• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

MW and parham are medium speed guys who have size to go up high and out jump defenders for the ball....
    Ekler is more quick than fast.....
    Guyton is ONLY guy on offense with break away speed....
    Speed kills.... We need at least one other WR as fast or faster than Guyton..... so we can go 5 wide and in case of injuries...etc....
    I do grant you your points, up to a certain point...Ek goes deep with speed.
    ​​​​​
    The winning point is that Parham, MWilliams, Palmer and Guyton will command double teams downfield.

This creates space underneath for Keenan and Ekeler.

TBilly also lost out to versatile Special Teams Ace Stephen Anderson IMV for one of the last roster spots.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I looked it up and u r right...didn't realize this...T-Billy has been cut 5 times for a reason...

johnson 2.JPGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyron_Johnson
      The only team Johnson lasted more than 2 weeks was Chargers. Maybe he missing something between the ears? Doesnt seem very talented to 5 different teams

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I know I was impressed with Johnson actually catching long TD passes and to some extent, Guyton. Benjamin almost never did. That's probably why the fan base was 'confused' on why Tbilly was cut, but we don't see the entire picture during practice and in the WR room.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Staley is taking a risk cutting Johnson. He is betting, hoping, there won't be any injuries in our WR corps. Because if any one of the top 4 guys goes down, Johnson is going be missed.

What does not having Johnson do to our team speed? He runs the 40 in the 4.3s. We still have Guyton, but he's the only guy on the offense who has that kind of speed, as far as I know. If Guyton goes down, there's nobody else in the WR corps who has that type of deep speed who can take the top off of a defense.

I think another team will sign Johnson. He's too talented and put that talent on display last season catching long balls from Herbert. He won't make it the Bolts' PS. I'll bet you Lynn is salivating in Detroit to have Johnson in his WR room. I can also see the Bengals wanting to bring in another fast WR with good hands for Joe Burrow. And I can see Belichick trying to get him for Mac Jones* and turning him into another Wes Welker.

I'm giving Staley the benefit of the doubt, and continue to believe there were other reasons for letting Johnson go that people in the know aren't talking about.

*I initially wrote Mac Davis, but he only played a QB in the movies. (Only old-timers will get this without Googling.)

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

Lions, after recommendation from Lynn?

Teams in our division?
            Guess we’ll see.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              I know I was impressed with Johnson actually catching long TD passes and to some extent, Guyton. Benjamin almost never did. That's probably why the fan base was 'confused' on why Tbilly was cut, but we don't see the entire picture during practice and in the WR room.
              Not to bring up COVID but wonder if not only TBilly but any player on the border was cut because they were not vaccinated. NOt saying it it or isn't but wouldn't be surprised if it did affect a decision - especially at the end of the roster

Either way - we are still talking about guys at the end of the roster - some of who will be inactive each week

So, say the Chargers kept 6 WRS - how many are truly active on Gameday, maybe 5
              Like for TE - McKitty is probably inactive each week
              The third QB - and Staley alluded to have three on hand so they can probably quarantine one guy or make arrangements - again, how many are ACTIVE each game

So when I read that an extra QB is taking a roster spot - I wonder - how many WRs or RBs can they truly play at ONE time that the third QB is takijng the place of.

Sure, you might short side yourself a game but you can always fix it the next game

I am also okay if Special Teams were aconsideration in the decisions. That is much more important than a 6th WR that may not play.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We are truly upset and reacting to the bottom of the roster, as you say, B4K. That's actually a good thing and I (think? hope?) it is a great indication of a very strong roster. Like I wrote somewhere else, when I look at the cuts I get upset. But when I look at the roster, it makes a lot of sense with maybe 4-5 guys I would like to see not having been kept. But none of them are key players. And who knows maybe we get an upgrade off the other league cuts for a couple spots?

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  We are truly upset and reacting to the bottom of the roster, as you say, B4K. That's actually a good thing and I (think? hope?) it is a great indication of a very strong roster. Like I wrote somewhere else, when I look at the cuts I get upset. But when I look at the roster, it makes a lot of sense with maybe 4-5 guys I would like to see not having been kept. But none of them are key players. And who knows maybe we get an upgrade off the other league cuts for a couple spots?

TG
                  On my morning walk - good time to think - and I had this thought which just proves my reaction was more emotion than analytical - you do not cut Pipkins unless you have somebody out there BETTER than Pipkins. And maybe the bar is low - but you cannot short side yourself at OT.

And yes, maybe the roster is better that really most people can agree on the first 48 players or so.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                    Every team’s fan base is bitching about some cut or another it’s their right of passage, suppose? Like Herbert can’t throw the deep ball without T-Billy please….. if Telesco really wanted to address this niche he would have gone hard in free agency to acquire a Will Fuller. There are other options and better fits.

Im more concerned about the developing talent who deserve more PT. I’ve been hard on both back-up QB’s. For me no resolution to carry two is more symptomatic of underlying issue when neither are worth a roster spot compared to some who were cut. Speaks to the positional value of QB. Four RB’s is also a lot to carry when two, Jackson and Kelly, lesser than 6th rd. Rountree.

Chargers front office ball now. These areas will be addressed and upgraded during course of season, next year in free agency and the draft.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Every team’s fan base is bitching about some cut or another it’s their right of passage, suppose? Like Herbert can’t throw the deep ball without T-Billy please….. if Telesco really wanted to address this niche he would have gone hard in free agency to acquire a Will Fuller. There are other options and better fits.

Im more concerned about the developing talent who deserve more PT. I’ve been hard on both back-up QB’s. For me no resolution to carry two is more symptomatic of underlying issue when neither are worth a roster spot compared to some who were cut. Speaks to the positional value of QB. Four RB’s is also a lot to carry when two, Jackson and Kelly, lesser than 6th rd. Rountree.

Chargers front office ball now. These areas will be addressed and upgraded during course of season, next year in free agency and the draft.
                      I think its obvious this roster is a work in progress with Staley. 21 new players on the 53 man from last year. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit more turnover the next couple days after the waiver wire clears things up.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No, I am saying that they have their heads up their asses if they cannot figure out that the deep pass to Johnson as well as the threat of that pass were great weapons for us last year. The deep pass is a an extreme comparative strength for Herbert versus other QBs. If Lombardi is going to call a bunch of Drew Brees short passes, he is a moron. Herbert's completion percentage will never be at the level of Brees as he is not as accurate as Brees. But Herbert has elite deep passing ability and the ability to make explosive plays is the single most exciting thing about our offense. It is what allows us to get big leads against good teams. It is what allows us to go toe to toe with teams like KC.

Hill sucks--at everything. He has zero dynamic play making ability. I would rather have Johnson and play no punt returner the entire season (which would not produce a result for us much worse than having Hill as our PR will produce). The roster decision is that bad.
                        ^ This. No doubt about it, T-Billy's ability is there, and a great asset. So, he was cut for some other reason, apparently the mental mistakes that Staley thought wouldn't improve with time and practice...too bad--4.3 speed doesn't grow on trees....

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Curious to see what happens today with waivers and PS signings.

Comment

Working...
                          X