• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

RG maybe. Outside chance of LG if Bulaga goes down and Feiler has to move over to main that position.
    Wouldn't Jaimes figure to slide into Oday Aboushi's guard spot next year? Aboushi is on a one year deal. Seems like an ideal situation for Jaimes to acclimate, and be ready to contribute a whole lot more in Year Two.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

He's put on some weight, probably all muscle.
      Looks like the Bolts plan to use Bellamy as a pass rusher...Ingram's old spot...

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Wouldn't Jaimes figure to slide into Oday Aboushi's guard spot next year? Aboushi is on a one year deal. Seems like an ideal situation for Jaimes to acclimate, and be ready to contribute a whole lot more in Year Two.
        That’s the ideal situation. But Oday was also paid backup money. So who knows. The original post did ask what position he would play if he was starting. And Oday is the only one that stands out right now for me.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Popper’s observations today on day 15.
          Chargers RB Joshua Kelley is becoming "trustworthy" in pass protection; rookie OL Brenden Jaimes is doing well in his transition to guard.

COSTA MESA, Calif. — The Chargers held their 15th training camp practice Tuesday afternoon at Jack R. Hammett Sports Complex.

They are off Wednesday before returning to Hammett on Thursday for the first of two joint practices with the 49ers. Those are the final two practices of camp.

Here are my observations.

Justin Herbert dealing
          Quarterback Justin Herbert had one of his best practices of camp. His ball placement was particularly impressive, and he was regularly throwing receivers, tight ends and backs open. He finished practice 14-for-21 passing.

In seven-on-seven, Herbert hit Tyron Johnsonwith a third-down crossing route over the middle, beating the tight and physical coverage of rookie corner Asante Samuel Jr. He beat Samuel again in the first period of 11-on-11, delivering a perfect ball to Keenan Allen on an out route near the right sideline. Two plays later, he connected with Allen for a second time on the longest offensive play of the day. Allen was open, but Herbert put the ball in a spot that allowed Allen to run after the catch, and he split the two safeties with a burst of acceleration after making the grab.

In the next period, Herbert converted a third-and-short by finding Jalen Guyton in the middle of the field. Linebacker Kenneth Murray had dropped into coverage to defend against crossing routes. Herbert fired the pass with enough height and pace to clear Murray’s head, but enough touch to fit it into the intermediate window. This was a dime.

Later, Herbert found Allen again on a third down. Chris Harris Jr. was in great position in coverage. Herbert, though, read the leverage and threw the pass to Allen’s opposite shoulder, preventing Harris from making a play on the ball. On the next snap, Herbert completed an out route to Jared Cook near the right sideline, beating linebacker Kyzir White with a fastball on the outside corner.

I did not see a mistake from Herbert all practice. Of his seven incompletions, one was a drop by running back Austin Ekeler, another was a fine throw to the right sideline that would have been completed if receiver K.J. Hill had not stopped his route, and a third was a broken screen play.

Joshua Kelley doing dirty work
          Running backs earn national acclaim and recognition for their counting stats — yards, touchdowns, catches. But one essential responsibility for the position that occasionally gets overlooked is pass protection. Being proficient in that area is how running backs, especially young backs, earn the trust of the coaching staff and, then, playing time.

Second-year running back Joshua Kelley is showing improvement in that area. On a first down in 11-on-11, Murray came charging off the edge on a blitz. Herbert was in shotgun, and Kelley was lined up to the quarterback’s left. This looked like an easy sack for Murray, who was unblocked and sprinting with a full head of steam. Kelley, though, stood him up. There was a massive collision. Kelley kept Herbert clean. The offensive players and coaches exploded in celebration as soon as Kelley met Murray. And Herbert, with time to throw, completed a shot to Allen down the middle of the field.

“I didn’t see it, but I heard it. Those pads were popping,” offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said of Kelley’s blitz pickup. “He’s another guy that comes to work every day, studies the game, and aims to get better. You can certainly see that he’s a trustworthy component when it comes to pass protection.”

‘Arrow is definitely pointing up’ for Brenden Jaimes
          Rookie offensive lineman Brenden Jaimes is starting to find his stride on the interior at guard. He had a solid game in the preseason opener and is now a fixture on the second team at guard. And with multiple tackles missing practice Monday and Tuesday, Jaimes has been working in at left tackle, as well, with the second team.

“He’s another guy that is a really good athlete and a smart player and a hard-working player,” Lombardi said of Jaimes. “I think his arrow is really going up. There’s certainly — like any rookie, especially at that position — things that he could get better at. And that’s such an experienced position, it’s such a cerebral position. It’s offensive line, you think it’s just banging your head. But there’s so much to it as far as how I’m setting, how I’m setting against different techniques, against different players. And so I just see a guy that’s going to be a really solid offensive lineman for a number of years.”

Jaimes, a fifth-round pick in the spring, was a tackle at Nebraska. He set the school record for consecutive starts with 40. He had not played guard in a game since high school, so moving inside has been a bit of a transition for him. But it appears as though his game is starting to click at this new position. Jaimes played both guard spots in the win over the Rams.

