Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Sure, if we have injuries it will hurt, though we do have Moore stashed on the practice squad. But if we had kept TJ, cut Hill and stuck a punt returner back who can’t field a punt, the tune would be very different as well. Staley needs to build an entire team and Johnson doesn’t play on ST so he isn’t here any more.
    If Hill were an outstanding punt returner who was a threat to score every time he touched the ball, I could understand it. But Hill is not that and never will be. My puzzlement is over the fact that with a under-manned WR corps of just five, one of them a rookie, they didn't keep the five best WRs. Ty Johnson has better hands than Guyton, Josh Palmer has never played a down in the NFL, and Jason Moore isn't close to being as good as Johnson. There has to be another reason for letting Johnson go. Because from a talent perspective, letting him go weakens the offense.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Hill were an outstanding punt returner who was a threat to score every time he touched the ball, I could understand it. But Hill is not that and never will be. My puzzlement is over the fact that with a under-manned WR corps of just five, one of them a rookie, they didn't keep the five best WRs. Ty Johnson has better hands than Guyton, Josh Palmer has never played a down in the NFL, and Jason Moore isn't close to being as good as Johnson. There has to be another reason for letting Johnson go. Because from a talent perspective, letting him go weakens the offense.
      If you listen to Popper’s explanation of if, Johnson was only really competing with Guyton for the deep speed receiver spot and none of the other 4 receiver spots as they are looking for different things in the receivers, along with needing help at ST. I agree that Hill has not shown anything as far as big plays as a punt returner - but he literally sounds like the only one who can consistently field a punt.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If you listen to Popper’s explanation of if, Johnson was only really competing with Guyton for the deep speed receiver spot and none of the other 4 receiver spots as they are looking for different things in the receivers, along with needing help at ST. I agree that Hill has not shown anything as far as big plays as a punt returner - but he literally sounds like the only one who can consistently field a punt.
        your last point - kind of sad and thats on Telesco

But also why Hill had to make the roster. And since catching punts is part of "Special Teams" - I am good with it.

You see it last night - Special Teams are huge areas for teams. Tampa had a couple awesome punts inside the 10 (I know one was called back on penalty); missed FGs - these are areas the Chargers LOSE so often. And Special Teams - I am not sure how to quantify a points per play type metric - but for the amount of plays, when you botch one, it usually leads to points for the other team or none for your team.

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

your last point - kind of sad and thats on Telesco

But also why Hill had to make the roster. And since catching punts is part of "Special Teams" - I am good with it.

You see it last night - Special Teams are huge areas for teams. Tampa had a couple awesome punts inside the 10 (I know one was called back on penalty); missed FGs - these are areas the Chargers LOSE so often. And Special Teams - I am not sure how to quantify a points per play type metric - but for the amount of plays, when you botch one, it usually leads to points for the other team or none for your team.
          Good analysis, Knob.

Comment

• Rivers for backup QB :>)

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

It is kind of sad that the best we can hope for on a punt is for the returner to catch it. I was really counting on someone replacing Hill who seems to have none of the talents necessary to be a great/good punt returner. Although, yea, you have to catch it first.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                It is kind of sad that the best we can hope for on a punt is for the returner to catch it. I was really counting on someone replacing Hill who seems to have none of the talents necessary to be a great/good punt returner. Although, yea, you have to catch it first.

TG
                On the bright side, at least Hill is a slight improvement over Butterfingers Benji...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                  My bar is so low on Special Teams and the results I am hoping for.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Fumbles are bad mkay.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

On the bright side, at least Hill is a slight improvement over Butterfingers Benji...
                      Let's only re-visit past traumas when it's truly necessary. The wound will never heal if you keep picking at it.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Backward Benji, etc

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Bosa's concussions and indications of depression from last year are worrying.

Comment

Working...
                          X