Are The Chargers Switching To A 3-4 Defense?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madcaplaughs
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

5-2-5 would be an advantage indeed as it would give us 12 men on the field.
    I like it!

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

5-2-5 would be an advantage indeed as it would give us 12 men on the field.
      Ahhh...the genius of Staley will disguise it to look like 11.

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Pretty confident you're going to like the results on the field. This is better team-defense, from discipline and gap-integrity standpoint.
        We did not have ideal gap integrity under Gus' system because well....ever since the Pats exposed us 2 seasons ago teams would just run on us and not to mention take what our defense gives them which is a lot. In contrast That 3-4 Eagle base the RAMS ran covered the gaps effectively despite having lighter than typical weight NT's in a 3-4. Looking at their depth chart their NTs are like 310lbs and DEs in the 275 -280 range. Our D-line is heavier!!! Our DE's are in the 280-309 range and Linval is 330lbs. Perhaps Staley is relying on movement up front to occupy and close gaps quickly rather than old school 3-4 defense where the NT and DE initiate and absorb physical contact from double teams.

Comment

• Jorgecasas10
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2020
          • Send PM

I prefer the 3-4 scheme we had a really good defense in the 2000s with that scheme

Bosa joseph tillery

Nwousu tranquill perryman murray

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

We did not have ideal gap integrity under Gus' system because well....ever since the Pats exposed us 2 seasons ago teams would just run on us and not to mention take what our defense gives them which is a lot. In contrast That 3-4 Eagle base the RAMS ran covered the gaps effectively despite having lighter than typical weight NT's in a 3-4. Looking at their depth chart their NTs are like 310lbs and DEs in the 275 -280 range. Our D-line is heavier!!! Our DE's are in the 280-309 range and Linval is 330lbs. Perhaps Staley is relying on movement up front to occupy and close gaps quickly rather than old school 3-4 defense where the NT and DE initiate and absorb physical contact from double teams.

EomCAN2UcAEXbHR.jpeg

The week following this game, the Pats played the Rams. And Staley's defense so utterly destroyed the Patriots, Cam was benched in the 3rd quarter.

Final: Rams - 24 Pats - 3

The Patriots game is the reason Lynn was fired, and the reason Staley was hired.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

First... maybe?

Second... it doesn't matter that much, Staley's defense was in sub packages 88% of the time last season (I think that was the number I heard? it was high 80's)

Third... even though we were 'technically" a 4-3 under Gus, there were many times over the past 3 years, where we'd line up with 3 down linemen, and Ingram standing up over an end... which is pretty similar to the 3-4 "over" front.

People get too caught up in 4-3 vs 3-4. Barely run it anyway. We want a good defense, we're going to have to be good in Nickel, Big Nickel, and Dime packages.

I like that people have talked about how well Staley's team communicated, and was effective through disguising coverages and fronts.
              "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Yes. Vic Fangio says the system Brandon was running with the Rams was verbatim to the system they both ran in Chicago in 2018. That was a 3-4 OVER. Which, IMO, was the best defense I'd seen since the 1985 Bears.

Also 5-2-5, but mainly the base defense will be a four or five man defensive front, built around the Eagle Front. The team will also be showing different pre-snap reads, disguising their coverages.
                Most teams switching from a 43 to 34 (or the other way) will play a huge amount of over and under shifts. The assignments for the 43 over/under and the 34 over/under are very, very similar, so almost every team goes that route.

Since our D was based on the old 49ers/Seahawks Hybrid 34/43 Elephant/Leo D, the fronts will be very similar.

The big difference between what Staley has run before and what Gus did was Gus would mainly pre-invert his S, while Staley prefers to have the S rotate based on reads, more like the scheme Pagano ran.

It can be highly effective, but the catch is that it puts a lot of reading and reacting on the S. If you have S who are good at reading offensive actions and have the speed to recover, it should work great. However, some guys struggle with being asked to read so much and are much better with simpler assignments that are pre-determined.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Most teams switching from a 43 to 34 (or the other way) will play a huge amount of over and under shifts. The assignments for the 43 over/under and the 34 over/under are very, very similar, so almost every team goes that route.

Since our D was based on the old 49ers/Seahawks Hybrid 34/43 Elephant/Leo D, the fronts will be very similar.

The big difference between what Staley has run before and what Gus did was Gus would mainly pre-invert his S, while Staley prefers to have the S rotate based on reads, more like the scheme Pagano ran.

It can be highly effective, but the catch is that it puts a lot of reading and reacting on the S. If you have S who are good at reading offensive actions and have the speed to recover, it should work great. However, some guys struggle with being asked to read so much and are much better with simpler assignments that are pre-determined.
                  John Johnson III - in
                  Rayshawn Jenkins - out

James and Johnson as your safeties

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

John Johnson III - in
                    Rayshawn Jenkins - out

James and Johnson as your safeties
                    Yes !!
                    How about Justin Simmons from DEN ?
                    ​​​​​And this is why I like Jevon Holland @ #45.

I enjoyed the hell out of Steve's post, too !!
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Yes. Vic Fangio says the system Brandon was running with the Rams was verbatim to the system they both ran in Chicago in 2018. That was a 3-4 OVER. Which, IMO, was the best defense I'd seen since the 1985 Bears.

Also 5-2-5, but mainly the base defense will be a four or five man defensive front, built around the Eagle Front. The team will also be showing different pre-snap reads, disguising their coverages.
                      This sounds like it will be fun to watch and not real predictable.....we might actually scare some QB's this year..... lol

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

EomCAN2UcAEXbHR.jpeg

The week following this game, the Pats played the Rams. And Staley's defense so utterly destroyed the Patriots, Cam was benched in the 3rd quarter.

Final: Rams - 24 Pats - 3

The Patriots game is the reason Lynn was fired, and the reason Staley was hired.
                        definitely had to be a huge part of it....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yes !!
                          How about Justin Simmons from DEN ?
                          ​​​​​And this is why I like Jevon Holland @ #45.

I enjoyed the hell out of Steve's post, too !!
                          I think the Broncos can create cap space (waiving Bouye who is suspended anyway or Jurell Casey) and bring back Simmons

The Rams will be VERY hard pressed to be enough under the cap to sign draft choices, granted do not have a first and be players in free agency. And I bring up John Johnson as the Chargers will have dollars allocated to Rayshawn Jenkins (Mike Davis and Hunter Henry) in Free AGency. So, whether its Jenkins or a free agent, dollars will be spent.

Comment

Working...
                          X