Herbert. Though he has started a few games in in his 11 seasons, mostly at the end of the season when everything's been decided, he's never been a starter in the league, he has always been a back up. If they had signed a veteran who has been a starter, I could understand that. But Daniel is not that guy. He has less actual game experience than Herbert.

Overlooked from the game yesterday is that Parham looked pretty good. He caught two passes and proved himself to be tough to tackle. He's going to take a step forward this season I think.

Vizcaino or Badgley? Vizcaino is bigger with a stronger leg. He hit his two FGs yesterday, but I don't know what that means really, if he is going to be any more accurate than Badgley.

What about Punter? The young dude challenging Ty Long is actually a year older than Long - Lachlan Edwards. Edwards did hit some long punts, he is tall (6-4) and lanky.

Christian Covington stood out to me on defense yesterday. He will be good depth.
          I think Daniel is only exciting to some of us as a comparison to last year’s #2. We’re not THAT excited about him. I have never seen last night’s Stick before. If he plays like that 2 more times … i may agree with you. Still not convinced he has an NFL arm but it looked a bit stronger last night.

Vizcaino is (s/b?) a lock imo. He kicks it 4 yards deep in the end zone, and his PKs were perfect

Punter is interesting Q - Long has a great leg but he doesn’t hit situational kicks well, he too often over kicks coverage with long but low(er) kicks giving returners 10+ yards of empty field in front of them. we see how dangerous that is, 1 of 3 or so breaks it for 30 yards. But he also adds PK emergency backup, if thats valued or not i don’t know.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Here are some of the things Popper noticed last night. A lot of good but also some inconsistencies especially on ST.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Daniel’s value isn’t in anything that he brings on the field, it is his experience in this league and with Lombardi’s system that makes him valuable. Daniel is pretty much a jr QB coach for Herbert. If Herbert goes down we are screwed either way, Daniel helps Herbert as he continues to develop. Stick can….. run fast? That’s the only advantage I see of him over Daniel.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                Daniel’s value isn’t in anything that he brings on the field, it is his experience in this league and with Lombardi’s system that makes him valuable. Daniel is pretty much a jr QB coach for Herbert. If Herbert goes down we are screwed either way, Daniel helps Herbert as he continues to develop. Stick can….. run fast? That’s the only advantage I see of him over Daniel.
                Stick throws on the run better than Daniel...and I didn't like how Daniel kept forcing the rock into coverage...lucky he didn't get picked...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Concur. To me, the apt comparison for Daniel is Billy Volek.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

I would agree with you on Daniel, if Daniel had experience as an actual player. But he's a career backup who has far less actual game experience than Herbert himself. So I don't really see the advantage that Daniel brings. I don't think Herbert needs help learning the system or preparing, he seems to have the mental part of the game down pat. He stepped right in to the starting role last year, and amazed his coaches with how much of the offense he already had absorbed, far more than is normal for most rookie QB. So I'd rather go with a QB who gives the team the best chance to win if Herbert is unavailable, and IMO that is Stick.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      Here are some of the things Popper noticed last night. A lot of good but also some inconsistencies especially on ST.
                      https://www.thepowderblues.com/forum...06#post1230006
                      Glaring coverage issues on punts.

Reassuring to see the Bolts' PKs getting touchbacks on kickoffs.

I like the arc of Vizcaino's placekicks. They were bullets, that could cut through some breeze, rather than wobblers that are more vulnerable to being blown off course.

No wonder Vizcaino was nailing kickoffs into the endzone.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Concur. To me, the apt comparison for Daniel is Billy Volek.
                        Volek was a good back up, I agree. But that is because he had experience as a starter, which Daniel does not. Volek had far more playing time by Daniel's age now than Daniel will ever have. Volek's career TD to INT ratio is 27-15. Daniel's is 8-7.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Glaring coverage issues on punts.

Reassuring to see the Bolts' PKs getting touchbacks on kickoffs.

I like the arc of Vizcaino's placekicks. They were bullets, that could cut through some breeze, rather than wobblers that are more vulnerable to being blown off course.

No wonder Vizcaino was nailing kickoffs into the endzone.
                          Yep...and Vizzy's kicks are pretty straight...unlike some of the horrible hooks or slices we've seen from Bags...

Comment

Working...
                          X