Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
    I think not re-signing Mike Williams is the right decision unless he’s ok with being paid the avg salary for #2 WRs.

He hasn’t improved his route running at all since entering the league and very rarely gets any separation. Every catch of his has to be a contested catch and analytics will show that it’s way too risky to throw the ball to a man like that often.

Palmer has supposedly impressed in training camp so that should translate. I know he had bad QBs at Tennessee so with Herbert he should look much better.
    Another way to look at that is to praise him for coming down with those contested passes about 90% of the time.

Also, it's just not true that he's never open and all his catches are contended.

Take 5 minutes to look at this real of his catches from last year and you will see he can get open and he can make some great catches along the sidelines.

Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams’ full 2020 season highlights.#LosAngelesChargers#MikeWilliamsGo Bolts⚡️All credit to the NFL. No copyright i...

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Different topic: Mike Williams not getting extension

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchp...-williams/amp/
      Nonetheless, if Williams hits the market, he should have a ton of suitors, and with the Chargers having rumored interest in courting Davante Adams next offseason, this move has been on the walls for some time now.
      Im Weak Oh My GIF by Big Brother

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Another way to look at that is to praise him for coming down with those contested passes about 90% of the time.

Also, it's just not true that he's never open and all his catches are contended.

Take 5 minutes to look at this real of his catches from last year and you will see he can get open and he can make some great catches along the sidelines.

Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams’ full 2020 season highlights.#LosAngelesChargers#MikeWilliamsGo Bolts⚡️All credit to the NFL. No copyright i...
        I don’t dislike him, I just wouldn’t pay him #1 WR money. That’s all. Plus he gets injured a bunch even though thankfully he hasn’t missed many games because of it yet.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

I don’t dislike him, I just wouldn’t pay him #1 WR money. That’s all. Plus he gets injured a bunch even though thankfully he hasn’t missed many games because of it yet.
          Totally agree with you here.

Let's stop talking about Adams. He's not going to hit FA. GB will tag him. But there is a guy who will hit FA most likely, Alan Robinson. Robinson is a similar receiver to Williams but much better. I'd much rather have Robinson and I don't think their salaries will be incomparable. If the team is going to pay #1 receiver money why pay Williams when you can pay Robinson?

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Totally agree with you here.

Let's stop talking about Adams. He's not going to hit FA. GB will tag him. But there is a guy who will hit FA most likely, Alan Robinson. Robinson is a similar receiver to Williams but much better. I'd much rather have Robinson and I don't think their salaries will be incomparable. If the team is going to pay #1 receiver money why pay Williams when you can pay Robinson?
            We're already paying KA top dollar. I'm not so sure we can afford bank $$$ for another wideout. Let's see how well Palmer does this season...plus I like Johnson and Proehl is coming on...also like Guyton minus the drops...

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Ontario , Canada
              • Send PM

I think MW is a decent receiver but he has under performed for a #7 overall pick and I didn't like them taking a WR, a more boom and bust position anyway, that high to begin with.

A #7 shoudl be a league leader and he isn't even our top WR. He does have a decent avg though at 15.8. As mentioned , he is more a possession guy winning jump balls. But w Herbert , burners can flourish, just look at how well USFAs like Jaylen Guyton and Tyron Johnson did. Higher round picks like Josh Palmer should do even better.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

That video really does prove your point about MW’s underrated route running ability. He has improved upon it every year he has been in the league. The only issue with him now is availability. I am looking for him to take that next step, but that will greatly depend on his availability though.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                  I think MW is a decent receiver but he has under performed for a #7 overall pick and I didn't like them taking a WR, a more boom and bust position anyway, that high to begin with.

A #7 shoudl be a league leader and he isn't even our top WR. He does have a decent avg though at 15.8. As mentioned , he is more a possession guy winning jump balls. But w Herbert , burners can flourish, just look at how well USFAs like Jaylen Guyton and Tyron Johnson did. Higher round picks like Josh Palmer should do even better.
                  #7 has absolutely zero relevance to any discussion about any player in 2021 or 2022. It no longer matters what his pick number was. he didnt make the pick, he just answered the phone. I think folks are right that we have a number of good young receivers and its not wise, given that stable, to pay #2 $15M. Just numbers, he’s a good player. I expect he’s gone next year, and if I am TT, I definitely don’t negotiate an extension before the end of the season and i reassess where the team is at, what options are out there, etc.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I think not re-signing Mike Williams is the right decision unless he’s ok with being paid the avg salary for #2 WRs.

