He's gone, Jim.
    Come on down Pitts

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We can sign a Jared Cook on a short term deal and add a Tommy Tremble, Hunter Long, or Pat Freiermuth in round 3.
      TT has a lot of options for Domers this year: Eichenberg in the 2nd, Tremble in the 3rd, Aaron Banks in the 4rth.
      Hell, he might be tempted to take Owuso K at 13.

They'll take at least 1 Domer this draft.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd rather keep HH than Mike Will...if we let HH go, we could be on the prowl for a TE in round 3-4...
        I would rather keep HH than Mike Williams as well. Popper on his video chat mentions overpaying for Hunter Henry. In his article he talks of Mike Williams playing this year on this current deal. I think the Chargers will not pay him the 15.68m - I think they either re-do his deal or he walks. I

was messing around with some current cap numbers, players that are key free agents as well as players that might be released with the current cap and reallocation of cap for current and future. Now the numbers in red for Henry, Davis, Jenkins and Feeney are just estimates because they are free agents and really do not have a number but Telesco will have to fill TE, CB, S and IOL with some dollars so there will be cap charges for those positions. I didn't include players like Rochelle , Tevi, as I think those can wait. To me the below are the big decisions.

And Hayward, Harris and Joseph, for me its just not about salary cap number - its scheme, their play , long term fit with this 3 year window of Herbert on a rookie deal and if the Chargers can make better use of their cap space. The big decision is Mike Williams and if they can get MW signed to a lower deal - they can easily get a guy like John Johnson III I think the Chargers can make some good moves with their cap
        83,580,000 77,930,000
        Position Player Current Player Future Player
        IOL Turner 11,500,000 Linsley 9,000,000
        CB Hayward 9,750,000 new CB or pay cut 7,000,000
        CB Harris 7,500,000 Troy Hill? 6,000,000
        WR Williams 15,680,000 longer term deal 9,680,000
        TE Henry* 7,000,000 Hunter Henry 10,000,000
        CB Davis* 6,500,000 MD43 6,500,000
        IDL Joseph 7,900,000 Leonard Floyd? 10,000,000
        S Jenkins* 5,500,000 Rayshawn 5,500,000
        IOL Feeney* 2,500,000 tbd 4,500,000
        DEAD Hayward + Joseph + Harris 9,750,000 DEAD 9,750,000

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would rather keep HH than Mike Williams as well. Popper on his video chat mentions overpaying for Hunter Henry. In his article he talks of Mike Williams playing this year on this current deal. I think the Chargers will not pay him the 15.68m - I think they either re-do his deal or he walks. I

was messing around with some current cap numbers, players that are key free agents as well as players that might be released with the current cap and reallocation of cap for current and future. Now the numbers in red for Henry, Davis, Jenkins and Feeney are just estimates because they are free agents and really do not have a number but Telesco will have to fill TE, CB, S and IOL with some dollars so there will be cap charges for those positions. I didn't include players like Rochelle , Tevi, as I think those can wait. To me the below are the big decisions.

And Hayward, Harris and Joseph, for me its just not about salary cap number - its scheme, their play , long term fit with this 3 year window of Herbert on a rookie deal and if the Chargers can make better use of their cap space. The big decision is Mike Williams and if they can get MW signed to a lower deal - they can easily get a guy like John Johnson III I think the Chargers can make some good moves with their cap
          83,580,000 77,930,000
          Position Player Current Player Future Player
          IOL Turner 11,500,000 Linsley 9,000,000
          CB Hayward 9,750,000 new CB or pay cut 7,000,000
          CB Harris 7,500,000 Troy Hill? 6,000,000
          WR Williams 15,680,000 longer term deal 9,680,000
          TE Henry* 7,000,000 Hunter Henry 10,000,000
          CB Davis* 6,500,000 MD43 6,500,000
          IDL Joseph 7,900,000 Leonard Floyd? 10,000,000
          S Jenkins* 5,500,000 Rayshawn 5,500,000
          IOL Feeney* 2,500,000 tbd 4,500,000
          DEAD Hayward + Joseph + Harris 9,750,000 DEAD 9,750,000

I think ALL your projections are lowball figures.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think ALL your projections are lowball figures.

CAP <> AAV. I could care less what the AAV is - its all about the cap number

Even if you sign Hunter Henry for $13m AAV, so 52/4 - a cap number of $10m is very doable.

Last year Linval Joseph signed a two year deal for 17m, AAV of $8.5; his cap number was 5.5m. Granted with that comes dead money this year - but its how the game is played.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Cory Linsley will fit nicely into that expected increase in cap space (if he makes it to free agency).

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

What about Gabe Jackson spells ZBS? He is big and slow.
                  I'm going make an arguement here. Food for thought below.

Gabe Jackson vertical was 2 inches more than Lamp. Vertical is often used to indicate explosion off the snap.
                  For position and size. Lamp was 38 percentile. Gabe was 75 percentile. Gabe broad jump for his size was 95 percentile. Also an indication of explosion. His 10yd split was 1.85 vs Lamp 1.75 but Gabe is 30 pounds heavier. And how often are lineman really running 10yd sprint untouched. 20 yards shuttle side to side. Right? Lamp was 67 percentile. Gabe 70 percentile. Why couldnt Gabe buddy up on inside zone combo blocks. Also timing up block is what is key. If you over run the block with your much quicker lineman that doesn't help. The point is to successfully make the block. Now if Chargers want to run a ton of outside and counter with inside zone then maybe Gabe isn't your guy. But I suspect they will play inside out and even mix in gap vs opponent.
                  I think Gabe can do that for you.

