Are The Chargers Switching To A 3-4 Defense?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Floyd Peters was the guy who brought the single Eagle front to the NFL from colleges.

Peters was the DL and then DC in Minnesota. He stopped using a 34 because it didn't rush the passer very well. So, he moved one of his 34 DE over the outside shade of the weak OG and made the WILL LB come down on the end of the line as a 7 or wide 9 player. That is where the 3 tech DT started being part of the NFL, and Keith Millard is still one of the most successful players that ever played the position. And Chris Doleman, who was considered too weak in pass coverage to play OLB ended up getting a ton of sacks as the weakside DE/OLB coming off the edge.

So, Peters had 1/2 of the alignment that is called of the Eagle alignment or adjustment. He didn't invent it, the guy who popularized it was Vince Dooley who was the long time HC and AD at Georgia (UGA). He pioneered how to adjust to offensive strength/width in college football. A lot of his former assistants were highly prized going to the NFL.

If you do the Eagle to both sides, then it is a DOUBLE Eagle, which again is the alignment Staley is getting so much mileage out of now. It is EXTREMELY popular in college football right now, but it dates back to NFL legend "Greasy" Neal, who was an Philly Eagles coach in the 1950's (and why it was called Eagle). It has been used as a regular part of the 52 and 34 D ever since (both the strong, weak and double eagle).

Everyone used it sparingly until Buddy Ryan used it with 43 personnel to make the 46 D because it allowed him to get man on man matchups in the front 8 and made it almost impossible to block everyone unless your TE and RB could handle an OLB one on one.

At the same time, Fritz Shurmuir used it as part of his Eagle/Hawk personnel group, where he played 2 true DL, then used 5 LB and played everyone in a similar sort of 43 D (just calling them LB) to get a lot of sacks and rush the QB from every spot. He even used the NT from the Double Eagle using a guy named Fred Strickland as a "Nosebacker" (playing at 240lb), instead of a 340lb DL.

If I had to guess where we are going with our D, I would guess that we are going to be continuing following what college D are doing. For the better part of the last decade, college teams don't even pretend to be a 34 or 43 D. They are mostly a 335 or 425 D. Teams started using a DB sized guy at LB, like we did with Adrian Phillips or Kyzir White. Now, teams are going to more of the kind of look like Staley does, which is you give a cover 2 or cover 3 look in the secondary to start, but then rotate into other coverages at the snap. Iowa State gives a lot of cover 3 looks that turn into a tampa 2 look post snap. They also like to rotate to the wide side, so if they start with 3 S as the 3 deep look, they end up with a CB as one of the 3 deep, and rotate into the trips side of the offense. But they can mix up who has who and who can blitz off the edge, so they surprise a lot of teams with some very simple looks.
    Fabulous post, Steve. Buddy Ryan said he learned the basis for the 46 and it's principles under Weeb Ewbank in NY, as a response to Ewbank's QB protection schemes, which boiled down to, always hold back one more blocker than the defense sends defenders, to protect Weeb's QB.

A hybrid front is coming to the Chargers, it's not new, but it's new to Charger fans, it's going to look like a Double-Eagle.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Rams are placing heavy, heavy bets at 3 positions.

'Cold Sweat' by Thin Lizzy

'I bet a whole month's wages
      I haven't seen that much in ages
      I might spend it stages
      Or move right to Las Vegas'

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Rams are placing heavy, heavy bets at 3 positions.

'Cold Sweat' by Thin Lizzy

'I bet a whole month's wages
        I haven't seen that much in ages
        I might spend it stages
        Or move right to Las Vegas'
        Cryin' shame about the Rams.
        Can't buy your way out of cap hell, Stan.
        RIP Phil.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Cryin' shame about the Rams.
          Can't buy your way out of cap hell, Stan.
          RIP Phil.
          I have no idea what players will fit the scheme of the Chargers but I am starting with John Johnson III at safety and probably Austin Blythe. If Henry leaves - maybe Everett too. Or Troy Hill if you waive Hayward,

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have no idea what players will fit the scheme of the Chargers but I am starting with John Johnson III at safety and probably Austin Blythe. If Henry leaves - maybe Everett too. Or Troy Hill if you waive Hayward,
            Well....we've hired the perfect guy to cherry pick the Rams Defensive players. LOL!

:hello:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Day One. Talking how to disguise Derwin in coverage.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Safety, Money, Star...

Safety = 4 DBs.
                Money = 6 DBs.
                Star = 5 DBs.

"It's gonna help Joey."
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Day One. Talking how to disguise Derwin in coverage.

Did you see his collections of jersey from elite pass rushers like Mack, Chubb, etc.? Saying how he made an impact on their development... I’m excited which player(s) he will make better to reach the probowl.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Did you see his collections of jersey from elite pass rushers like Mack, Chubb, etc.? Saying how he made an impact on their development... I’m excited which player(s) he will make better to reach the probowl.
                    And those are the studs he coached directly
                    now he has a whole team to have his hands on, no doubt there will be players on offense who grow that kind of admiration for him
                    admiration that comes from respect for someone who knows what the hell they’re talking about and helps develop those players
                    Herbert is still a sponge, no doubt he’ll respond to Staley in a similar fashion
                    even the studs we already have will have something to be gained
                    can Bosa be a better player under Staley?

side note, his old college coach/legend in Mr. Meyer passed up reuniting with Bosa for that rebuild project in Jacksonville, that had to be a little motivation fuel
                    Im biased but I think Meyer made a BIG mistake passing on the proven Herbert and prime Bosa/James for the unproven Lawrence and draft picks/cap space.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

And those are the studs he coached directly
                      now he has a whole team to have his hands on, no doubt there will be players on offense who grow that kind of admiration for him
                      admiration that comes from respect for someone who knows what the hell they’re talking about and helps develop those players
                      Herbert is still a sponge, no doubt he’ll respond to Staley in a similar fashion
                      even the studs we already have will have something to be gained
                      can Bosa be a better player under Staley?

side note, his old college coach/legend in Mr. Meyer passed up reuniting with Bosa for that rebuild project in Jacksonville, that had to be a little motivation fuel
                      Im biased but I think Meyer made a BIG mistake passing on the proven Herbert and prime Bosa/James for the unproven Lawrence and draft picks/cap space.
                      I mean just IQ alone....if Staley works his magic and increases overall defensive unit IQ to play smarter and faster it would be huge. In that framework Bosa and Derwin would excel. Said 2 players are elite and will be fine. Staley mentioned Kenneth Murray by name a few times in interviews. If there was 1 player on defense to watch for in terms of significant growth under Staley its KM.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I mean just IQ alone....if Staley works his magic and increases overall defensive unit IQ to play smarter and faster it would be huge. In that framework Bosa and Derwin would excel. Said 2 players are elite and will be fine. Staley mentioned Kenneth Murray by name a few times in interviews. If there was 1 player on defense to watch for in terms of significant growth under Staley its KM.
                        Hopefully he’ll unleash Kenneth Murray to wreack havoc to opposing qbs. I know Gus mentioned “unleashing” but we never saw it happened,

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

loved that little clip of Staley and Derwin talking

if DJ33 can stay healthy (we always say that) - but that guy is a difference maker.

Comment

Working...
                          X