• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I know Telesco will have to use free agency to help augment the roster. And combined with the draft. I am just not wasting a pick before R5 - if I were Telesco - on anything but filling needs. RB is a luxury. DL, CB and OL are not luxuries.

RB is a wasted damn pick if they do it again.
    I agree! Very well said.. There are foundational pieces and anything outside of that becomes a luxury. For example, the OL is really not good at all. It's one of the very worse I can remember! There needs to be a sense of urgency with at least getting that area to adequate in my opinion. CB is also a foundational area that needs to be addressed, although not as urgent as OL, but not far behind. Defensive line is a foundational and important piece just as the offensive line. It will be increasingly difficult to achieve any positive sustainability without addressing those areas through the draft mostly in my opinion over time. When teams sign veteran QBs, it tells me that those organizations are trying to make up mostly for not being able to address this in the draft, so QB is certainly a foundational piece as well, which I believe the Chargers addressed very smartly last off-season.

Finding Value involves knowing what your team needs are first.. It's not only the mention of positional needs, which all teams have them, but how BADLY those positions need to be addressed. Even if there are FA signed in this area, the smart thing is to draft young OL players also, even if this includes reaching some and passing on other positions because the OL is in desperate need. And with the aging,. in particular CB because that position mostly does not age very well overall, CB becomes a pressing position also that needs to be addressed through FA and the draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

I agree! Very well said.. There are foundational pieces and anything outside of that becomes a luxury. For example, the OL is really not good at all. It's one of the very worse I can remember! There needs to be a sense of urgency with at least getting that area to adequate in my opinion. CB is also a foundational area that needs to be addressed, although not as urgent as OL, but not far behind. Defensive line is a foundational and important piece just as the offensive line. It will be increasingly difficult to achieve any positive sustainability without addressing those areas through the draft mostly in my opinion over time. When teams sign veteran QBs, it tells me that those organizations are trying to make up mostly for not being able to address this in the draft, so QB is certainly a foundational piece as well, which I believe the Chargers addressed very smartly last off-season.

Finding Value involves knowing what your team needs are first.. It's not only the mention of positional needs, which all teams have them, but how BADLY those positions need to be addressed. Even if there are FA signed in this area, the smart thing is to draft young OL players also, even if this includes reaching some and passing on other positions because the OL is in desperate need. And with the aging,. in particular CB because that position mostly does not age very well overall, CB becomes a pressing position also that needs to be addressed through FA and the draft.
      If you draft solely for need, you won't likely draft well and miss out on some playmakers and then a few years later will criticize the GM while saying,.... We could of had enter name here instead.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Bulaga isn't a free agent after this season. And i see no reason why Jones would be released.

And RB is a need too. TE really is not as I'm pretty certain Henry will be a priority. Til he isn't signed, it's not a need imo.

But once again we will know for certain after FA'cy so it's tough to say what we should draft at this point but he's we know what we need.

Sometimes a value player falls like Keenan did. Pitts isn't a value in round one at #13 like those RBs would be in rounds 3-4.

I used the word obstensibly based on his cap hit for Bulaga - its like 15m next years. So I am just saying its a higher probability today that he won't make year 3 than he will

I understand the idea of best player v filling a need. And its tricky - you have to take talent as you are giving shots to the field so to speak if on your board your leave talent for somebody else.

If Telesco had hit on some OL picks in the past - he might have more leeway. But I look at the history of the Chargers under Telesco and the pending free agents and I will stick with how I hope the draft goes - he fills those needs in the first 3-4 rounds.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

I’m done talking about what positions we need to draft in whatever rounds until after our FA signings.

A determines B
          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If you draft solely for need, you won't likely draft well and miss out on some playmakers and then a few years later will criticize the GM while saying,.... We could of had enter name here instead.
            We've essentially drafted BPA for Telesco's entire tenure. This roster had plenty of talent and can't win because we haven't addressed the OL to nearly the extent we needed to.

Don't get me wrong, I think BPA is a great strategy, but I think this team has plenty of talent. Additionally, it depends on correctly identifying the best player available. It's really hard to do.

Just as you say we'll be constantly saying "We could have had U" we drafted BPA, Tillery, and we're still saying that even though we went BPA.

Also, I think the best strategy should be to select the best value available. For example, I wouldn't take a RB at the top of round 1 no matter what. You can get the best FA running back for the same price you're getting the draft pick. OTs, QBs, pass rushers, CBs, etc. are much better value. When you have a young QB and the worst OL it definitely has an opportunity to get good at our pick.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Staley will be a game changer for Telesco because he can give him a truer sense of system fit and really evaluate not just skill set but entire toolbox, including character and intelligence.

