• Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

cue the Aerosmith.....Me thinks Walker Little won't make it to pick 47 now
    If Slater is gone trade down in the first and take Little or AVT. 2 new O Line starters in free agency and 2 from the draft, thinking a 3rd or 4th rd guard could be a starter and likely better scenario than lamp or Feeney back at the mimimum.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Kyle Van Noy - released by the Dolphins today - there are going to be decent options for fair prices this fall.

Not saying I want Van Noy but there are going to be Edge rushers available and the price might drop a bit unless somebody is picked up quickly.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
        cue the Aerosmith.....Me thinks Walker Little won't make it to pick 47 now
        If Slater is gone trade down in the first and take Little or AVT. 2 new O Line starters in free agency and 2 from the draft, thinking a 3rd or 4th rd guard could be a starter and likely better scenario than lamp or Feeney back at the mimimum.
        There is video of Little working out recently,
        and he looks just fine.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

There is video of Little working out recently,
          and he looks just fine.
          Without a knee brace
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2020
            • Send PM

If not Trent Williams.. which would be a signing that would make all the sense in the world to me, Okung can be had for maybe a one year deal to be used more as a stop gap OL. The last time Okung played on a one year deal, he had arguably his best season I believe.

Either way, it's important to set a new foundation / commitment to the OL unit this off-season, starting with LT.

Russell Okung, LT, Carolina Panthers (32)
            He’s had trouble staying healthy with just 13 starts over the last two seasons. But Thorn said if Okung can stay on the field, he’s a crafty veteran who should be able to make up for declining physical ability as he gets older.

“He has so many different ways to win as a pass protector and run blocker,” Thorn said. “He has a really good understanding of leverage and just the nuances of the position, getting guys blocked in creative ways with a variety of techniques in his toolbox. He just has so many different things.”

A team in the market for a veteran left tackle might be able to land Okung on a one-year deal.

Comment

• bman6555
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

We're sitting at 42 mil in cap space the moment Turner is cut. That's without any trimming of Mike Williams and Linval Joseph's cap figures.
              We can easily fit resigning Henry, Perryman and still have room for several big signings if need be (assuming we let Ingram walk also). Realistically where would the bulk of that FA money go? The only options are several cheaper players at 5-10 mil or a couple big signings, probably at O-line. Nothing else really makes sense for the team, we aren't spending big on any offensive skill position, and on the D-side the only big money I would consider would maybe be another pass rusher. Personally, I think we sign 2 vets for the line at LT,LG or C and that also benefits us by opening the door on the draft options at #13 (Surtain, Farley) rather than having to go LT or bust and force a rookie to start day 1 in a major position.

Are we really going to trust Herbie's blind side to a (non-Sewell) rookie LT? Have rookie tackles been that good (last year mostly excepted, and all 4 were better ranked than Slater is)? Why not get a vet who we know will play at a much better level than we got last year, and use some later picks to get some developmental players if you want. I'd take Trent Williams in a heartbeat. Backload his contract so his cap hit is ~13 mil this year and if he breaks down we've lost little as we don't have long term cap problems and would be able to eat the dead cap.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post
                We're sitting at 42 mil in cap space the moment Turner is cut. That's without any trimming of Mike Williams and Linval Joseph's cap figures.
                We can easily fit resigning Henry, Perryman and still have room for several big signings if need be (assuming we let Ingram walk also). Realistically where would the bulk of that FA money go? The only options are several cheaper players at 5-10 mil or a couple big signings, probably at O-line. Nothing else really makes sense for the team, we aren't spending big on any offensive skill position, and on the D-side the only big money I would consider would maybe be another pass rusher. Personally, I think we sign 2 vets for the line at LT,LG or C and that also benefits us by opening the door on the draft options at #13 (Surtain, Farley) rather than having to go LT or bust and force a rookie to start day 1 in a major position.