He hasn’t improved his route running at all since entering the league and very rarely gets any separation. Every catch of his has to be a contested catch and analytics will show that it’s way too risky to throw the ball to a man like that often.

Palmer has supposedly impressed in training camp so that should translate. I know he had bad QBs at Tennessee so with Herbert he should look much better.
                    Don't agree with this. You don't keep a guy and pay him 15 mil who doesn't do any of that,. but unless he balls out playing a different type of position in Lombardi's offense, they may think the money he will get isn't worth it. Keenan is our #1 WR.

Not sure Palmer is the guy but let's hope so. Or they have eyes for Devante Adams over paying MW.

We shall see.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Don't agree with this. You don't keep a guy and pay him 15 mil who doesn't do any of that,. but unless he balls out playing a different type of position in Lombardi's offense, they may think the money he will get isn't worth it. Keenan is our #1 WR.

Not sure Palmer is the guy but let's hope so. Or they have eyes for Devante Adams over paying MW.

We shall see.
                      The good thing is we have another year to decide, both on Williams to see if he can stay healthy/improve as well as to see if Palmer or any of the other young WR step up.

Comment

• Tol
                        From Accounting
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Carlsbad
                        • Send PM

The RB battle:
                        Jackson is good when he is on, but injuries and availability are a problem. Rountree and Bradwell averaged 6 and 7.9 YPC. Jackson and Kelley averaged 2.6 and 2.4. One preseason game does not decide all, but I know who my favorites are.

The TE battle:
                        Uh... I don't really know what we have in McKitty, but I also haven't seen Anderson in a while. Kampmoyer is growing on me, and Sokol is trending up, 2 catches for 19 yards.

The WR battle:
                        Moore might be the dark horse for the 6th WR spot. Caught 3 out of 3 for 31 yards. Hill had 2 targets - zero catches. Reed had 1 for 6 yds. I keep seeing Proehl's name in TC reports for good things.

QB side note:
                        Easton Stick threw 7 completions on 7 attempts.

DL side note:
                        I was looking forward to seeing Merrill get some playing time, and he did not disappoint.

The CB battle:
                        I want to keep them ALL!
                        The camp INT leader and now the preseason INT leader - John Brannon had 2 tackles, and a PD.
                        Kemon Hall 2-1 and 1 PD. Donte Vaughn 1-1 and 1 PD. Tevaughn Campbell 1-2.
                        A bunch of ball hawks and I don't know how to keep them all, but I want to.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
                          The RB battle:
                          Jackson is good when he is on, but injuries and availability are a problem. Rountree and Bradwell averaged 6 and 7.9 YPC. Jackson and Kelley averaged 2.6 and 2.4. One preseason game does not decide all, but I know who my favorites are.

The TE battle:
                          Uh... I don't really know what we have in McKitty, but I also haven't seen Anderson in a while. Kampmoyer is growing on me, and Sokol is trending up, 2 catches for 19 yards.

The WR battle:
                          Moore might be the dark horse for the 6th WR spot. Caught 3 out of 3 for 31 yards. Hill had 2 targets - zero catches. Reed had 1 for 6 yds. I keep seeing Proehl's name in TC reports for good things.

QB side note:
                          Easton Stick threw 7 completions on 7 attempts.

DL side note:
                          I was looking forward to seeing Merrill get some playing time, and he did not disappoint.

The CB battle:
                          I want to keep them ALL!
                          The camp INT leader and now the preseason INT leader - John Brannon had 2 tackles, and a PD.
                          Kemon Hall 2-1 and 1 PD. Donte Vaughn 1-1 and 1 PD. Tevaughn Campbell 1-2.
                          A bunch of ball hawks and I don't know how to keep them all, but I want to.
                          I was really impressed with Brannon...not only that pick, but the dude can tackle...wraps up well...

Comment

Working...
                          X