New Direction In Coaching Hires. Anyone Else Surprised?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nothing wrong with that. If thats what keeps him focused and competitive. Reed still does it.
    True - but by bigger point is he still focused enough on the entire team. Big Andy is
    I hope Staley is even calling plays

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

For those wondering about the front office choice of a defensive coach for a young QB, they did address that, by hiring a former QB as head coach.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        If you take TT at his word, and I don’t see why you wouldn’t, than both McCoy and Lynn had full control of who was on their staff. The “change in philosophy” is likely just Staley being the one wanting to go in that direction for his staff.
        Lynn and McCoy weren't fit to be a HC. And they didn't know what they were doing.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Not so sure about the Joe Lombardi hire. Having a legendary grandpa is not a qualification and he hasn't received much interest outside of NOLa. He's been there since 2007 save a brief stint in Detroit as OC for not even two seasons in 2014-15 and that didn't go well. We'll see.
          It may be that Lombardi is Staley's "yes man." They way they go way back to their college days and all that...I'm guessing Staley designs the O, with input from Lombardi and others, but Staley designs a majority of the plays, again with input to fine tune everything, then hands the playbook to Lombardi who is in charge of coaching up the O to run those plays...

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

It may be that Lombardi is Staley's "yes man." They way they go way back to their college days and all that...I'm guessing Staley designs the O, with input from Lombardi and others, but Staley designs a majority of the plays, again with input to fine tune everything, then hands the playbook to Lombardi who is in charge of coaching up the O to run those plays...
            Doubtful.

Sounds like it will be a collaboration between Staley, Lombardi, and Herbert.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Doubtful.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he reaches out to a few of you for inputs as well
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I wouldn’t be surprised if he reaches out to a few of you for inputs as well
                Ninja, Steve and Wood could comprise the foundation of our "TPB Fan Playcalling Committee"...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Doubtful.

Agree...my point was, I think Staley wanted an OC would would collaborate, and not an OC already set in his ways...but as HC, no doubt that Staley will leave his imprint on both O and D in a big way...

Comment

• Silversurfer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Los Angeles
                    • Send PM

Young and innovative, I like it. The old way wasnt working or never has. Lets see the result before we judge.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Anyone from the McVay coaching tree is a hot commodity right now.

Spanii just pulled the trigger on a coach from that tree.

Whether it works out or not, we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2020
                        • Send PM

They all say the things you want to hear and they all say it well to lead you to believe they are the right hires.

It all comes down to the decision making process on whether to kick a field goal, down by 8 with 2 minutes left on the clock to have chance to go to the SB.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Los Angeles
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                          They all say the things you want to hear and they all say it well to lead you to believe they are the right hires.

It all comes down to the decision making process on whether to kick a field goal, down by 8 with 2 minutes left on the clock to have chance to go to the SB.
                          Hopefully were not in that situation because that's an uphill battle. Staley indirectly said yesterday on the Mcafee show he would go for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X