New Direction In Coaching Hires. Anyone Else Surprised?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bartman83642
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Not really surprised by the way they did things and I think a big part of going this way may be to try to project a new image and to hopefully to try to attract any new fans that they can. I am thinking this way for a number of reasons.

Since the move to LA they couldn't sell out a small soccer stadium and most of the fans there were fans of the opposing teams. Now fast forward to the first year in the new stadium and due to the pandemic they were playing without fans. Even without any fanbase at the games to give a vocal opinion of the team and coaching there was tons of media coverage stating that the Chargers had to get a new coach. What they had going obviously wasn't working for them so out with the old and in with the new.

I think the head coaching pick fits in with this as well if you compare then to now. Before they picked up Lynn from Buffalo whose program wasn't being overall successful. The new pick is coming from a team that has been winning. That can have great fan base and media appeal especially since the team has what appears to be a great new young QB in Herbert. Since with the exception of one year out of the last 11 the teams record has been mediocre to poor this kind of shake up makes sense to me. Now whether or not this will actually translate into new\more ticket sales, media and merchandising $$$ is the big question. My guess is that the idea has played a part in the decision making of the team. I think in the short run this is a no lose situation for the team. If they aren't successful to start with they have the built in response got a new coaching staff, give us time. And if they start off winning they made the right choice.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

10 years from now...”text 4678 for a pass play...text 5879 for a run play. 25 seconds and counting. Text now.”

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
        These new coaching hires are unprecedented for a Charger team under the Spanos' regime. Talk about a radical shift in their usual MO, wow. I'd almost call it a daring experiment/gamble. I never thought of the Spanos' as the type of owners to invest in a youth movement to this extent, at least as far as age and NFL experience goes. In a way, it's a relief from their conservative approach of hiring older well established NFL coaches and maintaining a status quo. No doubt Herbert's phenomenal success was a real eye opener to them. I never imagined they could go this "new" with so many key coaching positions, most with less than five years of NFL coaching experience. A somewhat radical departure from years past. Heh..."Do Something different !" They sure have.
        I agree..... just them allowing a HC to actually choose his entire staff is totally new for them, let alone how young all these guys are.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Lynn and McCoy weren't fit to be a HC. And they didn't know what they were doing.
          Agree. We don't yet know if Staley will be any different. I'm more optimistic about him than the other two.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Agree. We don't yet know if Staley will be any different. I'm more optimistic about him than the other two.
            This year we're seeing a lot of relatively unknown hires by many NFL teams. More so than I ever recall seeing.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ninja, Steve and Wood could comprise the foundation of our "TPB Fan Playcalling Committee"...
              I’ll stick to talent evaluation
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
                Not really surprised by the way they did things and I think a big part of going this way may be to try to project a new image and to hopefully to try to attract any new fans that they can. I am thinking this way for a number of reasons.

Since the move to LA they couldn't sell out a small soccer stadium and most of the fans there were fans of the opposing teams. Now fast forward to the first year in the new stadium and due to the pandemic they were playing without fans. Even without any fanbase at the games to give a vocal opinion of the team and coaching there was tons of media coverage stating that the Chargers had to get a new coach. What they had going obviously wasn't working for them so out with the old and in with the new.

I think the head coaching pick fits in with this as well if you compare then to now. Before they picked up Lynn from Buffalo whose program wasn't being overall successful. The new pick is coming from a team that has been winning. That can have great fan base and media appeal especially since the team has what appears to be a great new young QB in Herbert. Since with the exception of one year out of the last 11 the teams record has been mediocre to poor this kind of shake up makes sense to me. Now whether or not this will actually translate into new\more ticket sales, media and merchandising $$$ is the big question. My guess is that the idea has played a part in the decision making of the team. I think in the short run this is a no lose situation for the team. If they aren't successful to start with they have the built in response got a new coaching staff, give us time. And if they start off winning they made the right choice.
                I was thinking about this as well.
                He who shall remain nameless and his progeny ABSOLUTELY failed in their attempt to gain any kind of ground in a market they were not welcome. And with Los Angeles being such an image driven town, they desperately needed to change course.
                On just the eye test alone, Staley looks LA, where as somebody like Daboll, not so much. Obviously, regardless of which field of entertainment you're in, even in Hollywood, substance will be required.
                I'm sure we're all hoping Coach Staley is up to the task.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

I was thinking about this as well.
                  He who shall remain nameless and his progeny ABSOLUTELY failed in their attempt to gain any kind of ground in a market they were not welcome. And with Los Angeles being such an image driven town, they desperately needed to change course.
                  On just the eye test alone, Staley looks LA, where as somebody like Daboll, not so much. Obviously, regardless of which field of entertainment you're in, even in Hollywood, substance will be required.
                  I'm sure we're all hoping Coach Staley is up to the task.
                  The above point, not about Staley looking like LA - but just the big splash type hire is why I thought Harbaugh - if both sides wanted, was a match for the Chargers. He would have generated buzz. But we see that did not happen. Granted, Jim Harbaugh was also a 4-5 year coach

Here is hoping Staley is that 10-12 year coach!

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

I would have liked Harbaugh as well.
                    I'm getting excited about Staley and his young group of coaches.
                    Can't wait for FA to start to see where we'll eventually go on draft day.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      I would have liked Harbaugh as well.
                      I'm getting excited about Staley and his young group of coaches.
                      Can't wait for FA to start to see where we'll eventually go on draft day.
                      I have a feeling with the way Staley has built the coaching staff - well let me say, for the OLine especially but maybe even other areas, nobody is as safe as they might have been under Lynn/Telesco. I think Staley is not going to be tied to anybody that was not under his program. That doesn't mean guys like Henry, Mike Davis, Jenkins won't be brought back. But I can see, especially at say the OLine - Bulaga might be the only returning player.

If you keep Turner and bring back Feeney to play OC - that is like 15m of cap space (as it stands now). I can see Staley getting his guys in that are better and won't cost as much. Think Austin Blythe instead of Feeney. Or they go heavy in the draft. Maybe Linsley or Feliciano. (just find teams without cap space to bring back their OL players that might not be stars but better than what the Chargers had).

I think Staley has a "process for his progam" that too date Telesco never had with McCoy or Lynn.

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

It's more like ownership is finally letting the new coach hire his own staff.....that's progress IMHO.

Let's hope the owners let the coach put the best players on the field too.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Strength and Conditioning coaches. New hires? Less injuries next year? No whammy no whammy...stop!
                          Last edited by Caslon; 01-30-2021, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X