Best Player Available to me is the best fit to excel at the biggest position of need.

I believe what we’ll see both in free agency and the draft is a cohesive game plan that vastly improves all facets of the roster.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Absolutes are impractical in a fluid fluctuating world. I generally don’t like Rd1 RB but what if LT v2 is there, you don’t want the next LT paired with Herbie for the next 8 yrs? Then again, i think mid-round is a great spot to look for a RB as many studs are found there. Not sure Kelly will have been a good pick, maybe thats another classic Telescope mid-round whiff.

Our late rd/UDFA method is a complete hit or miss crapshoot imo. Sure its cheap, sure its easy. Sure we found Eke. But the rest of the stable is a pile of meh. Great players do help.

that said - no fucking way take a RB in rd1 this year - we need OL, CB, DL imo. TE if they don’t sign Henry. I agree with the theory that fix the OL and every RB will become better, don’t fix the OL and Gale Sayers won’t gain yards.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                  Staley will be a game changer for Telesco because he can give him a truer sense of system fit and really evaluate not just skill set but entire toolbox, including character and intelligence.

Best Player Available to me is the best fit to excel at the biggest position of need.

I believe what we’ll see both in free agency and the draft is a cohesive game plan that vastly improves all facets of the roster.
                  I have a feeling Staley will be a game changer for Telesco. He just seems to know more about what he wants than McCoy and Lynn (who knows, I could be totally wrong) -- and that will help give insights to Telesco when drafting. It should be a partnership. The team needs to draft players which fit the style of play the team will run. I know Lynn loved Kelley and Murray but were they the right players for his system/

EDIT: JJ Watt to Arizona probably means Hasan Reddick is going to be a free agent. I think Reddick might be worth a call

Bring back Davis and Hunter
                  See if Mike Williams will do like 4/48 as JasonOTC suggested in a tweet and known about 6m off his cap number
                  Release Hayward and Turner
                  Sign Linsley and Reddick and maybe a guy like Easton for RG.
                  Veteran CB like Troy Hill or at worst Casey takes a pay cut to 7m or so
                  Also can bring back Rayshawn Jenkins but not sign John Johnson III

Including draft picks - the Chargers can do all of the above if you can get MW81 a bit lower and Casey takes a little pay cut
                  Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 03-01-2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

What if J. Williams, T. Etienne, R. Stevenson, N. Harris are available in round 3/4? Not worth it? My board says different.
                    If Stevenson( possibly) or Harris( doubtful) is there in round 4, grab him!
                    Otherwise, take a flyer on an RB round 5 or beyond.
                    Our first 4 picks are top 100, yes? There'll be enough impact players at positions of need( read: ANYWHERE along the O line, CB, Edge, IDL).
                    Improve the Line, our stable of RB's look A LOT better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

If Stevenson( possibly) or Harris( doubtful) is there in round 4, grab him!
                      Otherwise, take a flyer on an RB round 5 or beyond.
                      Our first 4 picks are top 100, yes? There'll be enough impact players at positions of need( read: ANYWHERE along the O line, CB, Edge, IDL).
                      Improve the Line, our stable of RB's look A LOT better.
                      For the most part I agree.
                      I have J. Williams, T. Etienne, and R. Stevenson as top 40 prospects. If I don’t have have higher rated prospects on the board in round 3 why shouldn’t we draft them? Just for PON preference? That is not a wise strategy.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

For the most part I agree.
                        I have J. Williams, T. Etienne, and R. Stevenson as top 40 prospects. If I don’t have have higher rated prospects on the board in round 3 why shouldn’t we draft them? Just for PON preference? That is not a wise strategy.
                        In theory I agree. IF a player you have ranked in your top 40 is there in the 3rd round - it makes sense to take them. But at the same time, there is a fine line because if at 13 you pick WR or TE and R3 you now pick RB - are you helping the team more than filling areas of need. And OL, DL, CB and OL are areas of need after watching this team.

Plus allocation of resources. 3rd round RB is not a 1st like Najee Harris would be. But the Chargers have KA, maybe Hunter Henry and Mike Williams and Ekeler - they have the monies allocated to those positions. I want monies and assets allocated to the line of scrimmage.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

The Cardinals. Huh. 2-year deal, $31 million. $23m guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                          X