Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Justin Herbert: We need to get Mike Williams the ball more

Posted by Josh Alper on August 13, 2021, 3:31 PM EDT
    Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert won’t be playing in any preseason games this summer, but he knows what he wants to focus on when he’s dropping back to pass in Week 1 of the regular season.

Wide receiver Mike Williams finished third on the team with 85 targets in the passing game last season and Herbert said that he wants that number to go up in their second season playing together.

“We need to get him the ball more,” Herbert said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “He’s one of those guys that you just have to find out there. He’s going to get open. He’s so physical, fast and strong that he’s going to win — jump balls, deep balls and intermediate routes. I think we need to get him more involved in the short game and the quick game because he’s an incredible player.”

Williams turned those targets into 48 catches for 756 yards and five touchdowns last season. Pushing those numbers higher would serve Williams well as he’s set to play out the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

This is one of the most insane sentences I've read in a while
      hahaha
      Well done sir.
      May I recommend a name-change to "ugly paranoia"?
      Agree

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Next, you'll be suggesting we skip the season altogether. That's the spirit!
        No need to play starters in preseason. Now Slater can use a few reps because he is a rookie but even then, losing him to a exhibition game would be devastating again for the OL.

Derwin got hurt the last two TCs. Preseason is mostly for the backups and bubble players and the owners wallets.

Comment

• Scott Green
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, Sharp just confirms what we kind of already knew...Bolts were so inefficient on downs 1-2, it forced Herbie into 3rd and long...in other words, Lynn's "run the rock" philosophy was way too predictable in downs 1-2...I have a feeling Staley is smarter than this...

I don't think predictable was the problem. If you're running behind Tyree St Louis you're doomed to failure whether its a surprise or not.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No need to play starters in preseason. Now Slater can use a few reps because he is a rookie but even then, losing him to a exhibition game would be devastating again for the OL.

Derwin got hurt the last two TCs. Preseason is mostly for the backups and bubble players and the owners wallets.
            Losing Slater is probably our worst case scenario for this game.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Justin Herbert: We need to get Mike Williams the ball more

Posted by Josh Alper on August 13, 2021, 3:31 PM EDT
              Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert won’t be playing in any preseason games this summer, but he knows what he wants to focus on when he’s dropping back to pass in Week 1 of the regular season.

Wide receiver Mike Williams finished third on the team with 85 targets in the passing game last season and Herbert said that he wants that number to go up in their second season playing together.

“We need to get him the ball more,” Herbert said, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “He’s one of those guys that you just have to find out there. He’s going to get open. He’s so physical, fast and strong that he’s going to win — jump balls, deep balls and intermediate routes. I think we need to get him more involved in the short game and the quick game because he’s an incredible player.”

Williams turned those targets into 48 catches for 756 yards and five touchdowns last season. Pushing those numbers higher would serve Williams well as he’s set to play out the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.
              I think the only person stopping Mike Williams from getting the ball more is Mike Williams. Love to see him up his game, but that hasn’t ever happened…and why Palmer is here IMO. Herbert will love him, too.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Different topic: Mike Williams not getting extension

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchp...-williams/amp/
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Rumors can change quickly.

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Williams replacement was drafted in the third round this year. Hope Mike has a great final season in powder blue. His health will dictate his next contract.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

I think not re-signing Mike Williams is the right decision unless he’s ok with being paid the avg salary for #2 WRs.

He hasn’t improved his route running at all since entering the league and very rarely gets any separation. Every catch of his has to be a contested catch and analytics will show that it’s way too risky to throw the ball to a man like that often.

Palmer has supposedly impressed in training camp so that should translate. I know he had bad QBs at Tennessee so with Herbert he should look much better.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, Sharp just confirms what we kind of already knew...Bolts were so inefficient on downs 1-2, it forced Herbie into 3rd and long...in other words, Lynn's "run the rock" philosophy was way too predictable in downs 1-2...I have a feeling Staley is smarter than this...
                        That run the rock philosophy was the 2nd dumbest shit I’ve seen in football behind only the crap that Mike McCoy was doing here.

I hope Staley and Lombardi is smart enough to never have anything like this happen again

Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Nothing against Mike, but the best case scenario for the Chargers is that both he and Palmer show out this year...and then we show Mike the door next year, while gaining a very nice comp pick.

It's early, and injuries can happen...but I see us having one of the deepest(and talented) WR groups in the league if Johnson gets his health right, and Guyton solves the dropsies...seriously doubt MDub is back with us next year.
                          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X