New Direction In Coaching Hires. Anyone Else Surprised?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

If you take TT at his word, and I don’t see why you wouldn’t, than both McCoy and Lynn had full control of who was on their staff. The “change in philosophy” is likely just Staley being the one wanting to go in that direction for his staff.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think the coaching staff is indicative that the front office is hands off. They hired a guy they trust and are letting him call his shots. It's a good sign. And IF they ever were meddling like Weddle and Slausson say and Woodhead sort of hedges on, looks like they are turning a new leaf.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jox g
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
        These new coaching hires are unprecedented for a Charger team under the Spanos' regime. Talk about a radical shift in their usual MO, wow. I'd almost call it a daring experiment/gamble. I never thought of the Spanos' as the type of owners to invest in a youth movement to this extent, at least as far as age and NFL experience goes. In a way, it's a relief from their conservative approach of hiring older well established NFL coaches and maintaining a status quo. No doubt Herbert's phenomenal success was a real eye opener to them. I never imagined they could go this "new" with so many key coaching positions, most with less than five years of NFL coaching experience. A somewhat radical departure from years past. Heh..."Do Something different !" They sure have.
        Sun Tzu Art of War: The winning army is the one who's spirit is the same level all throughout the ranks. ALL of his defensive coaches have the same connection - tutelege under the Fangio genius D system of which Staley is now the head. For offense, he connected w/ his former OC at Mercy something college - Lombardi. They will be unified with how they want to customized the O for JH. Cool huh?
        I'm not young anymore, but my young buddies and kid run circles around me w/ regards to technology and innovation.

Remember these 3 coaches have had Offense AND Defense Backgrounds - succeeded in NFL.
        1. Tomlin (similar ONE year wonder prior to HC gig)
        2. Stefanski from Cleve
        3. Good ole BOBBY ROSS

I am optimistic.

If he is the genius people say he is, I'm hoping he'll be the young BB who showed Brady ALL of the possible nuances defenses could throw at him, (stay one step ahead like chess) and Herbert the young TB12.

Peace.

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Not so sure about the Joe Lombardi hire. Having a legendary grandpa is not a qualification and he hasn't received much interest outside of NOLa. He's been there since 2007 save a brief stint in Detroit as OC for not even two seasons in 2014-15 and that didn't go well. We'll see.
          Reich sucked his 1st time out as an OC. 2nd time - he did well....then got promoted afterward.
          You might be able to say the same for Lombardi.

I understand the concern - however Stafford never went to the Pro Bowl before or after Lombardi showed up. In '14 under Lomba, Stafford did go to 1st and only Pro Bowl. Promising.

Unity is important so for Staley to get an invite to the Saints cam because he knew Lomba from college (his OC) - that's BIG. Now Staley hires him as his OC. Good comraderie/understanding.

Makings of a good bromance

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

It’s refreshing and scary at the same time. Despite what we say we want in this team, when it does happen it goes against expectations and almost has the opposite effect. We are sometimes the very conservative dinosaurs that Lynn is.

Comment

• jox g
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
              Definitely surprising. To me the biggest thing is hearing a HC talk about all 3 phases of the game consistently. You ask him a question about defense and he brings up the offense and special teams, ask about the offense and he talks about the importance of understanding the defense. He seems to actually understand the role of the HC to make a complete team not just get the most out of 1 phase. Hopefully his coordinator hires share in that conviction and we see a complete team effort on Sundays. No more wondering which unit is going to let down the other 2.
              3 of his new hires know OFFENSE & DEFENSE (like him). What a plus!!!!!! +++++
              Those 3 should become HC candidates quickly.
              Mike Tomlin, Stefanski, Bobby Ross all had these qualities

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

What I like about Staley is that we he is asked about offense, he says he is not just going to 'sub contract it out' and that he has a plan for the whole team and how it all fits together. That is unique and refreshing. And difficult to pull off.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  What I like about Staley is that we he is asked about offense, he says he is not just going to 'sub contract it out' and that he has a plan for the whole team and how it all fits together. That is unique and refreshing. And difficult to pull off.

TG
                  I am a bit surprised that Coach Hill is not calling the defense. I get that Staley can eventually turn that over to Hill. I just don't want Staley to be like Kingsbury who when asked why he won't give up play calling "job would be too boring. I like interacting with the QBs and game plan"

I think the job is pretty big for a HC so maybe over time, Staley will delegate that part of his job.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am a bit surprised that Coach Hill is not calling the defense. I get that Staley can eventually turn that over to Hill. I just don't want Staley to be like Kingsbury who when asked why he won't give up play calling "job would be too boring. I like interacting with the QBs and game plan"

I think the job is pretty big for a HC so maybe over time, Staley will delegate that part of his job.
                    He probably will. He, like BB, will be heavily involved in game planning with an eagle eye on the D.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                      These new coaching hires are unprecedented for a Charger team under the Spanos' regime. Talk about a radical shift in their usual MO, wow. I'd almost call it a daring experiment/gamble. I never thought of the Spanos' as the type of owners to invest in a youth movement to this extent, at least as far as age and NFL experience goes. In a way, it's a relief from their conservative approach of hiring older well established NFL coaches and maintaining a status quo. No doubt Herbert's phenomenal success was a real eye opener to them. I never imagined they could go this "new" with so many key coaching positions, most with less than five years of NFL coaching experience. A somewhat radical departure from years past. Heh..."Do Something different !" They sure have.
                      Having first time HCs is nothing new. It looks extreme because our youngest HC ever picked a younger staff that he has worked with, though Lombardi has some grays. Not shocking. .

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Nothing wrong with that. If thats what keeps him focused and competitive. Reed still does it.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          Pretty much retired......
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Sun Tzu Art of War: The winning army is the one who's spirit is the same level all throughout the ranks. ALL of his defensive coaches have the same connection - tutelege under the Fangio genius D system of which Staley is now the head. For offense, he connected w/ his former OC at Mercy something college - Lombardi. They will be unified with how they want to customized the O for JH. Cool huh?
                          I'm not young anymore, but my young buddies and kid run circles around me w/ regards to technology and innovation.

Remember these 3 coaches have had Offense AND Defense Backgrounds - succeeded in NFL.
                          1. Tomlin (similar ONE year wonder prior to HC gig)
                          2. Stefanski from Cleve
                          3. Good ole BOBBY ROSS

I am optimistic.

If he is the genius people say he is, I'm hoping he'll be the young BB who showed Brady ALL of the possible nuances defenses could throw at him, (stay one step ahead like chess) and Herbert the young TB12.

Peace.
                          Every time I drive past Georgia Tech, I give a thumbs up to the National Championship banner they have displayed out of respect for Bobby.

Comment

Working...
                          X