“The speed is a little bit different. Things happen a little bit faster at guard,” Lombardi said. “You’re working with people a little bit more in the run game. And so there is a learning curve. But some guys, they’re kind of natural at it, and it’s not completely foreign, obviously, playing offensive line his whole life. He’s just one of those guys that has been getting better every day, and you just see so much more potential. That arrow is definitely pointing up with him.”

News and notes
          • Chargers who did not practice: OT Rashawn Slater (lower back), WR Mike Williams (hip flexor), RB Justin Jackson (groin), CB Ryan Smith (core muscle), LS Cole Mazza(shoulder), OT Trey Pipkins, WR Joe Reedand edge rusher Chris Rumph. Slater is expected to return to practice Thursday. Williams and Jackson are not expected to practice this week. Staley talks with the media again Thursday, so we will get updates then on the specific injuries for Pipkins, Reed and Rumph.

TE Donald Parham left practice after falling hard in seven-on-seven, the Chargers’ first team period of practice. Parham got a smooth release off the line in the slot and created separation against the smaller Harris with a stutter step. Herbert identified the one-on-one mismatch and lofted a deep ball to Parham near the left sideline. Parham leaped and initially secured the catch before falling hard on his back. The ball popped out as he fell to the ground. Parham was down for a couple minutes as trainers looked at him. He then got up and walked off under his own power. We will see if he is on the field Thursday.

• S Derwin James was great in coverage, particularly when covering Cook. James had two pass breakups when matched up with Cook, including one in the low red zone on a third-and-goal from the 4-yard line against Herbert.

Michael Badgley and Tristan Vizcaino both kicked field goals. Vizcaino went 5-for-5, hitting from 33, 41, 43, 47 and 52 yards. Badgley kicked from the same distances and went 4-for-5, missing from 43 yards. Newly signed Matt Overton was the long snapper for Vizcaino, who kicked first.

• DL Cortez Broughton, who missed a practice and the preseason opener last week because of a groin injury, had the play of the day defensively in the red zone. Easton Stick dropped back on a first-and-10 from the 15-yard line, and Broughton batted the pass into the air at the line of scrimmage. Broughton then located the ball and made an over-the-head catch for the interception.

• S Mark Webb had his third interception of camp, picking off Chase Daniel. Webb did well to keep both feet in bounds after WR Austin Proehl fell over on his out-breaking route.

• CB John Brannon also picked off Daniel. This one came in seven-on-seven. There appeared to be some sort of miscommunication, as no receiver was in the area on Daniel’s attempt to the right side. Brannon was in perfect position and hauled in the easy pick. Brannon leads all defensive players with four interceptions in camp. He also had a pick in Saturday’s preseason win over the Rams. “We talk about either missed opportunities or opportunities, and he’s making the best of them,” defensive coordinator Renaldo Hill said of Brannon. “Every ball, it seems like, that comes in his direction, he’s made a play on. So he’s doing that part of creating takeaways. … He’s really showing up.”

• CB KJ Sails had a pass breakup in seven-on-seven. CB Brandon Facyson had a pass breakup in 11-on-11. Both came in coverage against Tyron Johnson with Daniel at quarterback.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

The 37th pick in the 2019 Draft, Greg Little, was just traded for a Round 7.

Oversized Practice Squads are coming to town.

There ain't gonna be any Olinemen available.

With regard to depth, our best hope is for rapid development from Jaimes,
            and lots of snaps for Norton and Pipkins.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I wouldnt write off Oday...we may keep him, and Bulaga may not be long for this team...with Jaimes and Feiler covering LG and RT...in whatever order. I like some of the film I saw on Oday...he might be a pleasant surprise for us.
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                That’s the ideal situation. But Oday was also paid backup money. So who knows. The original post did ask what position he would play if he was starting. And Oday is the only one that stands out right now for me.
                If Jaimes didn't start, but was a swing G/T, first guy off the bench player, that in itself would be an enormously important role.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I don't know enough about Oday to think he is a one year rental only or why he was available and willing to take a one year, not big money deal. I did read he was one of the Lions' better OL last year, FWIW.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

I have very little faith in Bulaga staying healthy for very long. And it’s scary to think that when (not if) he goes down, Pipkins will need to be starter again.

If Jaimes can’t handle OT at the nfl level, then they need to find someone better to fill in for Bulaga when he gets hurt.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                      I have very little faith in Bulaga staying healthy for very long. And it’s scary to think that when (not if) he goes down, Pipkins will need to be starter again.

If Jaimes can’t handle OT at the nfl level, then they need to find someone better to fill in for Bulaga when he gets hurt.
                      Or Feiler moves outside and Jaimes steps in at guard, something they have been working very hard on.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

This surprises me.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Bulaga essentially had a year off to heal: 10 starts but seldom seemed to finish games.

I would guess he has one or two productive years left.

Comment

Working...
                          X