• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
    Well....if we suck at defense next year we will know for sure our players suck! LOL!

:beer:
    Pretty much, Lynn and co was the sacrificial lamb of the 2020 team

Comment

• Blastttoff
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

Derwin James will feast on this defense. Good hire

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
        Derwin James will feast on this defense. Good hire
        hopefully homie can stay on the field. 2 outa 3 seasons on IR is not a good start. hopefully he can be like KA and turn around his injuries.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

The Chargers made things official when they announced that the team had agreed to terms with all three of their new coordinators, including new defensive coordinator Renaldo Hill.

Hill played 10 years in the NFL with four different teams. Two of those being AFC West teams in the Raiders and Broncos. Him and Staley spent a lone year together in 2019 when the former was still the team’s cornerbacks coach and the latter was coaching the outside linebackers.

With Staley having already stated he would be calling the defense, it’s up in the air exactly what the rest of Hill’s responsibilities will be if he’s not technically in charge of the team’s defense. He’ll likely help build the unit alongside Staley and play a key role in developing some of their younger defensive backs in the same manner that he helped safety Justin Simmons become a Second-Team All-Pro in 2019.

To get some more information and help you all get a better sense of who the Chargers got in their new DC, I asked Joe Rowles of SB Nation’s Broncos site, Mile High Report, if he could help enlighten our readers.

He did an excellent job in here, so I hope you all enjoy.

1.) What do you think has been the biggest impact that Renaldo Hill has left on the Broncos secondary? How much credit does he get for developing Justin Simmons into an All-Pro player?

Rowles: I give more credit to Fangio, Donatell, and Simmons for the All-Pro play than anyone. Obviously Hill played a factor, but I think where his presence shows up most is in the fact that the Broncos had 10 starting cornerbacks last year and the defense didn’t completely fall apart. At one point Parnell Motley and Will Parks were signed from their former teams and thrown into the fire within a couple of weeks. A position coach is critically important for those types of situations and Hill did a fantastic job of it.

2.) Can you enlighten us with any known information regarding what kind of defense you expect the Chargers to run in 2021? Brandon Staley will be calling the plays, but based on his and Hill’s experience in Denver together, do you believe there will be any similarities to Denver’s system under Vic Fangio?

Rowles: Back when Fangio was first hired I looked through and tried to break downwhere his scheme was a clear departure from the Vance Joseph/Wade Phillips scheme. This last week on my podcast Cover2Broncos I spoke with Cody Alexander about the differences he saw with Staley and Fangio’s scheme. The big thing was Staley showed a preference for a 5 man front in L.A. Now a part of this may be due to the talent he had up front compared to his linebacker corps with the Rams. Denver has played what amounts to a 2-4-5 for the vast majority of Fangio’s time with Denver.

One area where Staley’s defense will surely be a big adjustment for the Chargers is that philosophically the scheme is built back to front. Sound coverage on the backend will be the priority. Staley and Fangio both have shown that they’ll build many of their concepts out of a two high safety structure. This is a big difference from what is common around the league where there tends to be a clear free and strong safety. Both coaches will spin the safeties after the snap here and there, but they’re far more likely to play light in the box in order to slow down passing attacks.

3.) Are there any Broncos free agents that you believe have a good chance at ending up with the Chargers?

Rowles: I could see players like DaVante Bausby or maybe even A.J. Bouye receiving some interest as the Chargers could use more boundary corners. A couple others to keep an eye out for are Joe Jones, Josh Watson, Jurrell Casey. As soon as the Broncos cut Justin Hollins last year I knew he’d end up with the Rams so that may be something to keep an eye on as we get into camp.

4.) In your opinion, do you think this was a good hire by the Chargers? Will the Broncos miss Hill?

Rowles: I was worried the Chargers would hire Brian Daboll because of what he’d potentially mean for Justin Herbert going forward. Staley’s hire means there could be some long term questions about stability on the offensive side of the ball, but he was my second least favorite target. LA has the pieces to turn into a very strong new age defense quickly and the system has given Pat Mahomes some issues in the redzone.

As for Hill? I’m happy for him even if it is a blow to the Broncos. Ed Donatell is a DB coach first and he clearly thought enough of Hill to entrust him with the room. It’s a smart hire for Staley.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
            Well....if we suck at defense next year we will know for sure our players suck! LOL!

:beer:
            We already have players on the defense who suck and need to go. We don't have to wait for next year to know.

This coaching staff is going to have to get rid of some players in order to bring in better players, if they want to succeed.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              The Chargers made things official when they announced that the team had agreed to terms with all three of their new coordinators, including new defensive coordinator Renaldo Hill.

Hill played 10 years in the NFL with four different teams. Two of those being AFC West teams in the Raiders and Broncos. Him and Staley spent a lone year together in 2019 when the former was still the team’s cornerbacks coach and the latter was coaching the outside linebackers.

With Staley having already stated he would be calling the defense, it’s up in the air exactly what the rest of Hill’s responsibilities will be if he’s not technically in charge of the team’s defense. He’ll likely help build the unit alongside Staley and play a key role in developing some of their younger defensive backs in the same manner that he helped safety Justin Simmons become a Second-Team All-Pro in 2019.