Fox analyst Mark Schlereth, a former NFL tackle with Denver and Washington, could barely contain his glee when he called the Raiders’ 31-26 win over the Chargers and Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson pulled to the outside and led the way for a 23-yard touchdown run by Booker.
                  We saw that we could outflank them, with pullers,” Jacobs said. “I’ve never seen big guys move that smooth, that fluidly.”
                  Cable was mixing in gap schemes and pin-and-pull concepts to go with the team’s base zone blocking.

I think Staley is a mix and match type coach.
                  Seem like he will be wanting to do whatever works vs that opponent on both sides of the ball vs simply running his stuff over and over.

Just an opinion. But I wouldn't just say Gabe is slow and fat and can't do zone blocking.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Word is that the cuts by teams this year will make people’s heads spin. After a rising salary cap every year this is the first year it’s going down

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Gabe Jackson vertical was 2 inches more than Lamp. Vertical is often used to indicate explosion off the snap.
                      For position and size. Lamp was 38 percentile. Gabe was 75 percentile. Gabe broad jump for his size was 95 percentile. Also an indication of explosion. His 10yd split was 1.85 vs Lamp 1.75 but Gabe is 30 pounds heavier. And how often are lineman really running 10yd sprint untouched. 20 yards shuttle side to side. Right? Lamp was 67 percentile. Gabe 70 percentile. Why couldnt Gabe buddy up on inside zone combo blocks. Also timing up block is what is key. If you over run the block with your much quicker lineman that doesn't help. The point is to successfully make the block. Now if Chargers want to run a ton of outside and counter with inside zone then maybe Gabe isn't your guy. But I suspect they will play inside out and even mix in gap vs opponent.

Fox analyst Mark Schlereth, a former NFL tackle with Denver and Washington, could barely contain his glee when he called the Raiders’ 31-26 win over the Chargers and Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson pulled to the outside and led the way for a 23-yard touchdown run by Booker.
                      We saw that we could outflank them, with pullers,” Jacobs said. “I’ve never seen big guys move that smooth, that fluidly.”
                      Cable was mixing in gap schemes and pin-and-pull concepts to go with the team’s base zone blocking.

Seem like he will be wanting to do whatever works vs that opponent on both sides of the ball vs simply running his stuff over and over.

Just an opinion. But I wouldn't just say Gabe is slow and fat and can't do zone blocking.
                      Looking at PFF - I get its only one metric but just a way to compare players. I am just looking at Centers, OG and OT. The OGs seem to be a cluster - even Thuney, though higher, is not as high as Linsley compared to Austin Blythe. Now again, style of play matters - who fits the scheme. I didn't include Scherff as I think he will be franchised.

But if the Chargers could get LInsley and a serviceable OG like Gabe Jackson -- I have read Feiler is a priority for the Steelers - would be a nice combo in free agency. I wonder if the Raiders have any interest in Harris or Hayward for a trade. And by this, Trent Williams is the player to get at LT followed by Linsley. As just one metric but they are SO MUCH better than the other possible options
                      Centers PFF OG PFF OT PFF
                      Linsley 89.9 Thuney 74.2 Trent Williams 91.9
                      Blythe 69.3 Feiler 65 Villanueva 74.2
                      David Andrews 67.4 Feliciano 64.6
                      Pocic 62.4 Gabe J 63.7
                      Nick Martin 56.1 Easton 59.6
                      Feeney 48.2 Lamp 49.4
                      Warford n/a

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Interesting comparison .........to a guy i dont expect us to resign who will be a lot cheaper.

So ok, you like Gabe Jackson. Not the best fit for zone blocking is what im saying but he is an OK player. Not for what they paid him but better than Lamp for sure. I wouldnt pay him big bucks tho.

I do think Meinerz would be great in that scheme and he doesnt miss very often, though he played in a Div III? conference so getting up to speed will be a factor.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Interesting comparison .........to a guy i dont expect us to resign who will be a lot cheaper.

So ok, you like Gabe Jackson. Not the best fit for zone blocking is what im saying but he is an OK player. Not for what they paid him but better than Lamp for sure. I wouldnt pay him big bucks tho.

I do think Meinerz would be great in that scheme and he doesnt miss very often, though he played in a Div III? conference so getting up to speed will be a factor.
                          Just thinking that if Gabe's former coach vouches for him and he can be had for relatively cheap contract then he is an upgrade. And adds an experienced player to the group.

Same with Villanueva-OT. Another experience player that if his former coach vouches for him is an upgrade. Hard to count on Bulaga and Pipkins seem to struggle as the swing tackle. Tevi seems to be improving. Do they they resign him?

It will be interesting to see how it all works out from who they re-sign, who they may get in UFA and who they may draft.

Whoever the group is.... some durability from the starting 5 and playing all 16 would be huge boost for the team.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X