• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Im not a capologist but what i do THINK happens is if we release Joseph, he has a 4 million dead cap. It IS there and that goes against our cap even if we do save over 7 mil by releasing him so it isnt a full 7 mill we are saving this year but it used to be that it could be spread out over two seasons, not sure if that is still true but it should be. Not sure what you mean by sunk cost.

That said, i dont think Joseph will get released. Not sure Harris will either. I just dont think we will sign a bunch of costly FA's. Maybe a few tier 2 types.
    Joseph is scheduled to count $11.5m against the cap: $4m in dead - either if he is on the roster or not. $2m of his salary guarantees on the third day of the new year and his season salary is $5.5m

The Chargers if they release by the third day would save $7.5m against the cap. I have zero idea if there is a better DT out there for 7.5m - but its probably been discussed. Might have been a 2 minute conversation - had a good year, fits our scheme, keep him. Had a good year, doesn't fit our scheme - have to see who does. I think that is why Brockers got some play - might fit the scheme since he played in it plus the Rams need to save cap

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

My offensive linemen targets.......

Ted Karras.......(turn off the sound is my advice)

2019 NE #75 OC

2020 MIA #67 OC

Matt Feiler........

2019 PIT #71 ORT

2020 PIT #71 OLG

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• bman6555
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Its not like Rookie LTs havent started before. If Slater starts at LT for instance, are you really more worried about him being there over Tevi or Pipkins? Hec id call that an upgrade. I worry about Pipkins at RT....or having to play at all.

We dont need to shoot for the stars to upgrade this OL and then hope he dont break down and eat millions in dead cap. Its a bottom feeder OL of below average players.
        That's my point, I'm worried about all 3 of those starting. If we can lock down a good/great veteran LT that'll go a long way. I'd rather pay the premium for a known commodity than hope Slater works out otherwise we could be losing several games due to poor line play. Give me a league average line and that should be sufficient for the rest of our talent on offense to stand out, we just have to avoid having a bad line and wasting the year.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

My other key FA targets.......

Shaquill Griffin (CB) #26 Seahawks

Samson Ebukam (OLB/EDGE) #50 LAR

Had to add this since it happened against Mahomes in 2018.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
            My other key FA targets.......

Shaquill Griffin (CB) #26 Seahawks

Samson Ebukam (OLB/EDGE) #50 LAR

Had to add this since it happened against Mahomes in 2018.
            Griffin is a name that I would be looking hard at if Mike Davis doesn't want to come back.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Griffin is a name that I would be looking hard at if Mike Davis doesn't want to come back.
              I want both manning our perimeter CB positions. Young ascending dudes on 3-5 yr deals.
              Draft another PCB this year early.
              Draft a combo NCB/DS this year day 3.
              Talent, depth, and playmaking ability.

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I want both manning our perimeter CB positions. Young ascending dudes on 3-5 yr deals.
                Draft another PCB this year early.
                Draft a combo NCB/DS this year day 3.
                Talent, depth, and playmaking ability.
                I would do that. I would cut both Harris and Hayward if you can get Griffin and Mike Davis

another name to look at Ken Crawley for DB

Here is the thing - I see the Chargers window as the 3-5 years you have listed. Thats why I keep mentioning Hayward, Harris and Joseph - they do not fit the long term window. They each have one year - get players that will be on the roster 3-4 years with Herbert, Bosa, Allen, Ekeler, probably Henry and MW81. The time is now - don't waste a bleeping year hoping somebody MIGHT return to form. 32 year old CBs don't return to form.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

I would do that. I would cut both Harris and Hayward if you can get Griffin and Mike Davis

Here is the thing - I see the Chargers window as the 3-5 years you have listed. Thats why I keep mentioning Hayward, Harris and Joseph - they do not fit the long term window. They each have one year - get players that will be on the roster 3-4 years with Herbert, Bosa, Allen, Ekeler, probably Henry and MW81. The time is now - don't waste a bleeping year hoping somebody MIGHT return to form. 32 year old CBs don't return to form.
                  Young, experienced, ascending, scheme fit, produce turnovers and have the grinder mentality with size/speed to boot.
                  Get Feiler and Karras on 2-4 year deals to solidify the IOL immediately.
                  Ekubam on a short term deal for depth, experience, and ST chops.

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bman6555 View Post

That's my point, I'm worried about all 3 of those starting. If we can lock down a good/great veteran LT that'll go a long way. I'd rather pay the premium for a known commodity than hope Slater works out otherwise we could be losing several games due to poor line play. Give me a league average line and that should be sufficient for the rest of our talent on offense to stand out, we just have to avoid having a bad line and wasting the year.
                    I am right with you brother! TT has been solid to good if you take away the poor offensive lines over the years. Overpay some if needed, but I would much rather start with and build from a known high level LT than start with a rookie LT when the entire offensive line is a mess.

I also agree that an adequate line at least is all that is needed with some of the other offensive pieces in place.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Anyone want a slightly used TE? Lol

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

I completely agree with your post except for the MW81 portion. IF he commands a salary in the 13 mil range then I say buh bye........I have never felt that he was elite as far as receivers go in the NFL. Not even close.........

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I completely agree with your post except for the MW81 portion. IF he commands a salary in the 13 mil range then I say buh bye........I have never felt that he was elite as far as receivers go in the NFL. Not even close.........
                          Just for the record - when I think of paying Mike Williams - I am going by what Jason , the cap guru from Overthecap.com suggested - He was answering questions on twitter the other night drinking a few beers and I suggested 4/45 to Jason and he said, "that range or a bit higher" - -so for me its like a max of 4/48 but a first year cap number of around 9-10m to save around 6m off his current cap number and he is signed long termed

But I am with you - I think you can get a player like Sammie Watkins possibly that might be 3/30 range who can do for you what MW does. He is down on my priority list

Hunter Henry, Mike Davis, a couple OL, a younger CB opposite Mike Davis and a safety, Rayshawn or JJ3 or the kid from the Jets - than WR. If he wants too much money and another team wants to pay him more - maybe they can get a 2022 5th round pick out of the deal

Comment

Working...
                          X