To get some more information and help you all get a better sense of who the Chargers got in their new DC, I asked Joe Rowles of SB Nation’s Broncos site, Mile High Report, if he could help enlighten our readers.

1.) What do you think has been the biggest impact that Renaldo Hill has left on the Broncos secondary? How much credit does he get for developing Justin Simmons into an All-Pro player?

Rowles: I give more credit to Fangio, Donatell, and Simmons for the All-Pro play than anyone. Obviously Hill played a factor, but I think where his presence shows up most is in the fact that the Broncos had 10 starting cornerbacks last year and the defense didn’t completely fall apart. At one point Parnell Motley and Will Parks were signed from their former teams and thrown into the fire within a couple of weeks. A position coach is critically important for those types of situations and Hill did a fantastic job of it.

2.) Can you enlighten us with any known information regarding what kind of defense you expect the Chargers to run in 2021? Brandon Staley will be calling the plays, but based on his and Hill’s experience in Denver together, do you believe there will be any similarities to Denver’s system under Vic Fangio?

Rowles: Back when Fangio was first hired I looked through and tried to break downwhere his scheme was a clear departure from the Vance Joseph/Wade Phillips scheme. This last week on my podcast Cover2Broncos I spoke with Cody Alexander about the differences he saw with Staley and Fangio’s scheme. The big thing was Staley showed a preference for a 5 man front in L.A. Now a part of this may be due to the talent he had up front compared to his linebacker corps with the Rams. Denver has played what amounts to a 2-4-5 for the vast majority of Fangio’s time with Denver.

One area where Staley’s defense will surely be a big adjustment for the Chargers is that philosophically the scheme is built back to front. Sound coverage on the backend will be the priority. Staley and Fangio both have shown that they’ll build many of their concepts out of a two high safety structure. This is a big difference from what is common around the league where there tends to be a clear free and strong safety. Both coaches will spin the safeties after the snap here and there, but they’re far more likely to play light in the box in order to slow down passing attacks.

3.) Are there any Broncos free agents that you believe have a good chance at ending up with the Chargers?

Rowles: I could see players like DaVante Bausby or maybe even A.J. Bouye receiving some interest as the Chargers could use more boundary corners. A couple others to keep an eye out for are Joe Jones, Josh Watson, Jurrell Casey. As soon as the Broncos cut Justin Hollins last year I knew he’d end up with the Rams so that may be something to keep an eye on as we get into camp.

4.) In your opinion, do you think this was a good hire by the Chargers? Will the Broncos miss Hill?

Rowles: I was worried the Chargers would hire Brian Daboll because of what he’d potentially mean for Justin Herbert going forward. Staley’s hire means there could be some long term questions about stability on the offensive side of the ball, but he was my second least favorite target. LA has the pieces to turn into a very strong new age defense quickly and the system has given Pat Mahomes some issues in the redzone.

As for Hill? I’m happy for him even if it is a blow to the Broncos. Ed Donatell is a DB coach first and he clearly thought enough of Hill to entrust him with the room. It’s a smart hire for Staley.
              Good write up -= thanks for posting. My thoughts about the players

Casey and Bouye - probably not for either. Casey is too old - already have Linval. Bouey - might as well keep Hayward. Younger to me is better.
              Bausby might be somebody to look at

The two LBs - Jones or Watson -- interesting if they don't bring back Perryman

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

One area where Staley’s defense will surely be a big adjustment for the Chargers is that philosophically the scheme is built back to front. Sound coverage on the back end will be the priority. Staley and Fangio both have shown that they’ll build many of their concepts out of a two high safety structure. This is a big difference from what is common around the league where there tends to be a clear free and strong safeties. Both coaches will spin the safeties after the snap here and there, but they’re far more likely to play light in the box in order to slow down passing attacks.

Noted.

See signature.

:coffee:

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Us fans were the sacrificial lambs for the 2020 season.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

A sacrificial lamb is typically one person that is part of a group of people guilty of some type of bad behavior, who is chosen and punished to set an example. In Lynn's case, he was head and shoulders above the others as far as incompetence goes...though Gus and Stewart were also guilty...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

^ This...a two high safety structure makes a ton of sense, whether it's the cover 2, 4, etc...to defend vs. good qb's like Mahomes, you're putting too much pressure on a single high safety to cover the entire deep zone, especially if some of your corners have lost a step (Hayward). I think Adderley would thrive in a two high safety scheme.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Cut the losers to honor the NFL gods. Hire a Lombardi to win a Lombardi!

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Us fans were the sacrificial lambs for the 2020 season.
                          It's all perspective.

You could say your happy with his accomplishments in the first couple years in LA.
                          not so sure about the change from Rivers and wanted to blame him. But with Rivers retired and Herbert here. It worked out long term very well. The Lynn 4 years gave us a playoff road win. And a new franchise QB who played out of his mind. And set a foundation the franchise went out of their way to thank him for. And 33-31 record overall.

​​​​​​I don't care how long it take. You will all learn to put respect on that man's mame.

It's like you don't realize what the 4 years before he was here was like. They were wasted years. At least Lynn did some good things and reset the team towards a new era.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X