Are we really going to trust Herbie's blind side to a (non-Sewell) rookie LT? Have rookie tackles been that good (last year mostly excepted, and all 4 were better ranked than Slater is)? Why not get a vet who we know will play at a much better level than we got last year, and use some later picks to get some developmental players if you want. I'd take Trent Williams in a heartbeat. Backload his contract so his cap hit is ~13 mil this year and if he breaks down we've lost little as we don't have long term cap problems and would be able to eat the dead cap.
                Per Over the Cap, the Chargers would be sitting at $35.3m if Turner is released as the have the cap currently at =$180m, Spotrac has it estimated to be higher:

If the team brings back Hunter Henry - that probably is at minimum $7.5m in year 1
                Mike Davis - probably $6.5m in year 1
                Jenkins $5m in year 1
                Rookie draft class will be a net of like 5.5m (9m to sign them but offset by other players currently on the roster being released)

So high level that 35.3 is now $10m

Hence, Casey Hayward getting released and or his contracted lowered and Mike Williams getting a long term deal done so save cap space - lets say $8m between the two if MW is brought back at like 4/48, lowering his cap number by 6m and Casey or the new guy make less than Casey

Linsley: first year cap number of $8m
                WArford: first year cap number of $4m
                pick your DE type at $6-7m

In the draft you try to get OT in R1 and another OG by R3
                CB and Edge in R2 and R3

Thats one way of looking at the cap if it stays at 180. If it goes up - of course that opens things up

This offseason there could be lots of changes. I am on record of looking for better options than Hayward and Joseph. Mike Williams - he either needs to get a long term deal done or let him find a team that will.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

I am on-board with your thought process!! Just as you had mentioned, Herbert's blindside is so essential, especially in his early years as he settles in and continually learn the game. Because the Chargers have severely missed on OL in recent drafts, they will have to just pay the price this off-season and fill a premium position with a solid to great OL, especially LT. I am not for another season of plugging the OL with just average veteran guys. We need at least one foundational piece to build around I believe.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Without a knee brace
                    Feb 26 tweets of him doing sled and jumping up with weights without a brace. Hopefully we get the kid.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Its not like Rookie LTs havent started before. If Slater starts at LT for instance, are you really more worried about him being there over Tevi or Pipkins? Hec id call that an upgrade. I worry about Pipkins at RT....or having to play at all.

We dont need to shoot for the stars to upgrade this OL and then hope he dont break down and eat millions in dead cap. Its a bottom feeder OL of below average players.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Its not like Rookie LTs havent started before. If Slater starts at LT for instance, are you really more worried about him being there over Tevi or Pipkins? Hec id call that an upgrade. I worry about Pipkins at RT....or having to play at all.

We dont need to shoot for the stars to upgrade this OL and then hope he dont break down and eat millions in dead cap. Its a bottom feeder OL of below average players.
                        Chargers dead cap space is excellent. Of the players that could be released: Harris, Hayward and Joseph - none of those players have cap money from future years that would be added to this years cap as more "dead money." What they have already is sunk cost. Hence not beholden to any of them if the roster can be improved. The Chargers also have great cap space in 2022 - they can be aggressive with the RIGHT players that fit the window

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Chargers dead cap space is excellent. Of the players that could be released: Harris, Hayward and Joseph - none of those players have cap money from future years that would be added to this years cap as more "dead money." What they have already is sunk cost. Hence not beholden to any of them if the roster can be improved. The Chargers also have great cap space in 2022 - they can be aggressive with the RIGHT players that fit the window
                          Im not a capologist but what i do THINK happens is if we release Joseph, he has a 4 million dead cap. It IS there and that goes against our cap even if we do save over 7 mil by releasing him so it isnt a full 7 mill we are saving this year but it used to be that it could be spread out over two seasons, not sure if that is still true but it should be. Not sure what you mean by sunk cost.

That said, i dont think Joseph will get released. Not sure Harris will either. I just dont think we will sign a bunch of costly FA's. Maybe a few tier 2 types.

Comment

Working...
                          X