• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

After the two spent hours ‘always looking for the next thing’ as Denver Broncos assistants in 2019, Staley is head coach of the Chargers and has hired Hill to oversee the Bolts’ d…

Brandon Staley and Renaldo Hill spent countless hours in each other’s offices as defensive coaches on the Denver Broncos’ staff to not only prepare for their 2019 opponents but for future offensive schemes they might face.

Planning ahead is why Staley, the recently hired Chargers head coach, decided to hire Hill as his defensive coordinator.

“Let’s figure out some puzzles,” Hill recalled Wednesday about his game-planning hours with Staley. “Let’s find the new things that people are doing and let’s attack them … We’re always looking for the next thing. How can we improve our defense?”

The two became close during their lone season together in Denver, with Staley as the outside linebackers coach and Hill as the defensive backs coach. Hill remained in the same role with the Broncos this past season and Staley went on to be the Rams’ defensive coordinator.

Now they’ll reunite to use their past notes and brainstorm for the Chargers.

Staley will call the plays for the defense, but Hill said the new job intrigued him because he knows Staley will allow his heavy input on game days.

“I’m going to lean on (Staley) earlier in this process,” said Hill, a first-time defensive coordinator. “But I know he’s always open to listen to ideas. And he has his own ideas, I have mine. But as a defensive staff, we’ll definitely collaborate on all those and come up with the best for the guys, but he’s always been open to listening and receiving. A lot of times you may be in rooms and it might not be received as well.”

Hill, 42, played 10 NFL seasons as safety for the Arizona Cardinals, then-Oakland Raiders, Miami Dolphins and Broncos. He coached for college programs Wyoming and Pittsburgh before landing his first NFL coaching job with the Dolphins in 2018 as an assistant defensive backs coach.

Hill said Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles inspired him to become a coach when Bowles coached him with the Dolphins in 2008.

“The way his brain operated, that’s something that I think we have a shared common,” Hill said about Bowles. “Always thinking from a different lens. He always talked to me about, ‘You know this game. There will be a lot of people with a lot of experience.’ It’s good to pick up that experience from him and understand that they have something to offer, but don’t sell yourself short on the things you know about this game as well.”

Staley also noticed that potential in Hill, and referred to him as a “young superstar,” according to Hill during the recruiting pitch.

Hill said this opportunity will help him learn how to coach defensive linemen and linebackers while still sharing his extensive knowledge to the Chargers’ defensive backs.

Eventually, Hill wants to use this experience for bigger coaching roles and he believes Staley will allow him to grow as a coach with the Chargers.

“That’s one of the first things that Staley mentioned is about putting guys in better positions in order to move up and advance,” said Hill, a Black coach, when discussing the NFL’s lack of diversity among coaches. “It just wasn’t lip service.

“(Staley is) always talking with his staff about putting guys in position to move up, and I know that’s something, once I step in that building, that’d be the game plan for not only myself but the rest of the staff.”

Hill didn’t get into specifics about how the Chargers will look defensively in 2021, but he stressed the importance of bringing pressure and disguising coverages, possibly from a Cover-2 scheme with two safeties downfield.

The Chargers rarely blitzed in the past four seasons with Gus Bradley as defensive coordinator. Bradley often utilized a four-man rush and used Cover-3 with a single-high safety.

“You have to bring those simulated pressures,” Hill said. “You have to bring those five-man pressures as well as six. Obviously, you want to be able to mix those things in, but you also want to see how your personnel fits to all those things.

“But I think it’s important to understand the personnel and how we want to operate, but I believe you have to bring pressure in this league. I believe you have to change it up and give these quarterbacks multiple looks. You also have to know who you’re going against, because of the quarterbacks we have in our conference, they invite pressure.”

Hill was likely referring to Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes. He’s looking forward to game planning against him twice a year, along with the many other talented quarterbacks in the NFL.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      Some good stuff on Hill, especially the fans who want a more aggressive scheme.

If you can creatively blitz and get home to the QB it makes your illusion to blitz that more effective as well. Sort of like play action fake on offense except instead of going for the deep pass your just going up the gut.....or something like that?

