Are The Chargers Switching To A 3-4 Defense?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Most teams switching from a 43 to 34 (or the other way) will play a huge amount of over and under shifts. The assignments for the 43 over/under and the 34 over/under are very, very similar, so almost every team goes that route.

Since our D was based on the old 49ers/Seahawks Hybrid 34/43 Elephant/Leo D, the fronts will be very similar.

The big difference between what Staley has run before and what Gus did was Gus would mainly pre-invert his S, while Staley prefers to have the S rotate based on reads, more like the scheme Pagano ran.

It can be highly effective, but the catch is that it puts a lot of reading and reacting on the S. If you have S who are good at reading offensive actions and have the speed to recover, it should work great. However, some guys struggle with being asked to read so much and are much better with simpler assignments that are pre-determined.
    Brandon Staley runs 3-man Eagle front, as well as hybrid fronts to show pressure, and his secondary rotates from a pre-snap look, disguised and then rotates into a Cover-1 or similar zone or man package.

Gus Bradley ran a 4-3 with a Cover-3, all-game, all-damn-day.

In Bradley's defense, Gus said the Chargers didn't have the talent to play press coverage.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Brandon Staley runs 3-man Eagle front, as well as hybrid fronts to show pressure, and his secondary rotates from a pre-snap look, disguised and then rotates into a Cover-1 or similar zone or man package.

In Bradley's defense, Gus said the Chargers didn't have the talent to play press coverage.
      So do you think that a player like Hayward is brought back - maybe utilize his talents better or they find a CB that might fit the scheme better

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Also, he wanted to make it easy for the players so they play “faster”. He blamed lack of communication that’s why some players were out of position so he dumbed it down.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Most teams switching from a 43 to 34 (or the other way) will play a huge amount of over and under shifts. The assignments for the 43 over/under and the 34 over/under are very, very similar, so almost every team goes that route.

Since our D was based on the old 49ers/Seahawks Hybrid 34/43 Elephant/Leo D, the fronts will be very similar.

The big difference between what Staley has run before and what Gus did was Gus would mainly pre-invert his S, while Staley prefers to have the S rotate based on reads, more like the scheme Pagano ran.

It can be highly effective, but the catch is that it puts a lot of reading and reacting on the S. If you have S who are good at reading offensive actions and have the speed to recover, it should work great. However, some guys struggle with being asked to read so much and are much better with simpler assignments that are pre-determined.
          Brandon Staley uses less split-safety defensive calls than Bradley's Cover-3. Staley leans more Cover-2, as it's easier for run support.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yes !!
            How about Justin Simmons from DEN ?
            ​​​​​And this is why I like Jevon Holland @ #45.

I enjoyed the hell out of Steve's post, too !!
            102282159.jpg.jpg

Steve has shared some good posts on Bucs & Vikings DC Floyd Peters here. AKA Sgt. Rock

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the Broncos can create cap space (waiving Bouye who is suspended anyway or Jurell Casey) and bring back Simmons

The Rams will be VERY hard pressed to be enough under the cap to sign draft choices, granted do not have a first and be players in free agency. And I bring up John Johnson as the Chargers will have dollars allocated to Rayshawn Jenkins (Mike Davis and Hunter Henry) in Free Agency. So, whether its Jenkins or a free agent, dollars will be spent.
              I think Coach Staley brings in a free agent CB, safety John Johnson III & OLB Leonard Floyd. Every other need is built through the draft.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Brandon Staley uses less split-safety defensive calls than Bradley's Cover-3. Staley leans more Cover-2, as it's easier for run support.
                IT depends on what you mean. Both forms of run support from the secondary work well.

Staley's D rotates the secondary into the offense. There is a lot of reading and reacting going on in the back end. So the Rams start most plays in a 7 man front, with the cover 2 shell look for the secondary. When the O declares it's intention, the Rams rotate the secondary to some key.

Gus Bradley did what is known as pre-inverting his S. Instead of waiting to see what a team does, Bradley will simply puts the SS up at the line, and leaves the FS back. There is no rotation, simply align the SS where you want him, or have him adjust based on a specific person (say Kelcie for KC).

Both are very good in run support and every team has been doing one or the other for the last 40 years.

The most important part of run support, is that no matter how you want to disguise it, EVERYONE has to play their assignments. You can have the best rotating zone sky or cloud rotations, but if the front 7 can't remain gap sound, it doesn't matter what you do on the backend.

The two key elements of good team D is that all 11 payers on the field:
                1). Knows their assignments
                2). Can execute their assignment

When you watch the all 22 of players, on any given big play that an offense makes, there is always one of those 2 that is a problem.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Take away the short crossers.
                  Tyreek kills the football world with YAC.

Find someone who can MAN Kelce and Waller of LVR. Calling Derwin.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

102282159.jpg.jpg

Steve has shared some good posts on Bucs & Vikings DC Floyd Peters here. AKA Sgt. Rock
                    Floyd Peters was the guy who brought the single Eagle front to the NFL from colleges.

Peters was the DL and then DC in Minnesota. He stopped using a 34 because it didn't rush the passer very well. So, he moved one of his 34 DE over the outside shade of the weak OG and made the WILL LB come down on the end of the line as a 7 or wide 9 player. That is where the 3 tech DT started being part of the NFL, and Keith Millard is still one of the most successful players that ever played the position. And Chris Doleman, who was considered too weak in pass coverage to play OLB ended up getting a ton of sacks as the weakside DE/OLB coming off the edge.

