• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    I look for the undrafted players to get cut first. TT loves his draft picks.
    Yeah he's had such a lousy record of undrafted free agents making the 53-man roster during his tenure. :wtf2:

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Kyzir is @245#. Big and fast!

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Yeah he's had such a lousy record of undrafted free agents making the 53-man roster during his tenure. :wtf2:
          Thing is... when you consistently have strong drafts, there's less room for UDFAs to make the 53 man roster. So *sometimes* having a strong record of UDFA players make your roster is just a reflection of poor drafting.

I mean... you sign 16 UDFAs each year, you'd *hope* you'd hit on an Austin Ekeler every once in a while, because that's also one of the differences between successful teams, and also-rans. The Chargers? Their UDFA roster-makers have, by and large, been of the Damion Square-Jahleel Addae-Kassim Osgood variety. Bottom-of-the-roster guys.

The major exception is Antonio Gates, but i put him in an entirely different category, since he didn't really play college football and signed with the Bolts primarily because he was acquainted with the guy who was the Chargers' tight ends coach at the time.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Thing is... when you consistently have strong drafts, there's less room for UDFAs to make the 53 man roster. So *sometimes* having a strong record of UDFA players make your roster is just a reflection of poor drafting.

I mean... you sign 16 UDFAs each year, you'd *hope* you'd hit on an Austin Ekeler every once in a while, because that's also one of the differences between successful teams, and also-rans. The Chargers? Their UDFA roster-makers have, by and large, been of the Damion Square-Jahleel Addae-Kassim Osgood variety. Bottom-of-the-roster guys.

The major exception is Antonio Gates, but i put him in an entirely different category, since he didn't really play college football and signed with the Bolts primarily because he was acquainted with the guy who was the Chargers' tight ends coach at the time.
            For REAL bottom of the roster guys, I give you...Willie Smith and Max Starks...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

According to the GAC podcast, Jakeem Grant is on the bubble in MIA because Waddle will be returning punts. Dude is an electric punt returner and is also a pretty crafty slot receiver. Any thoughts on trying to pick him up? Or even trade a late rounder to get him on the squad?
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Does it really matter, except to draft geeks, how a player was acquired? Who cares if it was an UDFA, a high draft pick, a trade or a FA signing as long as the overall roster performs?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
                  Reviewing the photos/videos of the Chargers departing for Seattle, I see a number of key players, including Bosa and Mike Davis, wearing masks. I assume this means they are not vaxed. Not intending to get into a debate on either vax or masks, but does worry me that the NFL protocols on this are so severe combined with the key players who might be subject to them if something happens.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Does it really matter, except to draft geeks, how a player was acquired? Who cares if it was an UDFA, a high draft pick, a trade or a FA signing as long as the overall roster performs?
                    No, it doesn't matter. It just doesn't make sense to credit an organization for having UDFAs make the roster, if the main reason they made the roster was because it was talent-depleted from a string of poor drafts. That's what some posters have done, and I was pointing out that the "attribution" of credit there isn't necessarily accurate. That's all.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Reviewing the photos/videos of the Chargers departing for Seattle, I see a number of key players, including Bosa and Mike Davis, wearing masks. I assume this means they are not vaxed. Not intending to get into a debate on either vax or masks, but does worry me that the NFL protocols on this are so severe combined with the key players who might be subject to them if something happens.

TG
                      We have the topic in the Health forum, so discuss it there.

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Well, I suppose it's a process vs. results debate. Hitting on late round picks and UDFAs is probably less repeatable than hitting on early and mid round picks. If you are so good at evaluating late round talent why are you so bad at early and mid round players? I'm not saying this is the case with TT, just in general. It probably doesn't bode well for the future because there just aren't a ton of guys with the talent to be good players later in the draft or who make it through the draft. Like how many guys make the probowl are drafted after the 5th round? It's not many.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm with u, Wood...Bradwell could get poached...
                          Lol, you think everybody we release will get poached.

Every team has a PS not just us and we were a last place team last season. We still have depth issues in areas.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                          X