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Popper left off the part right after that answer in which Hill thoughtfully said something like..."but it depends on your personnel and who you are playing. Some QB invite the pressure"

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Renaldo Hill - “You have to bring those simulated pressures,” Hill said. “You have to bring those five-man pressures as well as six. Obviously, you want to be able to mix those things in, but you also want to see how your personnel fits to all those things.

How do you bring simulated pressures, five-man pressures, as well, as six, running a 4-3 scheme? You don't. You change the scheme and bring in free agents and draftees to compete in your new 5-man front scheme, which is designed to do all those things Coach Hill asked for as DC.

Comment

• Biggestfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
            Renaldo Hill - “You have to bring those simulated pressures,” Hill said. “You have to bring those five-man pressures as well as six. Obviously, you want to be able to mix those things in, but you also want to see how your personnel fits to all those things.

How do you bring simulated pressures, five-man pressures, as well, as six, running a 4-3 scheme? You don't. You change the scheme and bring in free agents and draftees to compete in your new 5-man front scheme, which is designed to do all those things Coach Hill asked for as DC.
            I tend to agree. This team needs a personnel overhaul on this defense. Our dline is trash aside from 1 or 2 players. That's not gonna cut it

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post

I tend to agree. This team needs a personnel overhaul on this defense. Our dline is trash aside from 1 or 2 players. That's not gonna cut it
              I wonder how many of our guys Gus will try and bring to the Raiders. Not that i care but i think maybe he might try to recruit Perryman.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post

Said it in another thread about the OL. But the way Staley has come in with his coaches - he for sure has a plan. My guess, he will confer with Telesco and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better idea of how he wants his team to play than say McCoy and Lynn did.

Which means if Lynn were back - maybe a guy like Perryman is brought back, or even Feeney or Hayward.

But OL - I can see some major turnover other than Bulaga (and he is strictly cap related)
                DLine - need a new Edge, not named Ingram and another IDL
                CBs - Harris is probably safe, I think Davis is back but Hayward - last year of deal - I say spend that money for a guy that will be here the next 2-3 years

I think there will be more turnover than if Lynn were brought back and only a new DC and ST coach were added. These are not STaleys guys.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wonder how many of our guys Gus will try and bring to the Raiders. Not that i care but i think maybe he might try to recruit Perryman.

Gus has his work cut out for him, brother. Nelson Agholor addressed the Raiders after Week 16. lol

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Gus has his work cut out for him, brother. Nelson Agholor addressed the Raiders after Week 16. lol
                    Dudes kind of a handful but at least he's got standards and pride in workmanship. I say sign him to a two year deal at a reasonable price and then say who cares about Mike Williams.

:2cents:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Silversurfer
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Los Angeles
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Said it in another thread about the OL. But the way Staley has come in with his coaches - he for sure has a plan. My guess, he will confer with Telesco and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better idea of how he wants his team to play than say McCoy and Lynn did.

Which means if Lynn were back - maybe a guy like Perryman is brought back, or even Feeney or Hayward.

But OL - I can see some major turnover other than Bulaga (and he is strictly cap related)
                      DLine - need a new Edge, not named Ingram and another IDL
                      CBs - Harris is probably safe, I think Davis is back but Hayward - last year of deal - I say spend that money for a guy that will be here the next 2-3 years

I think there will be more turnover than if Lynn were brought back and only a new DC and ST coach were added. These are not STaleys guys.
                      I wouldnt mind bringing back Perryman, god if he can be utilized the way he should and maybe rotate his ass so he stays healthy. Curious what Staleys thoughts are on him.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

In a dream I had we re-signed Tyrell Williams. Not saying he is a dream WR, rather that I dreamt it. What happened to him with the Raiders? Injury?

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          In a dream I had we re-signed Tyrell Williams. Not saying he is a dream WR, rather that I dreamt it. What happened to him with the Raiders? Injury?

TG
                          Yep. He may be cut since they have revamped their WR possition but id say only if they resign Agholar.

Comment

Working...
                          X