So, Peters had 1/2 of the alignment that is called of the Eagle alignment or adjustment. He didn't invent it, the guy who popularized it was Vince Dooley who was the long time HC and AD at Georgia (UGA). He pioneered how to adjust to offensive strength/width in college football. A lot of his former assistants were highly prized going to the NFL.

If you do the Eagle to both sides, then it is a DOUBLE Eagle, which again is the alignment Staley is getting so much mileage out of now. It is EXTREMELY popular in college football right now, but it dates back to NFL legend "Greasy" Neal, who was an Philly Eagles coach in the 1950's (and why it was called Eagle). It has been used as a regular part of the 52 and 34 D ever since (both the strong, weak and double eagle).

Everyone used it sparingly until Buddy Ryan used it with 43 personnel to make the 46 D because it allowed him to get man on man matchups in the front 8 and made it almost impossible to block everyone unless your TE and RB could handle an OLB one on one.

At the same time, Fritz Shurmuir used it as part of his Eagle/Hawk personnel group, where he played 2 true DL, then used 5 LB and played everyone in a similar sort of 43 D (just calling them LB) to get a lot of sacks and rush the QB from every spot. He even used the NT from the Double Eagle using a guy named Fred Strickland as a "Nosebacker" (playing at 240lb), instead of a 340lb DL.

If I had to guess where we are going with our D, I would guess that we are going to be continuing following what college D are doing. For the better part of the last decade, college teams don't even pretend to be a 34 or 43 D. They are mostly a 335 or 425 D. Teams started using a DB sized guy at LB, like we did with Adrian Phillips or Kyzir White. Now, teams are going to more of the kind of look like Staley does, which is you give a cover 2 or cover 3 look in the secondary to start, but then rotate into other coverages at the snap. Iowa State gives a lot of cover 3 looks that turn into a tampa 2 look post snap. They also like to rotate to the wide side, so if they start with 3 S as the 3 deep look, they end up with a CB as one of the 3 deep, and rotate into the trips side of the offense. But they can mix up who has who and who can blitz off the edge, so they surprise a lot of teams with some very simple looks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I think Coach Staley brings in a free agent CB, safety John Johnson III & OLB Leonard Floyd. Every other need is built through the draft.
                      This is the way I see it with free agency
                      TE: either you bring back Henry or you sign somebody who is probably cheaper
                      WR: MIke Williams either redoes his deal or you sign somebody - might not be cheaper if its Golladay
                      S: JJIII probably fits better than Jenkins

OG: paying Turner 11.5m or you are bringing in somebody
                      CB: Hayward - -paying somebody 9.75 or he takes a pay cut or you bringing in somebody - I hope they release him and sign a guy that can play 2-3 year
                      CB: Davis -- need to bring him back or you are paying somebody

based on this I can see John Johnson III, Austin Blythe being targets from the Rams; possibly Floyd (or Reddick)

Doesn't include Feeney, Lamp and Tevi -- probably just for depth - one of these guys if not both are back

So, there is a LOT of work to do before the draft but I do agree - the draft has to be need based
                      LT:
                      IDL: Linval is not getting younger, Square is probably done, Justin Jones a FA next year
                      IOL: even if you keep Turner he is a FA
                      CB: Harris a FA after this year and if you keep Hayward so is
                      Edge: Ingram is not back, Nwosu who knows

those are the first four rounds right there

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is the way I see it with free agency
                        TE: either you bring back Henry or you sign somebody who is probably cheaper
                        WR: MIke Williams either redoes his deal or you sign somebody - might not be cheaper if its Golladay
                        S: JJIII probably fits better than Jenkins

OG: paying Turner 11.5m or you are bringing in somebody
                        CB: Hayward - -paying somebody 9.75 or he takes a pay cut or you bringing in somebody - I hope they release him and sign a guy that can play 2-3 year
                        CB: Davis -- need to bring him back or you are paying somebody

based on this I can see John Johnson III, Austin Blythe being targets from the Rams; possibly Floyd (or Reddick)

Doesn't include Feeney, Lamp and Tevi -- probably just for depth - one of these guys if not both are back

So, there is a LOT of work to do before the draft but I do agree - the draft has to be need based
                        LT:
                        IDL: Linval is not getting younger, Square is probably done, Justin Jones a FA next year
                        IOL: even if you keep Turner he is a FA
                        CB: Harris a FA after this year and if you keep Hayward so is
                        Edge: Ingram is not back, Nwosu who knows

those are the first four rounds right there
                        Before the season I didn't want to pay Henry. After seeing Herbert have good chemistry with him man I think you have to pay the man.

CB depth via FA and draft a edge guy if its that deep this year.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Before the season I didn't want to pay Henry. After seeing Herbert have good chemistry with him man I think you have to pay the man.

CB depth via FA and draft a edge guy if its that deep this year.
                          I agree about Henry. Maybe no combine will help - no chance for agents and teams to "bump" (wink wink) into each other at St. Elmos or Shake n Shack and leaving napkins lying around with (HH 4/48) just lying around.

Comment

Working...
                          X